Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tips for getting tire off wheel?
Quote | Reply
Do you have any tips for getting a tire off a wheel?

specifically I am trying to get a Vittoria Corsa Speed tire off a 2020 Zipp 808 wheel. I am using Silca's Premio tire levers and watched the Silca video on how to do it. I just can't get the bead to loosen enough for me to get the lever beneath.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for getting tire off wheel? [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upstaterun wrote:

specifically I am trying to get a Vittoria Corsa Speed tire off a 2020 Zipp 808 wheel. I am using Silca's Premio tire levers and watched the Silca video on how to do it. I just can't get the bead to loosen enough for me to get the lever beneath.
Thanks!

Go around the whole wheel and be sure that both beads are centered in the rim (the part of the rim with the smallest diameter). Then generate slack in the tire by simultaneously pushing the opposite sides of the tire down toward the bottom of the wheel. There will be plenty of room to get tire irons under the tire at that point.

https://www.roadbikerider.com/...ming-tough-tires-d3/

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Upstaterun wrote:

Thanks!

Did you have it installed tubeless? I'm 0-2 removing a perfectly usable CS that was setup tubeless, ruined the tire both times. One was just this week, I tried the best tricks I know (inflated prior to removal, center the tire, etc), but the sidewall is so thin the tire iron actually just went through it rather than pulling the tire off the rim. I believe this tire had zero miles on it.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put it in the sun for a bit to warm up?

Few years ago my fat bike tires were soo tight on the mulefute 80 rims, my buddy and I ended up resting it on the oven door (just finished eating take n' bake pizza) to warm it up to get the tires off the lip.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for getting tire off wheel? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Upstaterun wrote:

Thanks!

Go around the whole wheel and be sure that both beads are centered in the rim (the part of the rim with the smallest diameter). Then generate slack in the tire by simultaneously pushing the opposite sides of the tire down toward the bottom of the wheel. There will be plenty of room to get tire irons under the tire at that point.

Thank you for this. The tires have a tube in them. It's like the beads are really stuck to the rim all the way around. They are not moving at all, so I can't move them to the center part of the rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can't get the tire off, take it to your local shop (or wherever you bought it, if that's an option) and have them to do it. Guessing it would be a minimal charge, like $10 which is well worth it if you're going to end up destroying the tire, tube and possibly the wheel doing it yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Upstaterun wrote:
klehner wrote:
Upstaterun wrote:

Thanks!

Thank you for this. The tires have a tube in them. It's like the beads are really stuck to the rim all the way around. They are not moving at all, so I can't move them to the center part of the rim.

Just some adhesion that can be broken by pulling the tire perpendicular to and toward the center of the rim, all the way around the rim and on both sides of the tire. Using your hands, you can't damage the tire or the tube doing this.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply