Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coeur d'Alene - Full (Tri-Bike OR Road Bike)?
Quote | Reply
The profile for the Coeur d'Alene Fill Bike Course is showing 7,000 feet of climbing, I am wondering:

Use:

TRI - Bike (Trek Speed Concept)
or
ROAD-Bike (Trek Emonda)

Zipp 808 Rear Wheel, P-88 Premier Front Wheel, Aero bars on Road Bike

(see photos)

me:
180#, 50th percentile Age Grouper
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene - Full (Tri-Bike OR Road Bike)? [iwas9409] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SC. ALL DAY. What goes up must come down. Ditch the bottles for the climb and do a bta/bts/aero down tube

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% speed concept

The bike is actually more like 6000 feet of climbing based on previous times I’ve done the course. Outside of a two of the climbs/decents (Bennet Bay Hill and Mica Hill climb which you will do in each direction twice) most people will be in aero the whole time. Lots of the elevation comes from mild, gradual grades.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just don't forget to put a tire on the front!

Nice bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene - Full (Tri-Bike OR Road Bike)? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Just don't forget to put a tire on the front!

Nice bike.

now that is attention to detail ;>)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question the tri bike. (disc too BTW if you have one)

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Apr 19, 21 5:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride the TT bike if you are going to stay on the aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much what everyone said. TT bike. I raced the 70.3 two years ago and was in the aero position almost the entire time (except for a few climbs).

Best course I’ve ever raced. Absolutely beautiful scenery. Unfortunately, a few weeks ago I made the call to bail on the full this year due to a knee injury. Despite that, I’m really happy to see the race is going forward this year.

Have a blast on race day. We will be (virtually) cheering for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First world problems...

I didn't think CdA was that that steep. Placid was more climbing intensive.

Ride the bike you would stay in aero position more and the one you are more comfortable over 112 miles. Riding the less comfortable bike will damage your run.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's a windy day, which is not uncommon, you will appreciate the TRI bike very much in my experience from doing the long and half events several times - and I used to live there. Assuming as others mentioned, that you are ok staying in aero position most of the time. I found the varying uphill sections frequent and slow enough for enough breaks from holding aero. Good luck - IMO it's a great course.
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene - Full (Tri-Bike OR Road Bike)? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:
I didn't think CdA was that that steep.

This is sorta the flag I fly too, even though it seems like a lot of people say opposite. Weirdly I've never actually done the race, but I grew up there and rode the coarse for a decade so I've got a lot of hours on it. I think people view it as a hard course because the climbs are so visible and long, but they're very 'spinnable.' I think the Bennet Bay climb is the hardest little section on the whole course; steep, but you'd have to have pretty low gearing to not go over threshold.

Regardless, yes, TT bike all day.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene - Full (Tri-Bike OR Road Bike)? [Greg R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Agreed that it can get windy when you are on the main part of the course south of town.
Last edited by: HaydenHunter: May 3, 21 22:08
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene - Full (Tri-Bike OR Road Bike)? [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HaydenHunter wrote:

Agreed that it can get windy when you are on the main part of the course south of town.

Too windy to run a disc??
Quote Reply
Re: Coeur d'Alene - Full (Tri-Bike OR Road Bike)? [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
HaydenHunter wrote:

Don't know. I don't use one. There have been quite breezy days over the years with wind in teens and gusts in 20s but usually (and hopefully this year) not that windy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
HaydenHunter wrote:

I find this an interesting question. I always found my disc (cover, I assume it's the same effect though) to be more stable than without it. So if I have a disc, I would run it unless the rules state you can't. Interesting question because are there people with full discs that regularly/semi regularly go without based upon the anticipated winds?

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had trouble running a disc at CDA even on a few windy race days.
Quote Reply