Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Most areo place to stow vest
Quote | Reply
No team car of course... I’m no pro

Ride starts out cool so you take vest. It warms up and you take it off , where do you stow it for least amount of drag ?

1) back of the jersey , stuffed in from the neck side
2) back of the jersey , stuffed in from the waist side
3) front of jersey , stuffed in from the neck side
4) front of jersey , stuffed in from waist side
5) rear jersey pocket
Quote Reply
Re: Most areo place to stow vest [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the side of the road...

I just put it in the jersey pocket. Honestly cant say ive really thought about it too much

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:

Ride starts out cool so you take vest. It warms up and you take it off , where do you stow it for least amount of drag ?

5) rear jersey pocket

I usually tie it around my neck,
restricting that turbulent air between head and torso, and actually reducing my CdA. But I would make sure it’s nicely tight, so it’s not flapping around.
It also doubles as a face mask for the chit-chat that inevitably starts after 1hr of riding, when everybody is getting tired.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 25, 21 20:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wherever you stow it, if you put it on while riding just don't let the trailing edge get caught up in your rear brake block @25mph. Only a numpty would do that (and have the scars to prove it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:

5) rear jersey pocket

Fabricate an appropriately shaped pouch to affix to the back of the saddle, into which you may stuff it.
Ideal shape will be entirely dependent on the exact flow regime in that region throughout the event in question. This will be highly dependent on the saddle type and position, the exact geometry and position of your own body, clothing, the frame, front cockpit type and configuration, all other components/accessories effecting the flow, impinging airstream velocity (including variation due to wind speed gradient), air pressure/temperature/humidity......

Alternatively, stick it in your jersey pocket.
Honestly, it's unlikely you'll ever be sure which of your options is quickest without impractically rigorous testing. And I would expect some of them to be uncomfortable/annoying in practice. If it was me, and it has been, I'd just stick it in my middle jersey pocket. I remember I did on one occasion stuff my extra layer inside a now empty bidon on my seat tube so it wouldn't inconvenience me climbing Alpe D'Huez, but that was because I was finished with the bottle for the day and I'd stopped to take off a base layer so it wasn't on the fly. Not worth stopping if you're doing it to save time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd probably invest in a windproof short sleeve baselayer. It's going to be more packable than a vest. It is another piece of kit for around $45, but if you need one then it will be useful.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:

5) rear jersey pocket

Since this is a question that comes up every day I suggest you spend thousands of dollars/pounds/euros to test this in a wind tunnel and share your data on ST.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:

5) rear jersey pocket

^ This. I usually just roll it up and put it into my jersey pocket. That is what the pockets are for right? That is unless they are already full of food and bottles. The good thing is that the weather it usually too warm for a vest when I am carrying extra bottles in my jersey pockets. I'm not a fan of stuffing it under my jersey just because I feel like I might forget about it and lose it down the road somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Most areo place to stow vest [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GingerAvenger wrote:
7401southwick wrote:

5) rear jersey pocket

^ This. I usually just roll it up and put it into my jersey pocket. That is what the pockets are for right? That is unless they are already full of food and bottles. The good thing is that the weather it usually too warm for a vest when I am carrying extra bottles in my jersey pockets. I'm not a fan of stuffing it under my jersey just because I feel like I might forget about it and lose it down the road somewhere.

I've stuffed my vest In a rear pocket. It is very much not aero and uncomfortable. Usually I'll wear less and be colder to start or suck it up and wear the vest through the end of the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Most areo place to stow vest [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
GingerAvenger wrote:
7401southwick wrote:

5) rear jersey pocket

I've stuffed my vest In a rear pocket. It is very much not aero and uncomfortable. Usually I'll wear less and be colder to start or suck it up and wear the vest through the end of the ride.

There is a huge difference between "folded and rolled" and "stuffed". One is nice and neat and the other is just a huge glob of fabric in your pocket.

Also, HUGE difference between thermal vest and wind vest. A thermal vest will always be bulky no matter what you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Most areo place to stow vest [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody is recommending stuffing it down the front of your bibs? It’s totally hidden from the wind. It gives you that “veteran buffet customer look”. Or you could stuff it down your shorts. Impressed the impressionable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of clarifying questions:

-Thin wind vest, or thicker thermal vest?

-Riding position? (road hoods position vs. curved back aero vs flat back aero)

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply