Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Let's Talk Arm Cups...
Quote | Reply
Setting the stage: I'm replacing my 3T compact Brezza II arm cups with something & researching options. Something providing a better "hold" and comfort on my forearms. Currently using Cee Gee pads but generally the cups I have are small & relatively flat.

Options found so far:
1) Profile
2) Tri Rig Scoop (open or closed--not sure which I'd get)
3) D2Zero
4) Aero Coach
5) 51 Speedshop
6) Anemoi

Pros, cons, likes? Dislikes??

I likely will be moving to more of a praying mantis position to close up some holes my bike fitter suggested.
Wattshop (looking especially at the adjustable angled risers) or Tri Rig angled riser. (**he was a US 1 hour record holder so he didn't just fall off the pumpkin wagon).
Last edited by: Rocky M: Apr 16, 21 14:52
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Talk Arm Cups... [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few years ago I had the Brezza II(Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s the same as the compact just a wider basebar) and my hang up with the bar was the pads seem to slope out. I used the 51SS cups for a bit but even those did not seem to provide very much ā€œholdā€ on the outside of my elbows.

Iā€™m currently using the D2Z Ergo cups and they have a large lip that creates a nice ā€œholdā€ that might be worth looking into.

The D2Z cups do not come pre drilled, although there are slots designed for the holes. So make sure you get yourself the right bit if you go that direction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In terms of hold and comfort, I really like the PD Race cups. Some say they're tight but I'm a 6'3 195 lbs guy and had no issues. Just took a few ride to get used to the feeling. The tight wrap is very secure and also makes them comfortable because the weight is distributed side-to-side. Some of the uptions like scoops distribute the weight length wise, which adds comfort, but maybe not as much stability (which can be good or bad)

I now use custom cups but otherwise think I'd stick with PD Race for off-the-shelf.

Check out Revolver, too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Test Lab on instagram have tested and reviewed a bunch of arm cups. Check them out.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Talk Arm Cups... [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will do thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Talk Arm Cups... [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
In terms of hold and comfort, I really like the PD Race cups. Some say they're tight but I'm a 6'3 195 lbs guy and had no issues. Just took a few ride to get used to the feeling. The tight wrap is very secure and also makes them comfortable because the weight is distributed side-to-side. Some of the uptions like scoops distribute the weight length wise, which adds comfort, but maybe not as much stability (which can be good or bad)

I now use custom cups but otherwise think I'd stick with PD Race for off-the-shelf.

Check out Revolver, too

I have the PD Race cups on my bars and I've been absolutely miserable on them. I put CeeGees on them and did a 90 minute ride today and it was a little better, but they're just too tight for anything over an hour (I have some thick forearms). Just ordered the Ergo cups this evening, so hopefully that'll fix it for GC 70.3 coming up here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really see the need for a curve on the inside edge, but the higher edges are really nice. That probably makes the AeroCoach pads as my pick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Culprit CSR also in stock and very comfortable at 210 mm long
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Talk Arm Cups... [Brandon_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandon_W wrote:

I have the PD Race cups on my bars and I've been absolutely miserable on them. I put CeeGees on them and did a 90 minute ride today and it was a little better, but they're just too tight for anything over an hour (I have some thick forearms). Just ordered the Ergo cups this evening, so hopefully that'll fix it for GC 70.3 coming up here.

Something that doesn't tend to get communicated with the Race cups is that the 5mm cushion is intended to create more space for larger forearms.
I determined the shape of the Race cup by sizing it to suit my wife (as a good representative of skinny cyclist arms) with the 10mm cushion and myself (representative of a larger than average athlete) with 5mm cushion.

Of course, the intent of having multiple cup options is that the Ergo suits nearly everyone and the Race exists for those who like to be really locked in.

For the OP - PD cups aren't ideal for you as they're based on 15mm spacing and your Brezzas are 25mm bolt spacing.
There is a pad wedge on the way that will add tilt to your arm cups and convert other spacings to PD friendly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Setting the stage: I'm replacing my 3T compact Brezza II arm cups with something & researching options. Something providing a better "hold" and comfort on my forearms. Currently using Cee Gee pads but generally the cups I have are small & relatively flat.

Options found so far:
1) Profile
3) D2Zero
4) Aero Coach
5) 51 Speedshop
6) Anemoi

Going through a similar process, so interested in responses. I also have Kismet and Sync on my option list.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Talk Arm Cups... [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any pros/cons of the cups that have the back upturned vs the more "open" cups? Some are more closed off closest to you to lock the elbows in so you don't slide back any. But have you had a reason find difficulty with one vs the other design?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None of the closed back options serve the purpose I would want them for, nor do I think the designs are ideal so I've never bought any to try.
I could see value in the closed back for a very steep arm angle, but at the angles most people ride it doesn't seem necessary if the right cup and extension are paired
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm completely level with the ground right now. I'm thinking of a 20-25 degree increase (at least suggested by the fitter a few weeks ago). I was just wondering if there were any safety issues getting in/out of them in a split second.

On one hand, I can get out of min pads quick now but they are the 3T compact ones, and don't hold me in well, so hitting a manhole cover or something could "launch" my grip away from the bars. If the front wheel drops down for example, it may be more of an issue than if they are angled up for leverage. At least my hands wouldn't slide off the R2C shifter/level "S" bend bars. However, that should never happen if a course is properly marked or obstacles coned off....Just say'n that happened to me. Thank you to the race organizers for missing it...So this is in part, to gain additional safety measures on board, as we can't always depend on the organizers to mark everything correctly/safely that may be unavoidable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would find the added control of a supportive cup (PD, Zipp, Tririg, 51s and the other aftermarket guys) to help a lot with not getting pushed out of position.
In terms of split second changes - you have to move your body up anyway so I've never had a problem with higher sides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Now I just need to pick one. Kind of looking at Revolver right now...I'd love any input from anyone who has had additional experience changing position and arm cups with the same questions I have. Been riding the same arm cups (compact 3T) since 2010 w/Cee Gee pads. Look forward to some new ones....!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Revolver Ergo Mantis Mono cup on my Speed Concept and love them. You'd have to have a narrow pad position since I believe they're only 165mm inner width, my elbows/forearms are touching, but I'm a lot more locked in and I can use the back of the cup to pull my elbows against when pushing bigger power. Also it helps with bumps and so on in the road and not sliding off of the pad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PDā€™s injected mould cup feels so good. But old 3t bars use m5 bolts to fasten cups. PD is made for m6 bolts. Grooves on pd is too deep and bolt hole is slightly biggrt than cups fot m5 bolts. You should find convex or lenticular washers to fit them on th 3Ts

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Currently using Cee Gee pads but generally the cups I have are small & relatively flat.

Options found so far:
1) Profile
3) D2Zero
4) Aero Coach
5) 51 Speedshop
6) Anemoi

I went the opposite way: from a scoop shape to flat ones.
The reason is climbing: I have a rather big drop and the base bar is just too low for longer climbs: so I have to put my hands on top of the arm cups.
The top of the scoop formed cups were too sharp. Since i have flat ones, it is a lot better. I must say I not notice the difference when in aero position, but hey, everyone is different.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Talk Arm Cups... [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 to Revolver Ergo Mantis (XL for a great area of contact)

Sorry if my english is pretty bad, I am not english native
Last edited by: ferluinavela: May 5, 21 0:40
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Talk Arm Cups... [ferluinavela] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ferluinavela wrote:
+1 to Revolver Ergo Mantis (XL for a great area of contact)

+1 for this, great product
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Talk Arm Cups... [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And they are excellent!. They have have a very nice weight distribution.
The one thing I would change is to have them a little more ā€˜cradleā€™ so they lock the arms just a little more.
And a softer padding ;-)

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Talk Arm Cups... [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the positive review.

New models in future will resolve the arm cupping issue and foam for new models we are discussing with CeeGees.

However, new models will be heavier than competitors due to some design features. but I hope the feature it offers can be overlooked for the comfort added from the design.

Application for patents are being drawn. hope to show details of the design by the end of June, to go to Pre Order like our CSR last time, with a discount for pre orders.

Launching first a 1 piece arm pad/extension bar. CSR+ and an arm supporting 22.2 extension bar. names 22.2Aero

Joshua
Quote Reply
Re: Let's Talk Arm Cups... [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you chimed in. What is the bolt? M5?
Any riser shim for 15 degree + you have or suggest for the 3T Brezza II brackets/risers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bolts are m4, m5, m6 compatible. we sell wedges that' are 20~31 mm vertical bolt spacing for 5,10,15,20 degrees. I dont know your bolt spacing
Quote Reply