Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matate99 wrote:
If I die "young" I would want it to be doing something I love. For my family it would be more painful knowing I died of a heart attack stuck at work vs out riding my bike doing something I loved. It would suck either way for them, but knowing I was having a good time before I went would be nice.

If I die "old" I would want it to be before my mind and body have gone and both me and my family no longer recognized the person I was. I don't care how it happens, just get me out of there.

100% on all points
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello erikmulk and All,

I will not like to die.

I do not want to die.

So it will not likely be by any choice of mine.

Should it happen here on Earth I request my ashes be baked in bread and fed to pigeons and seagulls to be spread far and wide.

If it happens on Mars when I am 800 Earth years old .... still functioning like 20 years old .... my biological body weight out weighed by robotic parts .... as a full on cyborg ... I request my consciousness be uploaded to a new robot and assigned to exploration of the universe.

That said ... when I was very young and loved my Grandmother very much .... I worried about her dying. She knew this and told me .... when the time comes ... do not fear it .... you will be very tired and ready for a long sleep.

I still miss my Grandmother .....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's interesting to see how people's near-death experiences have influenced or changed their positions on this. Seems like a lot of people that have been involved in bike crashes and such would understandably prefer the alternative. On the other hand, I spent most of my teenage years in and out of hospitals due to various mental health issues, and watching the impact it had on my family is something that still deeply bothers me to this day. Not to mention the time and experiences I lost. I got pretty bitter in there, and that's not really what I want to be remembered like.
I doubt that it would be any less painful for the people around me either way, but dying in a hospital bed in my 20's before I've gotten to do half of the stuff I'd like to sounds extra depressing. If I had more of a life to look back on I might feel differently.

Or maybe I'm just a dumb 23 year old. Hopefully I live long enough to find that one out :)
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [krampus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old, in good shape, after having enjoyed a great life and with inner peace. I guess sleeping should be the best way

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
My friend's father died saving his drowning son.

If I had a choice, I'd prefer to go out in a selfless manner.

This. Either saving a life, or defending another life. I've made it very plain to my daughters that we all WILL die some day, me included. Hopefully not today... But I've also made peace with dying, and would lay it down to defend another, or save another.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
rijndael wrote:
My friend's father died saving his drowning son.

If I had a choice, I'd prefer to go out in a selfless manner.

This. Either saving a life, or defending another life. I've made it very plain to my daughters that we all WILL die some day, me included. Hopefully not today... But I've also made peace with dying, and would lay it down to defend another, or save another.

You'd give your life to defend someone other than immediate family? How old are your kids?
I have a 10 and 12 yold and leaving them without a father (unless defending one of them or Ms Shady) isnt likely something I'd be prepared to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
brider wrote:

You'd give your life to defend someone other than immediate family? How old are your kids?
I have a 10 and 12 yold and leaving them without a father (unless defending one of them or Ms Shady) isnt likely something I'd be prepared to do.

My children are 20 and 7. Yes, I would defend someone outside my immediate family.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello erikmulk and All,

I will not like to die.

I do not want to die.

So it will not likely be by any choice of mine.

Should it happen here on Earth I request my ashes be baked in bread and fed to pigeons and seagulls to be spread far and wide.

If it happens on Mars when I am 800 Earth years old .... still functioning like 20 years old .... my biological body weight out weighed by robotic parts .... as a full on cyborg ... I request my consciousness be uploaded to a new robot and assigned to exploration of the universe.

That said ... when I was very young and loved my Grandmother very much .... I worried about her dying. She knew this and told me .... when the time comes ... do not fear it .... you will be very tired and ready for a long sleep.

I still miss my Grandmother .....

yeah similar, I recall being young ..10..11 and having panic attacks at night thinking about my parents dying. I was at an age where I was trying to come to terms with the 'forever and ever'part of dying. I'm old now. Parents still alive in their mid-80s:) (I've been lucky) and working through this with my 10 yrold daughter who is a lot like me and worries. My son on the otherhand at 7..'Dad, we die and thats it' ..me 'yeah, pretty much' ..him..'ok..good night'. LOL..
Your grandma was 100% ...I think (IF I make it to old age) I'll be tired too and readly for long nap. Hell..I get up in the morning now .with aches and pains, and think about staying in bed..lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
shady wrote:
brider wrote:

My children are 20 and 7. Yes, I would defend someone outside my immediate family.

Cool
I would defend someone too but not at risk of certain death
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take out a shitty old plane no one would miss and fly over the Pacific never to be found or seen again. Preferably when I'm a terminally ill 100 year old.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [shady, brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
brider wrote:
shady wrote:
brider wrote:

Cool
I would defend someone too but not at risk of certain death

I wasn't going to bring this up since this forum has something of an antiwar vibe to it, but when I was in the military, I did 4 tours in AFG and 2 in Iraq. Some may think this is weird but I always hoped that, were my unit ever to get involved in close order combat, and a live grenade landed in the middle of my team, I would hope that I would have the balls to jump on it and save the other guys from death and/or injury. However, unless we have a real WWIII, I doubt I'll have this option. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like this thread has turned into two questions.

1. How would you like to die?
2. Would you give up your life for someone else if such a situation arose?

The answer to question 2 can be "yes" even if the preferred death would be to live long enough to die peacefully.

I would not want to die doing triathlon because that implies I died too young. I'd rather survive every triathlon I do, enjoy a longer life, and then die quietly after I can't do the things that make me happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my grandfathers died when he was 89... he had fallen asleep while watching Baywatch, with a beer in his hand.

That seems like a pretty good way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Answer to original question:

Selfish answer is unknowingly doing something I enjoy
Unselfish answer is in whatever way brings the least grief and burden to my family, so this one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this discussion with my daughter in the course of healthcare POA decisions, etc. I told her to drive me up the mountain and let me descend on my favorite road bike so that nature takes its course. “But what if you survive?”she asked. Well, take me up and let me do it again!
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello roubaixman and All,

Perhaps not the best plan ....

"Ethan returns to the farm and picks up Mattie to take her to the train station. They stop at a hill upon which they had once planned to go sledding and decide to sled together as a way of delaying their sad parting, after which they anticipate never seeing each other again.

After their first run, Mattie suggests a suicide pact: that they go down again, and steer the sled directly into a tree, so they will never be parted and so that they may spend their last moments together. Ethan first refuses to go through with the plan, but in his despair that mirrors Mattie's, he ultimately agrees, and they get on the sled, clutching each other.

On the way down, a vision of Zeena's face startles Ethan into swerving a bit, but he corrects their course, and they crash headlong and at high speed into the elm tree. Ethan regains consciousness after the accident but Mattie lies beside him, "cheeping" in pain like a small wounded animal. Ethan is also injured, and the reader is left to understand that this was the "smash-up" that left Ethan with a permanent limp.

The epilogue returns to the framing story and the first-person narrator point of view of the prologue.

The framing story resumes precisely where it left off: just as Frome and his visitor, the narrator, enter the Frome household in the story's present. The narrator hears a complaining female voice, and it is easy to assume that it belongs to the never-happy Zeena, but in the final twist of the story, it emerges that it is in fact Mattie, who now lives with the Fromes due to having been paralyzed in the accident.

Her misery over her plight and dependence has embittered and "soured" her, and, with roles reversed, Zeena is now forced to care for her as well as Ethan. Further illustrating the psychosomatic nature of most of Zeena's previous complaints, she has now found the strength through necessity to be the caregiver rather than being the invalid. In an agonizing irony, Ethan and Mattie have gotten their wish to stay together, but in mutual unhappiness and discontent, with Mattie helpless and paralyzed, and with Zeena as a constant presence between the two of them."

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
Old, in good shape, after having enjoyed a great life and with inner peace. I guess sleeping should be the best way

It's something that's only going happen once in my life, no way do I want to sleep through it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next