Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Accident - Injury Assessment?
Quote | Reply
Question for the ST Drs(or others with experience):

I recently had a guy in my neighborhood have a pretty bad bike accident that no one witnessed, he can't remember the accident or how he got home, and ended up in the hospital with bleeding in his brain. Later found out a couple out walking saw him picking himself up and getting back on his bike. They asked if he was ok and he gave them an affirmative and then he took off. The only injury they noticed was some road rash.

Thinking about past accidents I've seen, come upon, and been in....are there any quick visual(or other) assessments you can do to tell if someone might not actually be ok?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Accident - Injury Assessment? [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Condition of the helmet. Is the shell dented? Has the foam cracked?

I'm not going to touch the medical signs of concussion. Not qualified. Hopefully someone who is will chime in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:

I recently had a guy in my neighborhood have a pretty bad bike accident that no one witnessed, he can't remember the accident or how he got home, and ended up in the hospital with bleeding in his brain. Later found out a couple out walking saw him picking himself up and getting back on his bike. They asked if he was ok and he gave them an affirmative and then he took off. The only injury they noticed was some road rash.

Thinking about past accidents I've seen, come upon, and been in....are there any quick visual(or other) assessments you can do to tell if someone might not actually be ok?

You could go by what EMTs do, but for most you would need close and extended interaction with the victim.

Can’t do much if person isn’t fond of extended interaction with a stranger, such as checking pupils.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Accident - Injury Assessment? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
ubdawg wrote:

You could go by what EMTs do, but for most you would need close and extended interaction with the victim.

Can’t do much if person isn’t fond of extended interaction with a stranger, such as checking pupils.

So I read that checking for dilation isn't always reliable, but also to check for one to be dilated when the other is not or not as much. Is this something that a non-EMT is going to be able to spot and assess?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great question.

When I had my accident a few weeks ago, I was "out of it" (but never unconscious) for about 15 mins. However, I did not have a concussion. Mine was more Shock related. So, if an untrained person administered a field test, it would be to suggest to the victim to get checked up.

I searched around (like what does the NFL do?) to try to find a good list. I found this (Trauma Neurological Exam - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf (nih.gov) There's a bunch of information there, but here are some extracts.

Of course, it's unlikely that an untrained guy like me could remember all of this, but at least I might be able to remember some of it. It would be nice if there was an easy to remember FAST test, like with a stroke.

The Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) is a commonly used system for grading the severity of brain injury and serves to supplement the neurologic assessment of patients in the setting of trauma. The GCS, detailed below, is based upon the degree of response in three domains: eye-opening, verbal function, and motor function. The latest terminologies are given in parentheses.[2]

Eye Opening (Scored 1-4)

Spontaneous – 4
To speech (To sound) – 3
To pain (To pressure) – 2
No response (None) – 1

Verbal Function (Scored 1-5)

Alert and Oriented (Oriented) – 5
Confused/Disoriented (Confused) – 4
Inappropriate Words (Words) – 3
Incomprehensible Sounds (Sounds) – 2
No Response (None) – 1

Motor Function (Scored 1-6)

Obeys commands – 6
Localizes pain (Localizing) – 5
Withdraws from pain (Normal flexion) – 4
Decorticate flexion (Abnormal flexion) – 3
Decerebrate extension (Extension) – 2
No Response (None) – 1

The GCS Pupils Score (GCS-P) was constructed to include the patient’s responsiveness and pupil reaction, which indicates the brainstem function. For calculating this, the Pupil Reactivity Score (PRS) needs to be calculated initially. If both pupils are reacting to light the PRS is 0, and if both are not reacting to light, the value becomes 2. If one of the pupils is not reacting to light, the PRS becomes 1. (I also read looking to see if the dilation is equal in both eyes)

The GCS-P is calculated by subtracting the PRS from the GCS total score: GCS-P = GCS - PRS. This score acts as an index of the severity of a patient’s clinical state and prognosis.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
windschatten wrote:
ubdawg wrote:

So I read that checking for dilation isn't always reliable, but also to check for one to be dilated when the other is not or not as much. Is this something that a non-EMT is going to be able to spot and assess?

Likely not, unless you carry a flashlight and you’d probably need to know what to look for.
Apologies for having being flippant.

You can’t really do anything if there aren’t any obvious signs of impairment ( such as being obviously uncoordinated or dazed).
Talking them up and asking a couple of concussion questions that are testing coherence and lucidity is a good idea.
But if the person shrugs you off, or is embarrassed by the fall, you may not get far with that.

If I witnessed a hard fall that involved hitting the head, I certainly would be a little bit more persistent and stick around, even if the person would be curt .

Anecdotally, often people just ask “ok?” and keep on going, not even waiting for an answer.
Last edited by: windschatten: May 3, 21 16:24
Quote Reply