Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St. George Bike Course - is there really a road there?
Quote | Reply

There's a strong chance that Imma embarrass myself here but I can't seem to figure this out...

Half IM St George.... the bike course map, elev, turn-by-turn is here: https://www.ironman.com/im703-st-george-course

And an image of that route is there as well. The turn speaks to the road with the 3 red arrows. And it's addressed in the turn-by-turn as "Rt on SR7"

Here's where I need some local or experienced help. I don't think that road exists. I can't find a road there on Google Maps, on Ride with GPS, anywhere.

So here's my question.... What is the actual, real bike course?

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Bike Course - is there really a road there? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't comment on this specifically, but if you drop the little man in Google Maps and look around, do you see a road?
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Bike Course - is there really a road there? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was in the email from the race director. The section of the course you are looking for is currently being built.

One last thing:
Pre-riding the NEW bike course section of the currently under construction State Route 7 from Sand Hollow Road toward Hurricane is not allowed andyou will be subject to disqualification if seen on the course during race week or at ANY time prior to the event. All Road Closed signs must be adhered to for the safety of athletes and construction workers.
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Bike Course - is there really a road there? [JAF 906] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh dear. I raced an event like this. DoT is grooving and repaving the bike course but no worries it will be completed prior to race day.

Was not completed.

We raced on grooved pavement. Was putting out wicked watts and only going 20 mph. Some guys cheated by crossing centerline and using the opposite side. Only one direction was grooved. That's an insta disqualification but not one of them got caught. :|
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually as pointed out it is currently under construction, have a pro in town there prepp'ing and went to ride route this week and discovered as such.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Bike Course - is there really a road there? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Oh dear. I raced an event like this. DoT is grooving and repaving the bike course but no worries it will be completed prior to race day.

Was not completed.

We raced on grooved pavement. Was putting out wicked watts and only going 20 mph. Some guys cheated by crossing centerline and using the opposite side. Only one direction was grooved. That's an insta disqualification but not one of them got caught. :|

or just as bad, IM Canada had just finished laying blacktop on a section of 99 during race week. it was on the climb back into town from Pemberton and had all the fresh oily smell. riding uphill on a hot day with those fumes was horrible.

not racing STG this year but good luck on this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road is done, some have actually ridden it (smooth as butter) and got in trouble by contractors. The project states to be done in April 2021. They are just buttoning up signs, landscape, and minor things. Will be awesome on race day as no cars will be on it if I had to guess.
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Bike Course - is there really a road there? [xarope8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope they did get in trouble. It is very clear the road is closed! Why do people think rules don't apply to them. I am not blaming or pointing fingers at you, just frustrated that people think they are exempt from rules.
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Bike Course - is there really a road there? [xarope8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay so I built out a map on RideWithGPS and just ran a straight line across there - probably pretty close to what's waiting.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35801125

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice.

There's a weird little reversal of direction on the descent after Snow Canyon there though... maybe need to delete a waypoint or two.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Bike Course - is there really a road there? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ed,
Great catch! It jumped on the bike path for a sec. Solved! 56.4mi.

Thanks, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drove past St George to go to Zion and that area is awesome. What a great place to have a race
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Bike Course - is there really a road there? [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those that rode on it were done before the communication from IM came out.
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Bike Course - is there really a road there? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I drove past St George to go to Zion and that area is awesome. What a great place to have a race

Yes - just did that a few weeks ago. Gorgeous out there! Lit a fire under me to try to get into 70.3 worlds.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Bike Course - is there really a road there? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

My buddies and I just came back absolutely stunning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for sharing that! Do you happen to have one of the run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh. The road closed signs must have been taken down. Makes sense my error
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Bike Course - is there really a road there? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zion Ultras? I did the 100 but mentally quit after 44 :-(

Maybe also too much nutrition - unlike other times where I was a bit low
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, just camping with my boys. I lack whatever “it” is that draws folks to ultras! Good for you, even if it wasn’t the race you hoped for. I hope you were able to enjoy the beauty to some degree.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Bike Course - is there really a road there? [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks so much for sharing that! Do you happen to have one of the run?

trimike77,

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35811439

Again, not exact because I don't know exactly when it's on bike path and when it's on road - especially in that Red Hills Pkwy section. And the location of the second u-turn on the bike path, that's a mystery to me as well. But this is pretty close.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Bike Course - is there really a road there? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aaron, no need to be drawn to Ultra. We all have different goals and priorities
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Bike Course - is there really a road there? [steve25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steve25 wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Was not completed.

or just as bad, IM Canada had just finished laying blacktop on a section of 99 during race week. it was on the climb back into town from Pemberton and had all the fresh oily smell. riding uphill on a hot day with those fumes was horrible.

not racing STG this year but good luck on this one.
Ha. I remember I was there. Did not stop at the aid station at the bottom of those three consecutive climbs back to Whistler village thinking the one bottle I had left was enough. Ran out of water on that brand new blacktop. It was a ...... fun run that day. I met a new friend in the village day before the race and promised to check in before going home. Naw spent all the remaining time in the hotel bed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Aaron, no need to be drawn to Ultra. We all have different goals and priorities

Absolutely - it is all cool. Whatever excites and motivates you!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply