Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What kind of insurance do you have on your bike?
Quote | Reply
When you're riding around the city, what kind of coverage do you have?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of insurance do you have on your bike? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why ? Thinking of taking it off me forcibly ?? 🤪
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of insurance do you have on your bike? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would I want to insure my bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. So now a proper reply.

As far as the bike itself, whikst riding none, if I stick it ? none.

My British Triathlon Federation membership gives me 3rd party liability cover in case I take someone else out, and also provides legal assistance cover if some moron takes me out whilst riding (commutes and shopping rides all count within that 3rd party + legal protection insurance).

I've got my bikes insured for theft via the house contents insurance. They have to be either in the house/garage at home, or if out away from home then need to be locked with a 'sold secure gold' level lock, to an immovable object.
I had to declare any bike over about £1500 on the policy- but the policy would cover them (I don't have a mega pricey super bike for Tri - I'd guess the most costly to replace new-for-old would be my full susser mountain bike at about £4.5 to £5k, though I paid a whole lot less than that on a great deal)
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of insurance do you have on your bike? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Ok. So now a proper reply.

As far as the bike itself, whikst riding none, if I stick it ? none.

My British Triathlon Federation membership gives me 3rd party liability cover in case I take someone else out, and also provides legal assistance cover if some moron takes me out whilst riding (commutes and shopping rides all count within that 3rd party + legal protection insurance).

I've got my bikes insured for theft via the house contents insurance. They have to be either in the house/garage at home, or if out away from home then need to be locked with a 'sold secure gold' level lock, to an immovable object.
I had to declare any bike over about £1500 on the policy- but the policy would cover them (I don't have a mega pricey super bike for Tri - I'd guess the most costly to replace new-for-old would be my full susser mountain bike at about £4.5 to £5k, though I paid a whole lot less than that on a great deal)

I’ll bite on this thread as I just got a nice new bike...any reason to get insurance ? I haven’t homeowners coveting 50k of misc things but I’m sure taking on another 5k in coverage wouldn’t really break the bank. Is that enough or is bike insurance worth it ? I’ve seen quotes around $300 a year.

I likely won’t be traveling with my bike via plane. Too many horror stories I’ve seen from that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$1.5 million in personal insurance and just personal property(home insurance) on the bike.

I had to buy up my insurance to allow me to sue myself should someone hit me while out riding. It allows me to use my $500k uninsured/underinsured motorist plus my $1m umbrella.

Destroying me is more important(to myself and my spouse) than a replaceable object.

I think most insurance companies wouldn't balk at paying for your bike minus deductible, however they might drop you next renewal. Smaller homeowner claims are in general not worth making.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike is insured and it costs around 220$ a year. It was very simple and easy to do. This is covered under my house insurance. It's just a separate line added to the quote. I had the LBS appraise my bike, then add a few zero's lol. I sent that in and now I am covered for theft from home or race site, crash (as long as I'm not a professional making a living off of racing) and other accidents. I figure I'll keep the insurance on for another few years until my SC loses some value. It will then only be covered as a content of my home if stolen or lost in fire, flood etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, when living in Sao Paulo, Brazil having a insurance for your bike is almost mandatory.

Chances are someone will try to steal it from you during a early morning training session

So I get your point!
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of insurance do you have on your bike? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who does your house insurance in the UK? Mines coming up for renewal and I'm stuck at the £1500 single item limit. To insure a bike over that was prohibitively expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just homeowners against theft.

Why would I get extra bike insurance? If something does happen there's subsidized frame replacement from the manufacturer, or hell an excuse to buy a new bike.

I'm mostly, almost entirely, worried about the rider not the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These bike stickers hopefully have 'em think twice outside the café stop.

joking, of course. I mean who can conceal carry in that kit. - home/renters is sufficient.

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of insurance do you have on your bike? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Why would I want to insure my bike?

Here’s an article to answer your question.

https://velosurance.com/...i-insure-my-bicycle/
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of insurance do you have on your bike? [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who does your house insurance in the UK? Mines coming up for renewal and I'm stuck at the £1500 single item limit. To insure a bike over that was prohibitively expensive.

We're using Admiral.

Having several bikes over £1500 (I think that was the threshold) required them to be itemised. But for what probably adds up to £15k total for all the bikes, it only added a few quid to the premium (maybe 20-30 quid extra, if that. Nothing ludicrous.

And Admiral were not stupid-expensive in the 1st place - similar with Direct Line for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of insurance do you have on your bike? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I am a bicycle manufacturer, it only costs me about 30% of the retail price to replace a bike.

And insurance still doesn't make sense for most people because the premiums are so high.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of insurance do you have on your bike? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Since I am a bicycle manufacturer, it only costs me about 30% of the retail price to replace a bike.

And insurance still doesn't make sense for most people because the premiums are so high.

Well then maybe you should have said that. Instead, you asked a generic question and I provided you with an answer. You are entitled to disagree with the reasons for insurance, but there are legitimate reasons to carry insurance on many things, bikes included. Personally, I don’t on a bike but that doesn’t mean there aren’t reasons to do so.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of insurance do you have on your bike? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess that you don't have your bikes insured because the premiums are too high for the coverage provided.

This is the case for most people.

That's why I asked the question in my first post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would guess that you don't have your bikes insured because the premiums are too high for the coverage provided.

This is the case for most people.

That's why I asked the question in my first post.

I’ve never even priced it so I don’t know. But, if you had provided that additional information, your initial post would have been useful. Instead, it simply asked why you would ever insure a bike, a question that the article I sent you answered even if not convincingly to you.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 22, 21 18:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
What?

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of insurance do you have on your bike? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
plant_based wrote:
What?

What?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply