Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:

Ditlev's not on 650c or short cranks. haha. Google him and you'll see how tiny his 58cm Felt and 61cm P5 look! Anyone know his height? I'm 191cm / 6'3" and my bike looks tiny compared to his.

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-gear/bike-gear/pro-bike-felt-ia-frd-magnus-ditlev He's 1m95 apparently ;)
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Sean H wrote:
I’m no Lionel hater. Quite the opposite actually. I was rooting for him over my fellow American Sam and will root for him over Jan or anyone else as well. I’ve been a fanboy since I got into triathlon in 2014.

But unfortunately this just shows that Lionel is the best of the rest, and the rest are getting better. At 70.3 worlds he will have to beat Jan, Ali and Javier, all who have no weaknesses. Even if Lionel didn’t give up 2 min in the swim to those guys he still might not beat them.

And there’s likely a few others in the field today that he’ll have a hard time beating just due to larger front pack and different dynamics. Rudy and Ditlev probably don’t get away with more bikes plugging holes and then most of that front pack on the swim don’t get caught by Lionel. He just doesn’t have enough road to make up the time lost in the swim in 70.3 (with 10-12m draft zone anyway).

I really want Lionel to win at 70.3 worlds, but more horsepower further up the bike course plugging holes in the train will hurt him, and so will a no wetsuit swim. Challenge Daytona may be more indicative of the work he has to do on the run at 70.3 WC's but he's done that waaaaay back in 2014 at 70.3 Worlds in Tremblant going from last place to 4th behind Gomez, Jan and Don. Bike courses between St. George and Tremblant I believe have similar amounts of climbing, but in St. George I think the climbs are longer which can break up packs a bit better.

70.3 Worlds should be awesome! Sounds like Jan was itching to have been in the mix.

Why would the no wetsuit swim hurt him?

He's almost got a little bit of the Kienle thing going if you actually look at his last 3 races. Miami and Texas were non wetsuit and actually good swims - 90 seconds to Kanute in Galveston but 1:50 in StG with a wetsuit.

I get why we assume that - but he's had good non wetsuit swims in Kona (relatively) too - maybe his lack of shoulder mobility hurts him in a wetsuit more than the bouyancy helps. Just a theory but I don't know that a non wetsuit swim hurts him as much as conventional wisdom would lead you to believe, at least according to the clock...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Are you disputing that someone can want something and be more determined than someone else?

Someone can/did want it the most but you will never know who that was. I’m disputing the assumption that in a field of __ athletes, the winner “wanted it” most. Saying that may be the worst cliche in sports. I’d be willing to bet some athlete in, I dunno, 36th place (a random place I picked) wanted it the most but just isn’t nearly as fast as the athletes ahead of him/her.

Jan Frodeno quotes a Tibor Benedeck (sp? Hungarian waterpolo player - one of the best ever) as his inspiration on the Greg Bennett podcast as what best describes himself. The quote is long but basically Tibor describes all his attributes as fairly average - he simply wanted it better (the quote's phrasing).

So I mean - at least to Jan Frodeno, wanting it more is important...even if cliche.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
I’m disputing the assumption that in a field of __ athletes, the winner “wanted it” most. Saying that may be the worst cliche in sports. I’d be willing to bet some athlete in, I dunno, 36th place (a random place I picked) wanted it the most but just isn’t nearly as fast as the athletes ahead of him/her.

Jan Frodeno quotes a Tibor Benedeck (sp? Hungarian waterpolo player - one of the best ever) as his inspiration on the Greg Bennett podcast as what best describes himself. The quote is long but basically Tibor describes all his attributes as fairly average - he simply wanted it better (the quote's phrasing).

So I mean - at least to Jan Frodeno, wanting it more is important...even if cliche.

"Wanting it more" makes for a good poster, but it is silly.

People would say that about Michael Jordan. Yeah, sure. He was 6-6, could bench pressed 400 lbs, dunk from the free throw line, and had impeccable fine motor skills. MJ was one of the most naturally gifted athletes ever. THAT was why he won.
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
dfru wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
I’m disputing the assumption that in a field of __ athletes, the winner “wanted it” most. Saying that may be the worst cliche in sports. I’d be willing to bet some athlete in, I dunno, 36th place (a random place I picked) wanted it the most but just isn’t nearly as fast as the athletes ahead of him/her.

People would say that about Michael Jordan. Yeah, sure. He was 6-6, could bench pressed 400 lbs, dunk from the free throw line, and had impeccable fine motor skills. MJ was one of the most naturally gifted athletes ever. THAT was why he won.

Exactly. It certainly helped that he wanted it. But it was his god-given talent that for him 99% of the way there. I could race Frodo and want it more. And we all know the outcome won’t change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
dfru wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Exactly. It certainly helped that he wanted it. But it was his god-given talent that for him 99% of the way there. I could race Frodo and want it more. And we all know the outcome won’t change.

That's fair, I get what you are saying. MJ was a great physical talent. Is he the greatest physical talent of all time? He gives a TON of credit to Tim Grover, his strength coach - and that would be in the "want it more" category. Steph Curry is the GREATEST shooter of all time. I look at him...he wants it more. Works harder per possession than almost anyone. He wants it more.

There are physical talents who never amount to anything. Hell, how many tall triathletes are there who succeed? The delta on the best ones is much smaller than Frodo, he's an outlier. His hard work has got him to be nearly perfection, but that's hardly been the case until his incredible work ethic brings him to the point where he's more talented.

Now...I get the you wanting it more than Frodo but not beating him argument - although there's zero way that you ACTUALLY believe that you can. Wanting it more AND putting in the work AND having physical talents to get into the stratosphere is part of the equation - but there's certainly something to wanting it as bad as Lionel, or Sam, or Jan, that others don't have but are in the same place-ish physically.

If Jan didn't want it so bad and just wanted to win - he could have gone 7:56 in Kona 2019 and won easy - he wanted the record on a much harder day and went and got it. To say he's just physically better is to ignore the first 2/3 of his career and disrespect the work he's done to figure out how to race an IM. Just in thinking about this one - wanting it more and being ready to go to those places during a race is a talent.

Anyways - as usual with ST, some will agree, some won't, and nobody will have their minds changed here haha.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
dfru wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

That's fair, I get what you are saying. MJ was a great physical talent. Is he the greatest physical talent of all time? He gives a TON of credit to Tim Grover, his strength coach - and that would be in the "want it more" category. Steph Curry is the GREATEST shooter of all time. I look at him...he wants it more. Works harder per possession than almost anyone. He wants it more.

There are physical talents who never amount to anything. Hell, how many tall triathletes are there who succeed? The delta on the best ones is much smaller than Frodo, he's an outlier. His hard work has got him to be nearly perfection, but that's hardly been the case until his incredible work ethic brings him to the point where he's more talented.

Now...I get the you wanting it more than Frodo but not beating him argument - although there's zero way that you ACTUALLY believe that you can. Wanting it more AND putting in the work AND having physical talents to get into the stratosphere is part of the equation - but there's certainly something to wanting it as bad as Lionel, or Sam, or Jan, that others don't have but are in the same place-ish physically.

If Jan didn't want it so bad and just wanted to win - he could have gone 7:56 in Kona 2019 and won easy - he wanted the record on a much harder day and went and got it. To say he's just physically better is to ignore the first 2/3 of his career and disrespect the work he's done to figure out how to race an IM. Just in thinking about this one - wanting it more and being ready to go to those places during a race is a talent.

Anyways - as usual with ST, some will agree, some won't, and nobody will have their minds changed here haha.

Yes, all fair. There are certainly multiple factors in play. I just can’t help but be over the cliche sports phrase “the victor wanted it more”.
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
dfru wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

The genetics helped, but that's not everything. The NBA is littered with busts.

The best way I can compare this is Ryan Leaf Vs. Peyton Manning.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
dfru wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

The genetics helped, but that's not everything. The NBA is littered with busts.

The best way I can compare this is Ryan Leaf Vs. Peyton Manning.

In regards to MJ, we forget he was super thin, got his ass kicked for 4 or 5 years before developing that naturally gifted body, worked on his game more than anyone on his team...He didn't win because he was the most naturally gifted. Reading that again - that's silly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone watched The Last Dance it even goes into when he started taking weight training seriously.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right? Watching that - I just don't know how you get the impression that he was just better than everyone. Hell...he wanted it more than anyone out there and wouldn't be stopped. He wanted it enough for himself AND Dennis haha

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a saying, can't remember how it goes, but basically of the 10 people at the start line 5 are just happy to be there, 3 expect to do well and 2 expect to win. I don't think Sam expected to win. He will now.
He's right it was like Ironwar 2.0, where Mark Allen gapped Dave Scott
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

Ditlev's not on 650c or short cranks. haha. Google him and you'll see how tiny his 58cm Felt and 61cm P5 look! Anyone know his height? I'm 191cm / 6'3" and my bike looks tiny compared to his.

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-gear/bike-gear/pro-bike-felt-ia-frd-magnus-ditlev He's 1m95 apparently ;)

Wow this guy doesn't mess around with equipment. Should get his own thread! He made his own cockpit, has the elastic Empire SLX setup, and even runs Veloflex Records at some races. You'd think he's an ST regular. lol

“On REALLY clean roads like the NASCAR tracks in Miami and Daytona I use Veloflex Record with a latex tube (they don’t come as tubeless). On not so smooth roads, I use Vittoria Corsa Speed and run them tubeless.”
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I thought as well haha, nice to see that some pros are gear/tech nerds too and actually work on having a good setup
Quote Reply
Re: StG 70.3 NA Champs Prediction Thread [Dolphin777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am far from being a competitive person, but I do believe it is essential - though not sufficient - for success. I think the exact percentages change depending on the sport, athlete, and era - not to mention opportunity (race, wealth, etc).

I would also suggest both 'wanting it' and genetics are a constant, meaning it's not just how you feel in race day, but how much you wanted it in training as well. Maybe Sam exceeded everyone in training and it wasn't enough on that day. Maybe the opposite.

This was one race with lots of variables. All athletes could have optimized both training and genetics and there would still be a single winner on this particular day. Doesn't mean anyone made a mistake. It was one race on one day. And it was amazing! Excited to see the next.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply

Prev Next