Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Edison New Jersey Ride (Route) Needed !!
Quote | Reply
I am kicking myself for not pre-thinking this but .................. staying at the "Home2 Suites" by Hilton in Edison, NJ and got the opportunity to do a ride (~ 20 to 40 miles). However ................ I did not think ahead (or think I would have time to even do one) so I have no freakin clue where to go. Looks like a LOT of traffic. Would like to leave from this hotel but beggars can't be choosers. Anyone have a route they can share here (quickly)?
Thanks in advance!!!!

Staying at Home2 Suites just off New Durham Rd & Reading Rd
Quote Reply
Re: Edison New Jersey Ride (Route) Needed !! [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't

Too congested, too many lights, too many North Jersey drivers

You're more likely than not to get clobbered, especially if you don't know your way around

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Edison New Jersey Ride (Route) Needed !! [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just found / copied this one from another user.
Are you from the area (assuming so based on your response).
Thoughts?
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35734925

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not familiar with riding in that specific area and there may be a hidden route that’s not horribly dangerous. But I would suggest going for a run if you want to leave from the hotel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are the good news and bad news for you:

Good new: you aren't in the really dense part of Edison, where the streets can be quite confusing to navigate (the main roads have a tendency to change directions)

Bad news: you still need to ride a fair ways westward to get to the truly rideable areas. Riding in the corridor btwn NJ 27 and I-95 is downright horrible, and you'll need to make your way west of NJ 27. But as the other responding poster noted, you likely aren't familiar with the area and don't know which roads to take.

Area west of the point indicated below is generally rideable. Hurdle for you is to ride 10+ miles from where you are to this point. The roads from your hotel to this point, however, see quite a bit of heavy traffic.

40.52088611559679, -74.52229321013314
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having that be my hometown and growing up riding, , it would be tough to plan a route out now. I was just there last week and wondered how I ran all those miles and rode it the Watchung Mountains to do repeats. No way I would that today.. look on mapmyride or ask bike shop. Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have to start from there? I could suggest plenty but starts would require a 15 or so minute drive to somewhere I’m familiar with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the feedback guys and gals. With some tweaks, I ended up doing this route below (from hotel to my sons track meet). I guess I would gauge it on whether I would do it again or not. I would definitely do it again. Was there traffic? Heck yes. Was it dangerous? I don’t believe so (although I guess every time we hop on the bike one could say it’s dangerous). I come from a fairly rural area so I think for anyone looking to ride out here and based on the previous comments, this route would be ok for an experienced rider.

So for that reason I’ll leave it (route) here in case it helps anyone else traveling and needing a ride / route. Thanks again all!!!!!

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35734925
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Head to the Watchung Reservation and Great Swamp area. Those are nice places to ride, if you are still in town.
Quote Reply