Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan spoke quite favorably about Patrick, stating that Patrick did good by trying to attack on the bike and that he has grown significantly as an athlete.

Greetings from the German Wine Route,
Roland
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the links.

Here's a great video of the race, with loads of footage.

Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan was lucky not to get a time penalty for not hanging his bike properly in T2 ...visibly frantic racing

Last edited by: lacticturkey: Apr 25, 21 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [RolandG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure Patrick appreciates Jan stamping his 2x World Champion card.

RolandG wrote:
Jan spoke quite favorably about Patrick, stating that Patrick did good by trying to attack on the bike and that he has grown significantly as an athlete.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worst coverage of sport I've ever attempted to watch, two blokes sat around speaking in Spanish is how it seemed when I skimmed through it.

Thanks to a ST thread as usual for providing better coverage than the official!
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
I'm sure Patrick appreciates Jan stamping his 2x World Champion card.

RolandG wrote:

People can be nice without being sarcastic or cynical. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Greetings from the German Wine Route,
Roland
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
Thanks for the links.

Here's a great video of the race, with loads of footage.

Thanks for this link. Course looks beautiful. Which town in Canary Islands is this out of?
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Worst coverage of sport I've ever attempted to watch, two blokes sat around speaking in Spanish is how it seemed when I skimmed through it.

Thanks to a ST thread as usual for providing better coverage than the official!

the nerve of those guys, speaking Spanish. and in the Canary islands, no less!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It isn't really out of any bigger town, but on the south-east coast of Gran Canaria, between the small "resort towns" of Arguineguin and Puerto Rico. Closest town would be Maspalomas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Jan was lucky not to get a time penalty for not hanging his bike properly in T2 ...visibly frantic racing

Yeah that actually annoyed me a little bit! Atleast ask him to rehang it! Equal rules to all
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right?!
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Just a general comment but I find it interesting when we talk about the end of the Uber biker, if you look at the last hour of the bike here:

https://www.sportstats.ca/...s.xhtml?raceid=98641

You see that Frodeno puts in an additional 3+++++ minutes into everyone, clearly that’s where he wins the race.

for what it's worth, this also seems to be the ryf strategy. solid swim, and then a strong but controlled ride for the first 2/3 or 3/4 of the bike. then rip of the rest of the ride like a bat out of hell, putting all sorts of time into the rest of the pack as they're fading. (didn't ryf ride her last 40k faster than wurf a few years ago?) then run controlled and bob's your uncle.

it's not terribly exciting - at least in part because it's increasingly predictable. as hugo drax once said, "you return with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season." and with ryf and frodo being the singular athletes they are, they never look particularly taxed as they're doing it.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [RolandG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RolandG wrote:

German is a little rusty, but the google translation app works, sorta.

Frodeno stated that Pablo Gonzales burned some rubber off his rear wheel (aka wheelsucking) and that he got a little vocal about it and the soft officiating (hey, you're in Spain!).
That he kind of spent himself on the surging (on-off) bike and had to hang on for dear life on the run. Spoke favorable of the strong competition on course, including Lange.

Lange stated that he lost contact in the swim when mixed with AG athletes. Kind of admitted he had a good German chase group to work with (legally I hope).
Stated that he felt good back racing and gave it all, with a surge on the 3rd lap to test how hard he was able to go and that he sort of blew up. But was happy with his race.
He came across as much more likeable and professional than in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that

Macca told Wurf that Jan is strongest when he can just do his thing up front and the only way to beat him is to catch him on the bike and distract him into making a pacing mistake. And Cam gave this credit for Jan walking that year in Kona.

Good to hear Jan could shake off the shannanigans
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Apr 25, 21 13:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This Frodeno fellow seems to have potential. I bet if he applied himself he could do well at triathlon.

On a serious note, Maccer is probably correct, but I think with each passing year it gets harder to bait Jan into a mistake (at least outside of transition).

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Thanks for that

Macca told Wurf that Jan is strongest when he can just do his thing up front and the only way to beat him is to catch him on the bike and distract him into making a pacing mistake. And Cam gave this credit for Jan walking that year in Kona.

Good to hear Jan could shake off the shannanigans

So Lange should send a big care package to Wurf for breaking Jan !!!
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
RolandG wrote:

German is a little rusty, but the google translation app works, sorta.

Frodeno stated that Pablo Gonzales burned some rubber off his rear wheel (aka wheelsucking) and that he got a little vocal about it and the soft officiating (hey, you're in Spain!).
That he kind of spent himself on the surging (on-off) bike and had to hang on for dear life on the run. Spoke favorable of the strong competition on course, including Lange.

Lange stated that he lost contact in the swim when mixed with AG athletes. Kind of admitted he had a good German chase group to work with (legally I hope).
Stated that he felt good back racing and gave it all, with a surge on the 3rd lap to test how hard he was able to go and that he sort of blew up. But was happy with his race.
He came across as much more likeable and professional than in the past.

The thing is lange is just not as polished with media than Jan is , who tells the spanish media how nice the course is ,and that he is so thankful that the spanish people are so nice to him, and the german media how much dapena was drafting.

Lange did a good bit of work on the bike , while he is not real thread in a half for the top guys iam sure his performance was noted today.

What was interesting laidlow befor he crashed had managed to break away from the leading top 6 on the bike. At the end it's about making it to the finish line but it's nice to see somebody with a first pack swim with the guts to attack Jan .

Pushing limit on their u tube channel with 2 people plus a motorbiker on race day managed to do a fab 57 min race recap within 24 hours of the race. Very impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
Chemist wrote:
ferluinavela wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
ferluinavela wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
Maybe if he had at least made podium? I don't think 4th in this field will get him off the hook with his haters

This field could defeat at every US triathlete, in Europe the level is higher than in US

I'm aware. But what's your point?

I'm European, fyi

See Daytona, Miami and Gran Canaria and compare; you could see the results of every race in the last years. Lionel Sanders is canadian and I speak about US athlets.

I’m confused. US athletes finished 2nd and 5th at Daytona. At the last Kona race in 2019 US athletes finished 2nd and 4th. At the most recent 70.3 world championships a US athlete finished 3rd.

Outside of Lange and Frodo halve any of the men podiumed or come close to a podium at Kona or 70.3 worlds or an equivalent race?

2nd, 3rd and 4th at Miami in front of the second and third place Gran Canaria guys. I get that the Euros are super great and awesome and better than America but let's actually do your homework. Pablo and Kastelin were in Miami and non factors.

ETA not to you, obviously, Chemist...

I just dont see the point in comparing those guys all the time. It is pretty obvious that tall guys can make it better in daytona or miami-long levers, more watts and more inertia- Then if you put some climbs, turns, etc the thing can change a lot. I just remind how Iden performed in Nice in 2019 with a road bike and then swept all the field in the run (RVG, brownlee..)
So, apart from Frodo, that does suffer a liitle bit more in this sort of cycling, butstill he is the one, the rest of the guys can perform really well or bad depending on the course
FLAT C: Hanson, Sanders, Ditlev... they will do fine
HILLY C: Dapena, Iden (he smashed in Daytona though), Gomez

Then you have Kienle or Brownlee that can do fine no matter the type of course....
Miami and Daytona are not the standard for 70.3s...but given that, well, you´ll find some guys at the top that in other conditions will do not excel in standard races.
This year in St.George, hilly, I predict Iden (if he is not trying Kona) or Alistair to win

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watched the coverage / highlights. Main take aways:

• Bike course was extremely tight, technical. Very narrow 2-way road with race traffic on both sides (when AGers got on course it was a real mess and with all the media motos).
  • Very hilly - seemed they were either climbing or descending a 5% or more grade the entire time - meaning many, many power surges to kill the legs.
  • Virtually no adherence to 20m draft zones or officiating. It looked like all the pro's "sorta tried" to stay around 5m apart at most, but couldn't really do more with all the climbs and u-turns on course. That said, I don't think drafting would have played a major role in this race - too many hills.
  • Course would have suited Lange as a smaller guy where w/kg becomes more important on climbs than absolute watts.
  • Run was just as bad as the bike in terms of mostly being on narrow pedestrian paths with hundreds of turns, AGers to pass, etc.
  • For those guys to go sub-3h50 on that course shows what incredible athletes they are
  • Love or hate Lange, he made the race interesting. He gave it a go on the bike and run as best he could but faded in the last part of the run to be overtaken by Kastelein.
  • Frodo was really hurt (by the course and race tactics of competitors) but still came away with the Win. Pure class.

Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post, this!

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno and Lange racing this weekend [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Thanks for this link. Course looks beautiful. Which town in Canary Islands is this out of?

Only just saw this, sorry!! I'm not sure, can't find the course on the website. From the name, Mogan, I guess?
Quote Reply

Prev Next