Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Honu 70.3 / Any inside knowledge rumors etc.? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm 40-44 now (actually 44 so I have been that for a while), so only top 5 :)

While I have some real training scheduled through Sunday, I think for the most part, the hay is in the barn. Feeling pretty good.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: May 26, 21 8:49
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 / Any inside knowledge rumors etc.? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Well, I'm 40-44 now (actually 44 so I have been that for a while), so only top 5 :)

While I have some real training scheduled through Sunday, I think for the most part, the hay is in the barn. Feeling pretty good.

Who do I bribe to remove all food from your house and only stock your fridge with Cabbage and water. Legend has it that this was Macca's plan before he won Kona 2010 (well that, and roping Marino, Raynard Tissink and Faris to be his bike train super domestiques to gap Crowie)

Edit: Oh and you still have to target the age group win to build in enough buffer for a flat. None of this aiming for 5th stuff. Slowman could revoke your ST mancard for that.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 26, 21 9:16
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 / Any inside knowledge rumors etc.? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha... Well... I'm all for being optimistic. But there's at least a few guys signed up who would have to have pretty bad days for me to beat them, including a former french pro who won it overall last time I was there in 2015. Maybe it's too much trouble for him to come. Who knows. But there are some other really fast dudes too.

And the cabbage and water diet I think would ensure that I finish lower than 35th....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: May 26, 21 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Haha... Well... I'm all for being optimistic. But there's at least a few guys signed up who would have to have pretty bad days for me to beat them, including a former french pro who won it overall last time I was there in 2015. Maybe it's too much trouble for him to come. Who knows. But there are some other really fast dudes too.

And the cabbage and water diet I think would ensure that I finish lower than 35th....

Everyone has to get to the finish line....whether they are a former french pro or a former rower it does not matter. it is 70.3 miles for all. For sure some have better top line horsepower specs, but you never know which F1 pilot with a better machine burns out his own engine. So head down, and move your chassis through the course as efficiently as possible. The other guys will get whatever time they earn. Then let's see....plus some of those guys may not want to make another trip back to Kona so soon (unlikely but you never know).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grabbed a slot 🙂

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Grabbed a slot 🙂

Super. We knew you could do it!!!

Do you know what time got one in 55-59?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think 5:14. I did not check that AG on the sheet but if my predictor was right at 4 slots, that's it. If it was 3 slots it would be 5:11.

The bike course was very slow today. Very windy. Strong quartering headwind all the way up to Hawi and scary gusts on the descent. I got out of aero a bunch on the way down. Lots of guys doing the one hand on the base bar thing.

Brutally hot, as usual, on the run.

Manny Huerta raced in M35-39 today! He won his ag, but got trounced by 2 EMJ guys in 25-29!!!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And Rudy Von Berg raced the Colorado Tri Olympic distance today. Won by 9 minutes.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M55-59 had 5 slots, 5:18 snagged the final one. Times were way slower than normal on all legs, guys that are ~25-26 mins swimmers went ~32 mins.
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 / Any inside knowledge rumors etc.? [burner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats!!

Anyone know how the roll down process goes?
I didn’t stick around post race since I heard roll down was virtual?

Was 6th in M30-34, and they had 4 slots. Was I supposed to stick around for roll down?

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 / Any inside knowledge rumors etc.? [burner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burner wrote:
M55-59 had 5 slots, 5:18 snagged the final one. Times were way slower than normal on all legs, guys that are ~25-26 mins swimmers went ~32 mins.

Thanks. These 55-59 studs run way faster than I can these days. i am one of the guys who swim-bikes like a 35 year old and then runs like a 70 year old lol..much respect for these guys .

Congrats to all who snagged slots in tough conditions !!!
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 / Any inside knowledge rumors etc.? [chanthony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your race!

You didn't need to hang around, those that were in the automatic qualification spots were able to accept in the afternoon of the race. I believe IM will notify any rolldowns in the next couple of days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ed, I was in the 50 to 55 wave behind your group. After "you" started the swim the announcer says "there goes Ed O'Malley....". I am like why do I know that name.
Well now I know why. Congrats on a fine race on a tough day.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Honu 70.3 / Any inside knowledge rumors etc.? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How odd! My wife does not remember hearing that. Was my name the only one they announced at the start?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next