Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

In a jam 3 weeks before race - broken bolt on aero bar
Quote | Reply
Looking for some advice. First race today in almost two years - local sprint. Race went fine but realized I can't hold the aggressive position for IM Tulsa in three weeks. Made some adjustments when I got home, but when retightening the bolt head broke off - I had my torque wrench set to 4Ncm and it was only supposed to be 3Ncm (seems odd that it would give way with that little difference, but it did). Photos below. The bike is a 2013 Cervelo P3 with original base bar on it so wondering what my options are in the next 2 1/2 weeks before I leave for Tulsa:
  1. Find a shop to attempt to back out the bolt and trust a new bolt will be secure. I'm in a rural area and the shop is not open until Tuesday with minimal experience on tri bikes. If this is a standard repair then great, but if not then I fear having it messed with and waiting another 5 days without success and needing to find an alternative. Or risk it not being safe after the repair.
  2. Find a new compatible base bar to order that hopefully can arrive in time to be installed.
  3. Bite the bullet and buy a new bike - sounds great and I could tell the wife I broke this one, but where would I find a new one to arrive in time for Tulsa?

The broken bolt and the opposite one that I removed to compare - odd thing is they are two different bolts - not sure why but that is what I found.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: In a jam 3 weeks before race - broken bolt on aero bar [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd just get it backed out and throw a new bolt in, can probably find a replacement at the local hardware store. You might consider replacing the bolts on your front end though. Theres some discolorstion around the bolts on your stem that kinda looks like it might be rust, which is a definite no-go for me
Quote Reply
Re: In a jam 3 weeks before race - broken bolt on aero bar [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can't get to shop in time, likely could get broken screw removal kit from hardware store and also new bolt there. Most bolts are just off the shelf size so easy enough to replace. The removal kit is pretty easy to use, just need a drill. Should come out easily as the torque specs are low, I've only ever had trouble with automotive bolts that have a lot more torque and/or corrosion locking them in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a pretty straightforward fix. Ask LBS if they can do it otherwise buy a screw extraction kit. You just drill a hole in the remaining part of the bolt and the screw extractor screws into the hole counterclockwise. Eventually it should grip the bolt and start unscrewing it. If it is really stuck in there, i.e. corroded, you may need to drill it right out with a drillbit the size of the bolt and then clean out the bolt with a tap set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input - glad it is a simpler fix than I was imagining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any local machine shop can do the bolt extraction. This is a common repair/rework for tool dies and other factory equipment.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nm and Ncm are 100 fold different in force...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Option 4: buy the 3t bracket kit for like 40 euros or dollars
Quote Reply
Re: In a jam 3 weeks before race - broken bolt on aero bar [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Any local machine shop can do the bolt extraction. This is a common repair/rework for tool dies and other factory equipment.
Or basic auto mechanic.
Or your local hardware store (the old fashion kind where they have folks who know what they’re doing).

You may even have a friend who works on cars, motors, etc. who can remove it.

This is not an unusual occurrence. Bolts break all the time.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UPDATE - things didn't work out. I now have a broken extractor and LBS thinks it was just too much sweat and corrosion. Any recommendations for a new cockpit for a 2013 Cervelo P3 with expedited shipping? If all else fails I figure I can still ride it since one aero bar is solid but doesn't seem the safest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should still be able to drill it out and re-tap with a slightly larger diameter. As mentioned, this is a task where the LBS aren't the experts, you want to head down to the railway arches or service lane industrial quarter and the dark world of the metal fabricators. Would suggest you don't actually ride down in lycra with freshly shaved legs, but otherwise it's not actually going to be that scary and 15mins later at a laughably low cost then you'll be sorted.
Quote Reply
Re: In a jam 3 weeks before race - broken bolt on aero bar [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Should still be able to drill it out and re-tap with a slightly larger diameter. As mentioned, this is a task where the LBS aren't the experts, you want to head down to the railway arches or service lane industrial quarter and the dark world of the metal fabricators. Would suggest you don't actually ride down in lycra with freshly shaved legs, but otherwise it's not actually going to be that scary and 15mins later at a laughably low cost then you'll be sorted.
Screw extractors are usually harder than a drill, you best bet is a engineering shop that might be able to use spark erosion or welding.
Quote Reply
Re: In a jam 3 weeks before race - broken bolt on aero bar [mikemelbrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM just now sent. Let me know if I can help you out.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shit can those bars you have time to install new ones, go with Profile Design they will give you adjustability and stability.
Quote Reply
Re: In a jam 3 weeks before race - broken bolt on aero bar [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get some Profile Sonic Ergos off Amazon fairly quickly. With luck, you might be able to get the shifter cables through the clamping slot for the extensions so you can use the 3TTT extensions and not need to recable the shifters.

https://www.amazon.com/...l=search-alias%3Daps

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wjoiner wrote:
UPDATE - things didn't work out. I now have a broken extractor and LBS thinks it was just too much sweat and corrosion. Any recommendations for a new cockpit for a 2013 Cervelo P3 with expedited shipping? If all else fails I figure I can still ride it since one aero bar is solid but doesn't seem the safest.

As others have suggested, a good automotive/rail/industrial welding/fabrication type shop will sort this out in no time for you.
There are lots of tricks to get it sorted. I would suggest buying something to replace them with now, so they are ordered and on their way, as they may damage the thread trying to extract it. If you were just in the process of tightening things up you would not expect it to be so firmly corroded in place that it cannot be drilled out etc.
Quote Reply