Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Printing Components for Bike
Quote | Reply
anyone played around with printing components intended to make your bike faster? for example, a cover for your brakes? did you have success with durability and testing? i know there are rules about adding certain flanges (i'm guessing for safety reasons), but i'd guess a cover for your brakes would be ok.

if you have, and you used a certain model, can you pls point me in that direction?

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Printing Components for Bike [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do / have done a fair bit.

Best advice is to download Fusion 360 and watch some video's on the basics of how it works. You don't need to be a F360 expert to make some pretty nice parts.

Structurally... most of the stuff you can realistically print at home (with a diy budget) is not structural. A fairing is fine, so long as it doesn't need to take any stresses.
Depending on material you choose, heat can also be an issue. (Hot sun, back of car, etc)

Anything structural you're looking more at 3d Sintering vs. 3d printing.

There is a Facebook group on 3d printed bike parts as well, although not tons in the aero department.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Printing Components for Bike [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thx for the feedback. to be clear, i would never use a 3d printed piece in a situation that, if it fails, could be life-threatening. i'm talking more about shielding certain components from the wind and such.
Last edited by: d00d: Apr 15, 21 12:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
anyone played around with printing components intended to make your bike faster? for example, a cover for your brakes? did you have success with durability and testing? i know there are rules about adding certain flanges (i'm guessing for safety reasons), but i'd guess a cover for your brakes would be ok.

if you have, and you used a certain model, can you pls point me in that direction?

thanks!

I print tons of stuff for my bike, but not fairings.

I've been riding on prototype shoes with printed soles and some other printed parts on them.

I made a printed BTA bottle with computer mount, based on some CFD work I did.

I printed a mount for my Cycliq Fly 6 camera/light that fits my Felt IA seat post.

I printed a double BTA bottle mount for Sam Long that he used when he was still riding a Trek.

found a better shot of the bottle holder:

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Apr 15, 21 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, to build a fairing a 3d printer probably isn't the fastest/easiest way to do it. If I were making a cover for a brake (a 1 off) I'd probably just pick up some wire mesh from local craft store, form it into the desired shape (molding it around the brake) then lay up a little fiberglass (you can buy bondo brand stuff at automotive places or lowes/HD) over that and call it a day. Would be stronger than PLA as well.

The issue you run into in 3d printing is you there's a lot of tolerances you need to get right or the whole print is basically trash.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've thought of using an online 3d print place to make a Di2 front derailleur fairing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3D printed these for my road bar: https://pinshape.com/...ar-aero-bar-end-plug

Not structural, but a quick project that worked well.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Printing Components for Bike [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I've thought of using an online 3d print place to make a Di2 front derailleur fairing.
definitely doable... the issue with FD tinkering (in my experience) is always that almost anything you can add to it is just adding to what's sticking out in the wind. But it's likely currently a very shallowly explored design space so I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't room for improvement.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
If I were making a cover for a brake (a 1 off) I'd probably just pick up some wire mesh from local craft store, form it into the desired shape (molding it around the brake) then lay up a little fiberglass (you can buy bondo brand stuff at automotive places or lowes/HD) over that and call it a day.

A few months ago I discovered that you can lay up some fiberglass on a flat sheet, and when it's still tacky (but not wet) you can pull it off and mold it. I did in fact make a front brake cover to go over my Tririg, and mesh with the headtube and stem. It mounts to the stem and fork. Pretty similar to the cover they sell actually.

It's a tricky project getting the shape smooth in the areas where there isn't internal support... but it doesn't look bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Printing Components for Bike [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Morelock wrote:
If I were making a cover for a brake (a 1 off) I'd probably just pick up some wire mesh from local craft store, form it into the desired shape (molding it around the brake) then lay up a little fiberglass (you can buy bondo brand stuff at automotive places or lowes/HD) over that and call it a day.

A few months ago I discovered that you can lay up some fiberglass on a flat sheet, and when it's still tacky (but not wet) you can pull it off and mold it. I did in fact make a front brake cover to go over my Tririg, and mesh with the headtube and stem. It mounts to the stem and fork. Pretty similar to the cover they sell actually.

It's a tricky project getting the shape smooth in the areas where there isn't internal support... but it doesn't look bad.

Good idea!

Quote Reply
Re: Printing Components for Bike [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For temporary internal support you could consider some styrofoam and/or cardboard.
Quote Reply
Re: Printing Components for Bike [TomvdS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomvdS wrote:
For temporary internal support you could consider some styrofoam and/or cardboard.

The problem is that I'd have to shape it precisely to what I want (curved surfaces)... and make sure it doesn't get in the way of other components.

The two times I tried this the fiberglass held its shape well once in position. But shaping compound curves is particularly hard when you don't have access to the interior surface. I'd have to keep removing it and putting it back. Forming it around the brake was very easy though.

If anyone is interested, I used 3 layers of 4oz cloth (seemed about right) and slow epoxy (bigger window of manipulation). To make one pretty, I think I'd need to do some filler and sanding to get the shape just right.
Quote Reply
Re: Printing Components for Bike [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure this was for your...bike?
Quote Reply