Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike trainer - Heat vs Cool for fitness
Quote | Reply
I have this weird notion that if I am not sweating heavily on the trainer I am not working hard so usually I go the first 45 minutes with no fan and final 45 minutes with fan. When I turn on fan my HR drops and my power goes up which is so nice mentally and physically.

So my question is what gets you the most fitness......riding in cooler temps and producing more power (260-290 watts) or sweating more and producing less power (230-250) when riding trainer?

I also ride outside and in the summer it gets hot so I am always worried that if I only train under perfect conditions real life conditions will mentally crush me.

What is the real answer???

Thanks
David
Quote Reply
Re: Bike trainer - Heat vs Cool for fitness [Greyhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You gain more training stress from the workout with more work.

You gain heat acclimation from exercising in the heat at low and high intensities.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike trainer - Heat vs Cool for fitness [Greyhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power with as much cooling as possible.

And if you're wanting to get heat adapted in the leadup for an event, this can even be done off the bike as to not reduce your power during your training session. Go take a hot bath or a sauna after your workout, or when you're done a workout turn off the fan and go easy for another 30 minutes or so.

Strava
Quote Reply