Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc Brake Wheelset Setup Q
Quote | Reply
So I am trying to set my Trek Checkpoint SL6 up as an all around use bike. I have the original wheels and tires for the days of gravel riding. I also just bought a set of HED emporia wheels to setup with a nice road tire so I can simply swap wheels out when I want to do a nice paved road riding day. I bought what I thought was the same brake rotor for them and when I slip them on the bike they do not fit the same. Specifically, the brake rotor is up against the pad on one side. Then I noticed that the rotor on the wheel and setup of the wheel is a slightly different setup. I know they are Centerlock style and to tighten the brake rotor onto the wheel I use a larger bottom bracket type wrench. The wheels that came with the bike it is the same wrench as I use to tighten a cassette on. The diameter of the rotor is the same for both and the thru axle fits correctly also.

Any thoughts? Can I space the rotor over in an easy manner? Will the wheels simply not work? Somewhere in between?
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brake Wheelset Setup Q [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://novemberbicycles.com/...rotor-shim-pack-of-4

I use these and they work fairly well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what bearlyfinish said is the pen-ultimate solution ultimate one is using the same wheels and that is meaningless here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG2ApxL0eIA

Take a look at this video, this you-tuber will explain everything what you need.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brake Wheelset Setup Q [bearlyfinish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks like exactly what I need! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd run the Emporia's on gravel and the stock wheels on the road due to the width and overall recommended use of the wheel set itself being a 'gravel wheel set'.
Check your center lock rotors to see if they are installed in the correct orientation, meaning not upside down. I made this mistake once and spent 20 minutes messing with the caliper before realizing the Center Lock rotor was installed upside down.

After you have verified they are installed correctly, check out the spacers posted.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Brake Wheelset Setup Q [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The stock wheels and the Emporia wheels have exactly the same measurements for the rim width (internal and external). Also, the depth is pretty close (I think 1 mm difference).

As far as installing the rotor itself, the rotation arrow is pointed the correct direction so I think they are done correct. I am going to order up some of the spacers and it really looks like that will allow me to fine tune it so they are easy to swap out.
Quote Reply