Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PARTICIPANTS WANTED- Helmet study online survey
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I’m part of a research project looking into competitive cyclists’ perceptions of helmet use and we are looking for participants. It is a short online survey (5 mins max) for any age (18+), ability, discipline and genders. Please click on the link below to complete the survey, thank you!

https://forms.office.com/r/3iPkTkYFHN

If you want to find out more about the research, feel free to email me jackhardwickephd@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: PARTICIPANTS WANTED- Helmet study online survey [jhbiker97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done.

Feedback in terms of things I would buy in a helmet.........for road race/track style stuff with other competitors and a possible over the bars situation.......an old school football helmet chin bar would keep your face from becoming hamburger.

I had a crash in a road race sprint. The mips helmet did its task for the skull, but the face was hamburger.

I saw a startup working on something, but never saw availability.

I would say not needed for individual things like TT, individual pursuit, triathlon. But I would welcome it for road race, track sprint, weeknight worlds, etc...

I bet the weight/structure needed to make that work is prohibitive. But I'd still buy it.

Shoot, if it was cold weather I'd consider wearing a Keirin suit for crit racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the question regarding reasons for deciding on a certain helmet, I think cost/price should be included as one of the options.
Quote Reply
Re: PARTICIPANTS WANTED- Helmet study online survey [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback! That was an oversight, have added cost as an option now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done.

Regarding the questions on seeking medical attention post-crash, it depends more on my condition (headache, blurred vision, impacted equilibrium, etc.) than specifically on what happened to the helmet.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Entered.

Only thing to add - I entered what is currently my main cycling activity (by miles / hrs) which is plain road biking. As there could be only 1 choice.
But I'm someone who does other stuff (mountain biking) and of course Tri. I'd estimate my split is about

- 45% road rides (non competitive/ training rides, of which 4/5 will be road bike and 1/5 TT/tri bike, simply due to the nature of roads where I live)
- 35% mountain biking
- 15% commuting
- 5% riding during actual triathlons or occasional short TT

And so I will flip between 2 or 3 helmets depending on what doing (+ a 4th helmet of a full face DH helmet when mountain biking in the Alps)
Quote Reply
Re: PARTICIPANTS WANTED- Helmet study online survey [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Done.

Regarding the questions on seeking medical attention post-crash, it depends more on my condition (headache, blurred vision, impacted equilibrium, etc.) than specifically on what happened to the helmet.

I have exactly this same perspective. Condition of the helmet might be among the factors to consider, but certainly not the most important factor. Any damage to the helmet represents damage that did NOT happen to the inhabitant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jack,

Completed the survey.

A comment from me; on question 16 (three main reasons for choosing a particular helmet) my feedback is that it depends on which helmet. For example, my priorities when choosing a helmet for general road riding are very different than when I'm choosing my race helmet for non-draft racing. For racing, it is all about aero. For general road riding I couldn't give a hoot about aerodynamics.

It might be useful to offer separate answers for different categories or state which case you are interested in.

All the best with the study.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done!
Quote Reply
Re: PARTICIPANTS WANTED- Helmet study online survey [Steve B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve B wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
Done.

I have exactly this same perspective. Condition of the helmet might be among the factors to consider, but certainly not the most important factor. Any damage to the helmet represents damage that did NOT happen to the inhabitant.

agreed- I answered neutral on the seeking medical attention, since it would depend on factors not mentioned in the poll..
Quote Reply
Re: PARTICIPANTS WANTED- Helmet study online survey [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironfan wrote:
For the question regarding reasons for deciding on a certain helmet, I think cost/price should be included as one of the options.

Good catch I filled out the survey after you and chose cost as my primary factor as a cheap bastard. Besides which I feel the CPSC 1203 certification makes all helmets relatively equal.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply