Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any updates from my New Yorkers? No permits in state parks? IM Musselman 70.3
Quote | Reply
Good morning everyone,

Thought I would check in and see if anyone from the state of New York could provide an update on IM Musselman 70.3.
Last time I checked in I believe the state parks were closed or at least we not issuing permits and the bike course (maybe the swim start as well) goes through multiple state parks.
I've e-mailed Ironman multiple times with the generic response of "no deferrals or decisions have been made yet, please check back in 60 days prior to the race date".
Coming from Canada, the border is the biggest issue right now. Just curious if the race still plans to go off as of right now.
Thanks team

Quinner
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates from my New Yorkers? No permits in state parks? IM Musselman 70.3 [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to guess what NY is going to do three weeks from now, let alone three months from now, is an exercise in futility.

Quote | Reply
USAT multisport nationals is in a similar boat, except the entire race is held within a state park. Thought a late september date would make it likely to happen. Now I'm not so confident. the aquabike was going to be a big goal of mine.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates from my New Yorkers? No permits in state parks? IM Musselman 70.3 [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's going to be a wait and see. I'm registered too for this race. If you haven't already, you can join the Musselman group on facebook. Mostly speculation there too but I thought one or two people had access to more information. General feeling in that group is that it will go off. But that is just opinion on my part.

Hoping the Canadian/USA border opens soon for those racing in Canada and those racing in the US from opposite sides of the borders. I did hear on NPR in the background that the border might only be open for necessary travel as of July or starting in July. But that could be just talk as well. Hopefully you won't have to quarantine coming from Canada.

I guess I have nothing much of value to add. Hoping it goes off like everyone else :-/

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how to interpret this information, but many of the long-standing local events to the Musselman have either been cancelled or not yet received approval. One local guy seems to have found a way to host events but the rest are struggling. I'm guessing it has to do with venue selection and the events not being hosted on state/ park lands.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates from my New Yorkers? No permits in state parks? IM Musselman 70.3 [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Not sure how to interpret this information, but many of the long-standing local events to the Musselman have either been cancelled or not yet received approval. One local guy seems to have found a way to host events but the rest are struggling. I'm guessing it has to do with venue selection and the events not being hosted on state/ park lands.

oh no :-(

what local events have been cancelled that happen before Musselman? Just curious as I've been to the region a few times in the past for other reasons.

Quote Reply
Re: Any updates from my New Yorkers? No permits in state parks? IM Musselman 70.3 [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

2 I sighed up for in NY were canceled a while ago. Another just opened. Does seem to be a state vs local park issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates from my New Yorkers? No permits in state parks? IM Musselman 70.3 [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what local events have been cancelled that happen before Musselman?
---

The Rochester/ Buffalo/ Syracuse NY area is a hidden gem for multisport. In a normal year, there are enough events of every distance within a reasonable driving range to keep you busy all season. The biggest issue is that the damn season is so short.

https://score-this.com/triathlon.php

The Score-This people put on races and/ or provide the timing for the races for most of the multi-sport events that happen in the area. They are a phenomenal group of people with excellent events! Look at the ones labeled "Multisport Series". The Fly by Night duathlon is an amazing race and has been cancelled. The next race is the Silver Serpent, that is hosted by another group but timed by Score-This is on. The Keuka Lake Tri is one that I do every year. It's a smaller race but it's status is in hiatus due to the covid and permissions, as is every race downstream.

This guy:
https://coachmarkwilson.com/races-and-events/
seems to be hosting events. Some are more local to the Musselman area than others.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
what local events have been cancelled that happen before Musselman?
---

The Rochester/ Buffalo/ Syracuse NY area is a hidden gem for multisport. In a normal year, there are enough events of every distance within a reasonable driving range to keep you busy all season. The biggest issue is that the damn season is so short.

https://score-this.com/triathlon.php

The Score-This people put on races and/ or provide the timing for the races for most of the multi-sport events that happen in the area. They are a phenomenal group of people with excellent events! Look at the ones labeled "Multisport Series". The Fly by Night duathlon is an amazing race and has been cancelled. The next race is the Silver Serpent, that is hosted by another group but timed by Score-This is on. The Keuka Lake Tri is one that I do every year. It's a smaller race but it's status is in hiatus due to the covid and permissions, as is every race downstream.

This guy:
https://coachmarkwilson.com/races-and-events/
seems to be hosting events. Some are more local to the Musselman area than others.

Wow, what a bummer. That is disappointing all these events canceled! Ugh!

I am really looking forward to Musselman and will be so sad if it's canceled/postponed again. I hope the RD finds some way to get the permits and make it happen. I'm all for safety and also live in a blue state. I call myself a hermit and have stayed hidden all year except going to the pool and picking up curbside groceries. Even I believe it should be safe to race especially since we all should be vaccinated by then. Because of my rural, remote, hermit-like existence (which I do like), I get energized by going to a couple big races per year. I get my fix and then go back to my quiet life.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TOUGHMAN is set to go in late September (25th?). Better course, better set up, better competition, better experience as compared to any IM branded event in the state/ area.
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates from my New Yorkers? No permits in state parks? IM Musselman 70.3 [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:

what local events have been cancelled that happen before Musselman? Just curious as I've been to the region a few times in the past for other reasons.

Fly-by-Night
Cooperstown
Delta Lake
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates from my New Yorkers? No permits in state parks? IM Musselman 70.3 [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:
TOUGHMAN is set to go in late September (25th?). Better course, better set up, better competition, better experience as compared to any IM branded event in the state/ area.

But are they really set to go? Do they have a permit from the state since they will be racing in a state park?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:
Good morning everyone,

Thought I would check in and see if anyone from the state of New York could provide an update on IM Musselman 70.3.
Last time I checked in I believe the state parks were closed or at least we not issuing permits and the bike course (maybe the swim start as well) goes through multiple state parks.
I've e-mailed Ironman multiple times with the generic response of "no deferrals or decisions have been made yet, please check back in 60 days prior to the race date".
Coming from Canada, the border is the biggest issue right now. Just curious if the race still plans to go off as of right now.
Thanks team

Quinner

Hello again everyone,
Just wanted to provide an update on my Musselman registration in case anyone else is in the same boat as me.
I e-mailed Ironman through the website and the Musselman support page. I explained my travel situation and that the border restrictions have not been lifted and most likely won't be lifted in time for the race.
I sent this e-mail on Thursday of last week and I received a reply today. So 2 working days.
The e-mail stated that my situation falls "within the guidelines of their internal COVID19 protocols, and that they can accommodate a request to defer to 2022 Musselman 70.3."
I was extremely happy with this response and to be honest very surprised. I've heard mostly horror stories trying to deal with support from Ironman.
It was very easy to defer as well. I clicked on a link and it took me to the Active.com website. I logged in and entered all the information. They gave me 3 options to chose from for the reason of deferral under the COVID19 protocol.
1. Sick/Inability to train
2. Travel restrictions
3. Not comfortable

Surprised again that those are the options for a deferral, but good on Ironman.

So, if anyone else out there is pondering what their options are, hopefully this helps you out!

Cheers

Quinner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I'd bring this thread back as best I can tell Musselman is still uncertain. The RD posted a video four weeks ago on Facebook basically saying they were working on bringing it together, but the schedule he provided the link for is still not up. I've not heard anything specific about NY state parks allowing permits. Am I missing something or are we still in limbo on this?
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates from my New Yorkers? No permits in state parks? IM Musselman 70.3 [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
I thought I'd bring this thread back as best I can tell Musselman is still uncertain. The RD posted a video four weeks ago on Facebook basically saying they were working on bringing it together, but the schedule he provided the link for is still not up. I've not heard anything specific about NY state parks allowing permits. Am I missing something or are we still in limbo on this?

SOS says they have their permits and are going forward. That's in Sept though, and obviously different sized event than Musselman.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates from my New Yorkers? No permits in state parks? IM Musselman 70.3 [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
SOS says they have their permits and are going forward. That's in Sept though, and obviously different sized event than Musselman.

I did not read it as they had the permits rather they are expecting to get them so they were preparing for the event this year with re-registering athletes.
"We've been in regular contact with our permitting authorities, and we're happy to share that in light of important updates to the CDC and New York State reopening guidelines within the past week, the situation for in-person races and events has significantly improved. We continue to monitor state guidelines as we move forward with planning for the 35th annual SOS Triathlon!"

I fully expect SOS to get their permits. It looks like Musselman did update the main event page indicating they will have 200 spots for St. George - so still planning.

ETA: They have the course maps up now as well. 2000+ registered is going to be a mess on the Main Street sidewalk with foot traffic going both ways. Bike course improved to the original course but reversed. Swim moved closer to the Ramada, interesting swim if it is a windy day.
Last edited by: RobAllen: Jun 11, 21 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates from my New Yorkers? No permits in state parks? IM Musselman 70.3 [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote RobAllen Swim moved closer to the Ramada, interesting swim if it is a windy day.[/quote]
Yeah, the swim change surprises me. If the conditions are anything like 2014 then it'll be dangerous.
Quote Reply
Re: Any updates from my New Yorkers? No permits in state parks? IM Musselman 70.3 [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to last post.....

Just a shout out of thanks to everyone who made IM Mussleman 70.3 happen. What a great race overall! Really enjoyed this race experience. Many thanks to the volunteers and everyone who made the day happen.

Good points

• Very well organized and RD did a stellar job. First time doing this race so can't compare to previous years w/o Ironman
  • Lake Seneca is a big beautiful lake and the swim course was great (wavy choppy going out but very fast coming back in)
  • Bike course was a fast one! Not pancake flat (I think garmin clocked 1585 ft of elevation gain). Roads were in good condition and not congested with racers. There is a stretch with pot holes, mostly patched but it's well marked and not that long. Scenery is beautiful along two different lakes.
  • Run course was shortened to two laps but it was still a really good run course. Partly along the water front and partly in town with a nice gradual hill. It was hard but fair.
  • Geneva is in beautiful Finger Lakes wine country. Wineries everywhere!

Areas for improvement

• This might be Ironman in general but what happened to AWA low numbers and good bike placing? I was #403 and that was OK but I think it was based on when I registered for a check in time (not really sure)
  • Have some veggie food at the finish w/o animals or animal products. There is growing number of plant-based athletes. I'm used to bad food at the end of races being animal-free for a very long time. But it's not difficult to serve maybe fruit, bananas, bagels with peanut butter, nothing elaborate, but something! I found a couple bags of lays potato chips. That's all.
  • Parking! That was the big issue. It was a mile walk to the venue from parking. I realize there were issues with mud in closer parking lots. And we are triathletes, but that walk was a major pain in the butt.
  • Awards ceremony. There was one but no podium type ceremony where you got to stand with the other athletes. The announcer just called our names and we picked up our awards at a tent. Maybe that was due to covid? But everything else that weekend was like business as usual. I stood shoulder to shoulder with athletes waiting to swim. And I had to pass slower athletes on the second loop sometimes shoulder to shoulder. So why we couldn't stand together on the "podium" was disappointing. (I realize this is a first world problem). I was third place in my AG and had a miserable spring filled with awful setbacks so this race result for me personally was quite special.

Overall I loved Musselman and the whole experience (except for a few things that needed improvement but didn't spoil the weekend). Sign up for next year! It's a good one!

Quote Reply
Re: Any updates from my New Yorkers? No permits in state parks? IM Musselman 70.3 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Confirming that TOUGHMAN receive all of their permits from NYS. Also it has some USAT designation now....
Quote Reply