Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Meter - Does this seem right?
Quote | Reply
hey, ppl.

i raced a half this past saturday. looking at my the readings my powertap g3 gave me, i can't help but think it's not reading correctly. i put my profile and bike into bestbikesplit and it stated i should be closer to 200w for a similar time.

here's my bike split (https://www.strava.com/activities/5225921191). says i averaged 160w over the course (missing the first mile, it appears).

i'm 5'9", 160lbs, have a p2 with an aero jacket, giro aerohead helmet, zoot aero suit, and aero position is fairly aggressive. i replaced the battery a few days before the race.

does that seem right, or does the powermeter data seem off?

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter - Does this seem right? [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power does seem quite low for that speed, even though the course is pretty flat.

Did you zero-offset before the race?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is low, but not ridiculously low. That course is almost perfectly flat. I am heavier and probably less aero, and I have a couple races on a flat course that are higher than your power, but within the realms of possibilities.

Here is a great thread you can scan through and look for comparable speeds & powers to see where you are on the range of reasonableness.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Post_your_average_power_(watts)_and_average_speed_(MPH)_from_your_last_race_P3499977-105/
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter - Does this seem right? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
garmin asked to calibrate my powermeter...same thing, right?

eta: looked it up and zero-offset is the same...i didn't set the pedals at 3 and 9 o'clock position, though. that being said, i thought my power meter was reading low, and i think this about confirms it.
Last edited by: d00d: May 4, 21 7:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That seems pretty low to me. I'm the same weight as you and on a flat course I would expect to average around 200 watts for that time. Though your position may be more aero than mine!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, same thing.

Normally, for me, I would expect to need to average around 180 watts to average 22.4 mph on a flat course. I'm pretty aero, but some are more aero...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, if those numbers are right, I'm jealous!

I did that same race, and biked 8 min slower than you. Averaged 10 watts more, and weigh 40 lbs less. Guess I should go get a bike fit. 🤔

Cheers,
Ginger

https://www.instagram.com/gingerhowellracing/
If you find yourself thinking "What if I can't", instead think "What if I can!"
Last edited by: gingersnaps: May 4, 21 8:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extremely similar height/weight/setup (same height/weight/helment, P4 w/ Hed Disc), I would say it seems a little low but not ridiculously so. White Lake is pretty good pavement right? (haven't done the race but I know that it's definitely pretty close to pan flat and has few turns which really helps).

I actually haven't done much TTing in full race kit on flat roads/good pavement, but ~200NP get me around 22mph on rolling terrain with good pavement (call it 400ft gained/10 miles). Take out those rollers, assume little wind, and I could definitely see averaging over 22 at 175ish.

Not sure if you've done the race before, but for a frame of reference, I averaged 25.5 (1:02 as it's a 26ish bike course) on 280NP at Pinehurst a couple weeks. Much hillier, mixed pavement quality, and some turns in the 2nd half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I did White Lake half as part of Triple T in 2010 I rode a 2:33 on about 155 watts and I'm smaller than most people.

https://connect.garmin.com/...rn/activity/52459939

I didn't have power connected to my Garmin because I had a wired unit back then.
Quote Reply