Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Supertuck: Carapaz DQ'd by UCI [ThomD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get used to it. He continues to do it even though it spoils results for many. What a nice member forever who has contributed so much yet has this one rude behaviour.
Quote Reply
Re: Supertuck: Carapaz DQ'd by UCI [ThomD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThomD wrote:
matate99 wrote:
For anybody not watching LBL live this post title really took a fair amount of enjoyment out of his breakaway. Yeah I knew he was never going to hold off the bunch but it sucked nonetheless.

Maybe next time try “LBL Spoiler - Discuss Carapaz” or something like that.

I agree. Same day posting (before the race was even broadcast in the US) of key results in the headline are not cool.
Did someone actually broadcast the race in the US? I watched it live on NBC Sports Gold pass here in the US but didn’t know there was another option.

Also, the initial thread was started by the OP multiple hours after the race had ended.
Quote Reply
Re: Supertuck: Carapaz DQ'd by UCI [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
ThomD wrote:
matate99 wrote:
For anybody not watching LBL live this post title really took a fair amount of enjoyment out of his breakaway. Yeah I knew he was never going to hold off the bunch but it sucked nonetheless.

Maybe next time try “LBL Spoiler - Discuss Carapaz” or something like that.

I agree. Same day posting (before the race was even broadcast in the US) of key results in the headline are not cool.

Did someone actually broadcast the race in the US? I watched it live on NBC Sports Gold pass here in the US but didn’t know there was another option.

Also, the initial thread was started by the OP multiple hours after the race had ended.
Plenty people don't get a chance to watch the race until multiple hours after the race has ended, or even the next day.
It's easy to forget these things or miss the fact that a topic not specifically about results can be a spoiler, but it can undermine one's enjoyment.
I'm sure the OP didn't disregard the fact his thread title was a spoiler. Innocent mistake I presume.

By far the worst I've come across is the Eurosport Player App. They have often used thumbnails for replays of events that show the podium, or picture of the winner. That's just unbelievably stupid, and by a sports broadcaster!
In their case it's unforgivable IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Supertuck: Carapaz DQ'd by UCI [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about US race results for those of us that live in Europe?
Quote Reply
Re: Supertuck: Carapaz DQ'd by UCI [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Europe too. What I was implying that these kind of threads where there are spoilers in the title are poor form all around.
Quote Reply
Re: Supertuck: Carapaz DQ'd by UCI [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to respond to disagree about the Freds copying pros as a good reason to disagree. As most American cyclists do not live within distance of any mountain pass riding or racing. Then forget, we're a tiny fish in the cycling pond that is the rest of the world that may well do that. Haha. Typical self centric thought, but changed my mind. Who knows, I live in too small a part of the cycling world to say.

This spoilers thing is a soap box of mine when it comes to the more innocent occurrences:

IMO it's a bit of a misjudgment on a person's part to get disappointed if they come to an endurance sport enthusiasts' website expecting perfect adherence to "no spoilers" about talk about endurance sport.

It would be like getting pissed at people down at the bar in the days before the DVR talking about the game earlier in the day. Or even deciding to go to the bar in modern times and being angry they have SC up on replay "ruining it" instead of "General Hospital" to protect your sensibilities about finding out.

I place the onus on the person who is so uptight about the spoilers and cares that much to instead abstain from sport related chat forums and news sources for the time period they so dearly care about.

Especially if the topic doesn't give a date/time/event stamp of any kind. If you're worried it's an event that just happened, don't freaking read the topic.

A spoiler was the whole "Snape kills Dumbledore" stuff that was live in person. The folks who went to HP chat forums and saw spoilers from malicious bots I don't have a lot of pity for. If you CARE, don't go to the freaking fan forums until you've read it.

IMO it's placing the burden on everyone else instead of yourself, if you care that much. Which is more reasonable? The few people who didn't see and care THAT much abstaining from going on Slowtwitch or Bikeforums for a day until they see it? OR the entire universe of bike related sites abstaining from the most innocent level of spoilers?

Do we have no self control? You're so addicted to sports news or sports chat forums you can't give it up for a single day so you can watch the rerun?

YOU skip weeknight worlds if you don't want riders chatting about the "race" spoilers. Not the entire weeknight worlds talking about knitting instead.

I find the issue ridiculous.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and it usually stinks.
Quote Reply
Re: Supertuck: Carapaz DQ'd by UCI [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I am in Canada. This was broadcast (at least on flobikes). it was already all over social media with headlines pushed out on cyclingnews 5 hrs after the event was over. Canadiancyclist had an article about the race out at

Firstly the title of the thread did not refer to any particular race. I was careful to not give any of the top finisher results away in case people wanted to watch the next day or a few days later, and even if a person saw this thread title, and they saw Carapaz on a breakaway and new he was getting DQ's you did not know if he gets to the finish line first and gets DQ'd or gets gobbled up. As it turns out he got quickly gobbled up and whether he got DQ'd or not the only thing he did was change the dynamic of the race. His DQ had no impact on anyone other than him and Ineos losing some UCI points.

Nothing in the top race results were given away, someone who watched much later would have seen the short period where Carapaz was leading and then became inconsequential, and in the mean time while some folks played back a replay a long time later after this was all over the press and social media we had a discussion about what is in the free press on social media on a thread in ST.

Can we have a balance where we do have thread titles that are relevant to a topic worthy of discussion about a recent event, while at the same time don't give away final race results for those who want to come to an endurance sports forum AND want to avoid knowing about what happened in the sports world?
Quote Reply
Re: Supertuck: Carapaz DQ'd by UCI [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said!
Quote Reply
Re: Supertuck: Carapaz DQ'd by UCI [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen plenty mountains in the US, although I've never done any cycling there. It's a pretty diverse landmass as far as I can see, but I've only ever been to a few areas around LA in the west and NY, NJ, MA, VT, NH, and ME in the east. I think most cyclists who have the opportunity, head for the hills when they can, and that has usually been me most weekends pre-pandemic. It's not a niche within cycling reserved for the pros.
As you say, there's lots of variety and one person's experience doesn't necessarily reflect another's. I've done my fair share of fast descents. I've had one or two speed wobbles at 80km/h or more. I've braced as I sped over an unexpected patch of debris or pothole. I've reached the bottom of a few fast descents and thought "I shouldn't have gone that fast. It was fun but a little too risky". I'm quite certain I'm not unique, and while I'm not inclined to to try a supertuck in these situations, there are plenty who would, but might not if the pros stop.
Quote Reply
Re: Supertuck: Carapaz DQ'd by UCI [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To add to what you are saying, I am a "good supertucker" because it is allowed and since it is allowed, I have worked to get this marginal gain for my triathlon racing repertoire. As a smaller rider, this is a huge advantage on a hilly course because I have my lighweight advantage going uphill and I remove most of the disadvantage downhill. I have found the supertuck at zero watts at 50kph on a long downhhill grade being faster and more useful than pedaling at 50kph. Zero watts, rest, digest food, rinse repeat.

But if It was not permitted, I would not do it in racing and I would not work on improving it in training (those who have ridden with me, know that I am good in this position because I work on it). But working on it more, also means taking more risk all the time. Its not just about racing since I can't use it well and safely in racing with deep wheels and crosswinds if I don't practice that solo on an open road.

So I can see how the ban has useful trickle down effect. I can personally probably handle this position as good as any pro since I have been using it for 30 years (and no professional athlete has since they are too young to...maybe Crowie and Cam Brown). But the only reason I got to pro level, was to go faster in racing. If it was banned the last bunch of decades, I would have never started.

I know at Kona 2017 Lionel lost contact with Sebi and Cam Wurf coming down form Hawi and Sebi Supertucked, Cam followed, and Lionel lost contact and spent 40km chasing. If the supertuck was banned, maybe Lionel hangs on, uses less energy and beats Lange on the marathon. But that is racing and those are the rules.

For now, supertucking is OK in triathlon until somone bans it. So it is free speed with no additional watts for the taking. I don't have a beef it they ban it but until it is banned in tri, Sebi (or I) have an advantage on peers who can't manage the position and minimize their personal risk or unwilling to take that risk.
Quote Reply
Re: Supertuck: Carapaz DQ'd by UCI [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Sorry, I am in Canada. This was broadcast (at least on flobikes). it was already all over social media with headlines pushed out on cyclingnews 5 hrs after the event was over. Canadiancyclist had an article about the race out at

Firstly the title of the thread did not refer to any particular race. I was careful to not give any of the top finisher results away in case people wanted to watch the next day or a few days later, and even if a person saw this thread title, and they saw Carapaz on a breakaway and new he was getting DQ's you did not know if he gets to the finish line first and gets DQ'd or gets gobbled up. As it turns out he got quickly gobbled up and whether he got DQ'd or not the only thing he did was change the dynamic of the race. His DQ had no impact on anyone other than him and Ineos losing some UCI.

I'm not sure you're giving us much credit here. There was really only one race to which this could refer. I saw this posted the day after LBL. The rule has only been in effect since April 1.

Which other race should we reasonably infer this might have occurred?

New when we watch LBL, and see Carapaz off the front doing a super tuck, what would a logical person assume? Am I to assume that it's the same race?

Spoilers aren't just about knowing the final result they also impact enjoyment of the race itself - because knowing what happens colours our perception of the race as it unfolds.

I'll note that there were likely 2 other threads types this could have been posted in:
- The general cycling thread
- Whatever thread contained the original discussion about the super truck announcement.

I get that this is an endurance sports forum and so there is likely some leeway for information to seep out vs a desire to discuss what happens as it happens (or soon after). I think what we're getting at is if it please could be kept to a minimum / threads created with some awareness that others might not be as far ahead in terms of watching.
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 28, 21 11:23
Quote Reply

Prev Next