Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bottles Leaving Rear Mounted X-Lab Super Wing
Quote | Reply
I installed a rear-mounted X-Lab Super Wing last fall.

I deliberately angled the cages on a modest diagonal--not straight up and down--because I was told that would mediate the tendency of bumps in the road to loosen the bottles.

Nonetheless--Once or twice on every big ride, a bottle comes out. I'm very careful to make sure they're pushed all the way down into the cages. And losing the bottles doesn't seem to correlate to the size of the bump I ride over--sometimes it's after a big bump, but sometimes after very modest stuff. If I only fill the bottles 50%--keeping the center of gravity lower--that seems to reduce the problem, but doesn't solve it completely.

Has anybody else had a problem like this? Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles Leaving Rear Mounted X-Lab Super Wing [MadPansy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exchange the cages on your wing with xlab gorilla xt cages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lined the inside of the cages with grip tread. You get self adhesive rolls of it from your local hardware store. Haven’t lost a bottle since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this problem too when I ran a Xlab behind the seat 'wing' setup.

It was maddening. I tried various angles, all ejected. Next I bought adjustable metal cages and tightened them up so much that I literally had to stop the bike and use 2 hands to pull them out and they would barely come out. Even those ejected - several weeks in a row! (I have no idea how!) Duct-taped them to increase grip, still ejected.

And the ejects were as you said - weirdly little correlation with size of bumps. I suspect they work themselves out gradually, or eventually rotate and deform to the 'just right' amount that they can eject.

There was one solution that actually did work, but I didn't like it. Putting a large rubber band around the entire bottle and cage vertically actually did help them stay in. I saw other folks also use velcro straps vertically to keep them secure. THe drawback is that it can be annoying the remove them while riding, but some (not me) were able to flip the strap to the side to drink (not sure how they got the strap back on after.)

I ended up abandoning it altogether.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of bottle cages are you using. You need something super-secure. I use these.
https://profile-design.com/products/kage
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles Leaving Rear Mounted X-Lab Super Wing [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wound up biting the bullet and getting the gorilla cages and then the actual xlab bottles too which have the indent where the notch on the top of the cage is. No issues since...and the bottles are nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles Leaving Rear Mounted X-Lab Super Wing [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Exchange the cages on your wing with xlab gorilla xt cages.

/\/\/\

This, just replace your bottle cages and your problem is solved.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Topeak tri-cage. The high-side is toward the back to keep bottles from coming out that direction.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: May 2, 21 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for not seeing your post - it has been crazy busy and I have been neglecting my Slowtwitch browsing!

There are quite a few factors that come into play when a bottle launches. The cage that is used, the bottle that is used (couple factors here), the angle of the setup (especially cages), the actual mounting of the carrier onto the saddle rails, etc.

Just from what you wrote - we actually recommend athletes having a more vertical position so that the force is on the entire cage vs just half the cage. It is a bit of a goldilocks approach though - you want the bottle to stay in, but at the same time it has to be comfortable for you as well.

We are happy to look at your setup if you wanted to reach out to us :)

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles Leaving Rear Mounted X-Lab Super Wing [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Candice, thanks for responding.

I'm attaching a picture of the setup and would love any guidance.
Last edited by: MadPansy: May 5, 21 16:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Picture didn't come through - looks like a broken link - want to email it to us? info@xlab-usa.com

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply