Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Curly long hair maintenance
Quote | Reply
Hi Gals

First time poster here, I need your wise counsel.

I'm a male and I let my hair grow for the first time in over 10 years. I did not care much before about it, I was a swimmer and never did a special care routine for it or anything like that.

This is the longest I've had it, it's curly and since now I also run and bike, it is a mess. It ties into knots at the lower part (It covers my neck and it is starting to touch my upper back and shoulders). It is long enough to tie a little pony tail on the back but the front hair escapes the band I tie it with.

Any advice to keep it from curling into itself or what is a good routine to keep it at least presentable all while doing triathlons?
Quote Reply
Re: Curly long hair maintenance [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My hair isn't curly, but I have had the knots at the base issue - once they've happened, the best way for me to get them out is conditioner + patience. To avoid them, I've found braiding my hair to work, although I have been caught out if my braid is too loose and floppy.

If your hair isn't quite long enough to tie back successfully, try using multiple smaller ponytails that feed into each other. So, start with what would be a half pony (around ear level) and tie that back, then lower down tie it back again grabbing the bottom sections of hair. (I have no idea what this is called so i couldn't find a picture, sorry.)
Quote Reply
Re: Curly long hair maintenance [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh! nice tips there, thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not the best look, but low pigtails work for me on the bike. I usually put them into buns so that they're less noticeable. I think that's also why some people wear cycling caps under their helmets, to tamp the hair down and keep it from knotting up.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Curly long hair maintenance [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I will do that as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other tip to help get the knots out is to use a wet brush - this year for some reason I have gotten more knots at the base of my neck during long swims and that has helped me not lose huge chunks of hair from the pulling of a regular brush.
Last edited by: aminthepm: May 12, 21 8:19
Quote Reply
Re: Curly long hair maintenance [aminthepm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I actually use a somewhat similar brush (stolen from my wife) but the problem is when I wake up in the mornings, or whenever my hair starts to dry, it goes back to a curl and I don't know how to make it look as it was when wet.

Maybe if I spray it with water and use the brush again? like in the morning?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to the wet brush, I recommend a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. This has helped me and my daughter who is a swimmer. I now pay way more than I ever thought for shampoo and conditioner (brand - Milbon) but it has worked quite well.
Quote Reply
Re: Curly long hair maintenance [littlenorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I will do that! As a man, I have never spent almost anything in that... one soap bar and whatever was there as shampoo.... LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My hair sounds a bit longer than yours. I do the Curly Girl Method. Yes, it's a thing - you can find way too much info on Google. I use shampoos, conditioners and products that are designed to help bring out your natural curl. I brush mine in the shower using the wet brush while it still has conditioner on it. They say you should never brush it otherwise (it breaks the hair).

Take a look, don't get too overwhelmed - I don't spend a ton of money on product but you might have to experiment a bit to see what works for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Curly long hair maintenance [gwenevere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips!
Quote Reply