Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit sitting in the basement 14 years
Quote | Reply
As I come out of retirement I realize the last time I wore my wetsuit was 2008. It's a pretty entry level QR sleeveless suit. It appears to be ok....but should I be worried about it? Eagleman is in 8 weeks and my guess is I won't be able to do any open water practice swims until two weeks or so before the race.
Last edited by: klorene: Apr 18, 21 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit sitting in the basement 14 years [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you soak it in a bathtub for a while first. Add chlorine remover too. Then try on and if good, try it out in the local pool.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
As I come out of retirement I realize the last time I wore my wetsuit was 2008. It's a pretty entry level QR sleeveless suit. It appears to be ok....but should I be worried about it? Eagleman is in 8 weeks and my guess is I won't be able to do any open water practice swims until two weeks or so before the race.

Check inside. If the fabric detaches or the blown rubber degrades/peels, it's done.

Give it a little stretch test. If the skin is tearing, it's done.

Otherwise it's good to go. If you still fit inside.

Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 18, 21 12:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:

Started to laugh and then thought...Damn , mines been hanging in the closet for 13 years and ..and 35 lbs..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should be fine, unless there are some environmental issues such as excessive ozone.

As mentioned, soak the wetsuit to help restore flex to the rubber and air dry. Try it on just to make sure it still fits and won't rip.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get a new Xterra suit. Spend 100 to 150. That's pretty decent. I wouldn't want to wear a suit sitting in a basement for that long. Mold? Spiders?

Haha
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit sitting in the basement 14 years [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was actually my next question. Is it worth it to just get a new one...

Of course the always answer is get a new bike...lol

Xterra is having a pretty good sale. Their sleeveless of their top version for 150 I think.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit sitting in the basement 14 years [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
klorene wrote:

Started to laugh and then thought...Damn , mines been hanging in the closet for 13 years and ..and 35 lbs..

I heard that when you don't use a wetsuit for a few seasons, the rubber and the suit shrink by a couple of sizes

I thought about getting back into racing. Can confirm :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit sitting in the basement 14 years [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
shady wrote:
klorene wrote:

I heard that when you don't use a wetsuit for a few seasons, the rubber and the suit shrink by a couple of sizes

I thought about getting back into racing. Can confirm :-)

on man.. I’d maayybe get it up to mid-thigh if i tried it on. Shame too.. cause it was a top end $uit.
Quote Reply