Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fit Question: Sliding forward while riding (Tri) and having to slide backwards to adjust...
Quote | Reply
I feel like my fit is good. I feel comfortable on the bike. When I start to ride harder (after my warmup of getting out of the neighborhood) I feel like Contador, always having to slide myself backwards in my saddle.

What needs to be done to correct it?
-Slide saddle back
-Slide Saddle forward
-Drop saddle a pinch
-Slide aerobars back?

Hoping there is an easy solution and quick fix. I am also having bad neck pain after my ride-can't seem to relax my neck muscles while looking up.

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Question: Sliding forward while riding (Tri) and having to slide backwards to adjust... [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reach is likely too long. Maybe shorter stem of the saddle position is good or more forward saddle of saddle too far back
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Question: Sliding forward while riding (Tri) and having to slide backwards to adjust... [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Video?
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Question: Sliding forward while riding (Tri) and having to slide backwards to adjust... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Video?
One day Jim is just going to give coded one-character answers instead of putting in the effort to type out a complete word AND a question mark.

But he has a point.

I would also consider aero bar angle, if your position is comfortable, efficient and aero then tilt them up a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Question: Sliding forward while riding (Tri) and having to slide backwards to adjust... [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Video?

One day Jim is just going to give coded one-character answers instead of putting in the effort to type out a complete word AND a question mark.

But he has a point.

I would also consider aero bar angle, if your position is comfortable, efficient and aero then tilt them up a bit.

^^^^This. Try tilting the bars up 10deg. to start.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Question: Sliding forward while riding (Tri) and having to slide backwards to adjust... [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
MattyK wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Video?

But he has a point.

Forgot to add, they are tilted.
I won't be able to load video now, but here is a pic and a previous post. I bought the bike around Christmas and hadn't been outside much due to weather.
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...__P7445346/#p7445346
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend a professional fitting...anything said here is just a guess. First, as a professional fitter, I believe that comfort is king — you’ll never put out good power if you’re uncomfortable. So that begs the question: if you say the bike is comfortable, what’s the big problem? There’s no law against shifting slightly on the saddle, as long as you can sustain your position comfortably. Having said that, and looking at your photo: (1) make sure your saddle isn’t tilted down more than a couple degrees — you should not be sliding forward/down on the saddle and then having to push yourself back. (2) your reach looks a little short...try extending your aerobars forward a bit, so you don’t have to slide back to get enough room for your torso. (3) the saddle looks just a bit high...try dropping a few millimeters. (4) if you can’t get comfortable for long distance, raise the aerobars a bit — your back is hunched, suggesting your flexibility may not be ready for that low a position.

Doug Baumgarten
Director, Sportfit Lab
IBFI Level 3 Bike Fitter
Marymount U. Triathlon Coach
Exercise Physiologist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your saddle is too high and too far forward. Your neck hurts because your reach to the aerobar is too short. These are the two fit problems we see most often with both age groupers and pros alike.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Fit Question: Sliding forward while riding (Tri) and having to slide backwards to adjust... [Sportfitlab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sportfitlab wrote:
I would highly recommend a professional fitting...anything said here is just a guess. First, as a professional fitter, I believe that comfort is king — you’ll never put out good power if you’re uncomfortable. So that begs the question: if you say the bike is comfortable, what’s the big problem? There’s no law against shifting slightly on the saddle, as long as you can sustain your position comfortably. Having said that, and looking at your photo: (1) make sure your saddle isn’t tilted down more than a couple degrees — you should not be sliding forward/down on the saddle and then having to push yourself back. (2) your reach looks a little short...try extending your aerobars forward a bit, so you don’t have to slide back to get enough room for your torso. (3) the saddle looks just a bit high...try dropping a few millimeters. (4) if you can’t get comfortable for long distance, raise the aerobars a bit — your back is hunched, suggesting your flexibility may not be ready for that low a position.

Sportfitlab & Jim@erosports:

Thanks for the info. I agree that I need to drop saddle a little. I felt the saddle was the right height, but after doing some videos last night, I agree I need to drop it. I was using info from a previous fitting for the same bike model, but that was 4 or 5 yrs ago. It is definitely not tilted down. It is angled up a tiny bit. I'll make adjustments and hopefully that will allow me to level the saddle again.

Thanks guys.
Last edited by: littlefoot: Apr 27, 21 6:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
MattyK wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
Video?

But he has a point.

Forgot to add, they are tilted.
I won't be able to load video now, but here is a pic and a previous post. I bought the bike around Christmas and hadn't been outside much due to weather.
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...__P7445346/#p7445346

It's kind of funny that on February 2 in that thread, I also asked for a video.
Quote Reply