Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St George World’s run course
Quote | Reply
Run course starts the same, but comes down that very steep Skyline Drive to Diagonal to a second lap.
Seems brutal to run down Skyline twice. Quads and knees will be a hurting.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: St George World’s run course [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
Run course starts the same, but comes down that very steep Skyline Drive to Diagonal to a second lap.
Seems brutal to run down Skyline twice. Quads and knees will be a hurting.

More than brutal, it is inhumane. The loops make more sense in the opposite direction. Skyliners and Main are extremely steep to try to run down them, much less after cycling 56 miles. You have to jog/ shuffle with the brakes on to cushion but still get a lot of pounding and very respite from climbing. The prospect of that course have me fearing for the health of many knees. The quads can survive but older cartilage damaged knees will be put in a very tough position.
Last edited by: lyla: May 4, 21 5:01
Quote Reply
Re: St George World’s run course [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the St G 70.3 for the first time the other day. The run was tough, but it struck me as a fairly balanced course between running and cycling. 70.3 WC courses are supposed to be hard. This will be a suitable venue.
Quote Reply
Re: St George World’s run course [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is definitely suitable, but that downhill at mile 6 and 12 is extreme. There will be carnage. I will be there and will practice running down very steep hills.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nooooo.... Seriously?

Wow. As if this course wasn't already hard enough!! Well, worlds should be challenging...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is brutal! My boyfriend ran down Skyline and Main on at the race on Saturday to get from cheering at the out and backs to the finish and he's hobbling around the same as I am - ouch! There were some moments in the run course where I thought my knees were goners and there wasn't anything as steep as Skyline. Feeling a bit happier with my finish if it means I don't get a roll down and don't have to do this descent haha!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a different run course than Saturday. Like I said in my OP, I'd rather run *up* that steep hill, than down, which I don't feel would necessarily water the course down.
Quote Reply
Re: St George World’s run course [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My husband did the same and is pretty beat up too! We even said previewing the run course, thank goodness we didn't have to run down that hill!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course WC courses are supposed to be hard. The course from this past weekend was fine. The changes to the run course for September are stupid. Going in the opposite direction would make it extremely difficult. I'm all for difficult. Sending the course down those two hills is flat out dumb. I'll train appropriately for downhill and do eccentric work but I find this change to be utter poop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can someone post the recorded length? is it 13.1miles?
honestly looking at PRO run times and also top 10 of each age group, i am very surprised. those are super fast times considering 430meters elevation gain!
Quote Reply
Re: St George World’s run course [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean the normal St. George course? Yeah, it's legit length. My garmin measured 13.09, and with 2 u-turns, I'd expect it to measure a little shorter than reality.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5226310482

Please ignore the spot where I stopped due to cramping :-P

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Garmin had the run at 13.14 miles and 961 ft elevation gain. The World’s course was is new and painful. I don’t care.about the uphills, but the steep downhill is stupid and we do it twice.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I clocked 13.09 also. Course is legit. Dudes are just faster than before. Which is scary.

https://strava.app.link/6dI47mUc0fb

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd give you a measurement but literally, about 1:30 PM the day before the race, my Garmin GPS wrist band broke. I only had the bike measurement which was accurate. Decided to just screw the data and do what all these toys are meant to do--teach you to know thyself, and race from the heart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
13.09mi for me too. 1463 elevation gain. IM had 1267ft

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply