Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone try the Zen 8 trainer
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used this? It seems like a set of swim cords and an inflatable thing to put you in a horizontal position. I am interested to hear if its just that or more that than what I think it is.

Thanks!!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try the Zen 8 trainer [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Has anyone used this? It seems like a set of swim cords and an inflatable thing to put you in a horizontal position. I am interested to hear if its just that or more that than what I think it is.

Thanks!!

hi folks -

i'm bumping this thread to see if anyone is using one. i'm sort of interested in adding this to my strength routine - figure some 'dry swimming' regularly would help me out.

anyone used it, and have any thoughts?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try the Zen 8 trainer [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems more than a rip off for what is just a blow up cushion and swim bands..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used gym bench off fb marketplace and stretch cords: 70-80$ and you're good to go
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got one. 53yo, triathlete ‘swimmer’ (33/34 min HIM). Used it a fair bit when pools were closed during Covid lockdown. Seemed to help retain some swimming capability (such as it is!) when I returned to pool (but guessing no more than a set of swim bands without the inflatable bench would have).

I certainly prefer using bands in a prone position - more comfortable for back than standing and bending at the waist. As another poster noted, could easily use a bench (or rig something else) to achieve something similar. Zen8 say the relative lack of stability being on the inflatable helps to practice engaging core muscles used during swimming. Does lying on an inflatable bench replicate being suspended in water, in terms of the muscles required and the co-ordination required? I’m pretty sceptical about that. There’s a major difference in that you don’t/can’t rotate on the Zen8 (or a bench) in the way you would when swimming. That said, you can choose (as you could on a bench) to concentrate on lifting your legs while using the bands (like doing a ‘superman’ exercise) - that definitely gets some core action in a way that MIGHT be helpful for actual swimming (I am not a swim coach or expert in anyway so take this comment in that context please). This has reminded me that I did a couple of HIM races post lockdown and my times were a little faster than this year, so maybe there is something in the core strength (or other benefit?) aspect.

Would I use it instead of actually swimming? No (I’ve only used it a handful of times since pools reopened). Lucky for me I can get to a pool pretty much as often as I like. Would I use it to supplement swimming if I couldn’t get to the pool so easily? Yes. 2.5hrs round trip to the pool vs. quick change and into my home gym and 30-45min bands session done and showered within an hour. And now thinking I’ll maybe add a weekly band session into my programme this winter.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I used it for a few months and got rid of it. It never worked for me. I could never get the right angle for the cords despite my best efforts and consulting with Zen8. I think part of the challenge may be my arms which even for my height are quite long. I am around 6'4" and try as I did it was a fail for me. I am back to swim cords in short.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply