Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After this entire thread, I could not see if Jan actually had a stress fracture or not. If anyone can say definitively that would be great. My assumption is it was an annual checkup?
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
Rideon77 wrote:
PJC wrote:
stevej wrote:
I’m just impressed he was able to get an mri that fast. Unless it was pre-planned.

Really?

I hit my head on Saturday. Went to the doctors on Monday at 9.15am. Was getting the mri at 5pm

Cost me $12.

Actually it cost me $32. $20 for parking.

Not all countries have useless medical systems like the USA.

Injured my knee. Next day had an MRI, cost was free, parking was free, insurance paid the bill in the USA medical system.

So much for "useless".

Do you mind me asking what health insurance you have (and what kind of policy)? I have not heard of such coverage in decades. My husband and I work for big, well known corporations and we've seen our health insurance costs increase, deductibles increase to ridiculous amounts and reduced coverage over the years. It would cost me probably around $4K out of pocket to get an MRI and the wait times would be long. I'm in the USA too.

yes. I'm curious too.. MRI for my knee will cost me about $2k so I haven't had it done. Insurance does cover physical therapy with a $40 copay so I'm just doing that and hoping for the best.

Because I'm lazy and don't want to reply to this question several times......Medical insurance is from United.

Yes, people can have crappy coverage and you get what you pay for but there is no fee lunch no matter what people say. If you live in a single payer system you are still paying a ton of money in taxes to cover that cost. At the end of the day you pay.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to a German podcast, he twisted his ankle and got it checked. Apparently nothing too bad and he should be back to normal training soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:
kajet wrote:
doug in co wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

It would cost me probably around $4K out of pocket to get an MRI and the wait times would be long. I'm in the USA too.

yes. I'm curious too.. MRI for my knee will cost me about $2k so I haven't had it done. Insurance does cover physical therapy with a $40 copay so I'm just doing that and hoping for the best.

SWEET JESUS
I live in Warsaw, Poland. A state-of-the-art knee MRI in a private clinic, paid 100% out-of-pocket with no insurance and no public co-funding, will cost you the equivalent of $100. And Warsaw is expensive.

Something went wrong in America. The doctors and technicians and admin staff here may be making a bit less, but not 20 or 40 times less. They are qualified people capable of getting a job in the West (if they wanted to), especially those working in private clinics.

That is interesting. $100 does sound a little low, but running the numbers I can't fathom a MRI costing more than $1500. In most instances the cost of the machine itself over its lifespan would be less than the cost of the office space it uses as well as the salaries tied to it by a factor of 5 to 10. Rent can be expensive.

Yes, there is profit-seeking going on in the office space rental for healthcare..
Found out this week that UCHealth and CUMedicine which I thought would be the same thing, University of CO, are in fact two different entities. CUMedicine is the doctors, UCHealth is the facilities. We pay CUMedicine which then has to pay UCHealth. They tried to double charge a copay, then had the damn cheek to assert there is a copay for the doctor and another for the facility.
One of the hidden costs of the US health system, is the amount of time we have to waste on the phone arguing with insurers, outsourced doctors, profit-seeking hospital systems run by venture capitalists, etc etc etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The US market is subsidizing all the middlemen's pockets as well as the rest of the world in innovation. The for profit payers and hospitals take their cut and have no incentive for great long term outcomes. On the payer side, patients switch payers often depending on employment / what their employer offers -> No incentive for prevention and on the hospital side, returning patient, especially in out-patient and infusion centers are annuities.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [Anni23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anni23 wrote:
According to a German podcast, he twisted his ankle and got it checked. Apparently nothing too bad and he should be back to normal training soon.

Can’t imagine taking some of these corners on the course at sun-6 pace. Certainly not gentle on the joints.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to keep this derailment going, but a family member was in Poland for vacation, fell and ended up needing brain surgery. They couldn't risk transporting him by plane so he had it there (don't recall the city). His son is on the board of a large Houston hospital so they had the neurosurgeon there consult via phone, but a young surgeon in Poland performed the procedure. He was in the hospital for a total of 2 weeks then had to remain for a few more weeks for follow ups. They were prepared for the six figure medical bills out of pocket and fight their insurance when they got home to try to get reimbursed, however the total for everything was $4,500.

Based on that, $100 for an MRI seems steep! :)

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Anni23 wrote:

Can’t imagine taking some of these corners on the course at sun-6 pace. Certainly not gentle on the joints.

And wearing those 70‘s style platform shoes doesn’t help either.
Finally, you can’t train running corners on a Woodway. So ankle stability may be a factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [Anni23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anni23 wrote:

Must be the vegan diet. I wonder if it was his calcium?
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
windschatten wrote:
Anni23 wrote:

And wearing those 70‘s style platform shoes doesn’t help either.
Finally, you can’t train running corners on a Woodway. So ankle stability may be a factor.

In general terms you bring up a good point on running outdoors on roads with cambers and turns vs a treadmill. There are some micro differences. But are you implying he only runs on treadmill. Also what shoes are you referring to that are not helping ankle stability?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jan wore the Carbon X2, probably the most "stable" super shoe running platform out there. It's not a freaking wobbly alphafly.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that clarification. How stable is such a shoe relative to a conventional stack low drop shoe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unsure these days, I haven't run in anything but Hoka for at least three years. In my previous experience I think Nike's had the narrowest base. And Hokas are all wide.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
Anni23 wrote:

Nah, but probably contributed to his fractured hip though.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Jan wore the Carbon X2, probably the most "stable" super shoe running platform out there. It's not a freaking wobbly alphafly.

Hokas may not be wobbly, but aren't that "super" either. Can't have it all, I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Hokas may not be wobbly, but aren't that "super" either. Can't have it all, I guess.

interesting he switched from asics to hoka. he set all his 70.3 / 140.6 records in asics.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/News/After_a_stirring_battle_Jan_Frodeno_takes_70.3_Worlds_6997.html

I maybe lost in new 'tech' release shoe era, but it seems asics just recently came out with their version of carbon shoes this year.

but probably he could not wait that long for a shoe to protect him from injury?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My carbon X's, although the generation earlier, are a very similar shoe, and are probably as if not more stable than most shoes out there. Not ridiculous stack, and a very wide outsole all the way through the foot makes for a stable shoe. I use them for mild offroad as they can handle twigs and big rocks well as long as it's not too slippy.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this. I ran in Hokas many years ago (not carbonX) and my experience is that they are super stable, until you have a catastrophic roll at which point there is no easy recovery when you go over the edge since you are on a higher platform.

To visualize an extreme version just stand on ground barefoot and rotate your foot in the direction of an ankle roll/sprain and see how easy it is to roll the foot, but also pull it back before it goes over the edge. Now put on a pair of Hokas, Birkenstocks or Crocs and its is hard to roll the foot, but the moment you go a bit over the edge there is a point of no return where you cannot get back control "easy enough".

In XC skiing they have gone to lower stack binding systems (NNN vs Pilot) because they claim "better snow feel". It's bullshitt marketing, but what it means is that with the lower stack to the ski and snow the foot and ankle can control the ski better and maintain better coordination.

Low stack is always better for coordination, but bad for padding. In skiing you don't have the padding issue, so its "as low ass you can go". In running we have a tradeoff, between stack for padding vs control.

To Windschatten's point the lower stack shoes do force us to be less sloppy and actively control natural shock absorption via human "padding" vs outside mechanical padding. But there is a reason why all pros are not racing barefoot or vibrams (although they banned barefoot from Superleague because running on Woodway curves is faster barefoot and no transition than with shoes and transition).
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
Anni23 wrote:

That would be another twist in this story!
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Came here for Frodo news, left as an expert on getting an MRI in the USA.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to derail the MRI thread, but it looks like Frodo is okay. He went for a bicycle ride with some cyclist today

https://www.instagram.com/...igshid=1dzmwg6nie0k0
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to hear
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you see who he rode with?

Wurf and his last post on instagram is from 2 weeks ago with a video tiring running shoes and running
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Great MRI thread...............
Any update on Frodo??

Confirmed, rolled ankle: https://www.instagram.com/...igshid=1oho0oa9v63vy

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno stress fracture? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Great MRI thread...............
Any update on Frodo??

Confirmed, rolled ankle: https://www.instagram.com/...igshid=1oho0oa9v63vy

Sounds like he was visualizing himself in that field in St. George and perhaps projecting forward to the 70.3 World's this Sept, since it plays into just going from Spain, to Utah, staying in mainland USA for training and moving onto Kona. No massive 12 hrs time zone shift going from Spain to Hawaii.
Quote Reply

Prev Next