Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Proper Pedaling?
Quote | Reply
After injuring my knee last year, I've finally been able to get back on my bike!

I'm curious about correct pedaling techniques. How is it supposed to feel?

Does it feel like you initiate from your hip or more from the quad right above the knee?

Does it feel like you push a bit forward from 12 or does it feel like you push straight down?

Any other pointers/feels/ideas to help me ensure I use the right technique? I want to make sure I don't re-injure my knee and develop the right muscles!

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Proper Pedaling? [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't over think it too much. Especially post injury then your best may not be the generic 'perfect'.

But practicing pedaling at higher cadence as exercises (best on a trainer) up to 130rpm for 30-60 second intervals will get you to learn to pedal in a more circular way and avoid pistoning. Same with the one legged drills, but until you're confident you've got good basic technique and no injury impingements I think one legged has as much chance of re-inforcing bad technique as good.

Often the description of pedalling like you are scraping dirt off the bottom of your shoe at the bottom of the stroke is used, and that 'pedal circles not squares' maxim too.

Final thing, fit is incredibly important. You can't use good pedalling form if your saddle height and cleat position isn't really good.
Quote Reply
Re: Proper Pedaling? [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 fit items that can aggravate the knee, seat too low, seat too far forward
Quote Reply