Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 2001 rebuild project
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if a standard rear brake can replace the Zipp rear brake under the bottom bracket? Was there anything specific about the Zipp rear brake that canNOT be replaced?

Being that it's pretty far down, I was hoping to get something a little stronger, like a dual-caliper... but, I was also thinking of a TriRig Omega1.

Don't have the original Zipp piece, so hoping it can simply be replaced.

Thanks,
Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 rebuild project [StumblinBear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to try frameman2001@msn.com.
Sorry I can't remember his name but many years ago he answered some questions on the Zipp 2001 for me.
I believe that he was involved in the production of the bike with Zipp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,

I have a Tririg Omega installed on my Zipp 2001

You can dig through my blog (linked) there are some posts in there about various rebuilds of it. (pt1 pt2)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Apr 27, 21 15:08
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 rebuild project [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! That’s exactly what I’m planning to do.

Did you have to do anything special when mounting the rear brake? like to the frame? Or is it as simple as mounting a rear brake on a regular frame?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should be pretty straightforward / direct replacement. Routing the cable from where it exits the frame to the hanger will be the only tricky part. I re-used the noodle/adjuster from the original zipp brake, may have to get creative if you don't have that hardware.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 rebuild project [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in the early 2000s through 2012 I built up many zipp 2001 framesets. My name here used to be "zipp2001". I owned 3 of them at one time. 1 for racing, 1 for training and one just to have. I owned 4 different ones. I've sold them all over the years. I once used an older model Campy Delta center pull brake. It hooks up direct with no mods needed. I have also used a narrow side pull without a problem. Other then that I always had the original rear brakes. If you ever need a rear brake cover I have one I'd give away if you pay shipping.

I used to talk with Dave a lot. He worked for Zipp back in the day and hand built all those frames. I got to know those frames like the back of my hand. I got to know Dave was I purchased many many seat bolts from him as I used to break them all the time. I also had a machine shop fabricate an extended seat bracket as the original one did not give me enough height.

If you have any questions about the frames please feel free to ask me.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 2001 rebuild project [Csseeker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a bunch!
I’ll hit u up if I run into any issues.
Cheers
Quote Reply