Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'oh shoot looks like I'm actually racing this year' - Front Hydration ideas for narrow pad setup?
Quote | Reply
Looking for some advice on a potential Front hydration setup. Link below is what I've got going on right now

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4z6DG1A18Lz9u3Gr9

Size 51 2018 P2 using Tririg Ergo Cups with a 3T Aura Pro Base Bar. I'm a smaller guy so having the pads where they're at now is comfortable and I want to maintain this position

There's about a 5 cm gap between the extensions

10.5 cm from the bottom of the stem to the tire

Roughly 20 cm of length from the front edge of pads to the shifters

Does anyone know if I'd be able to fit an Aeria hydration bottle with this? Even if it takes some jerry rigging it seems like a decent option in terms of aero given I already have a PD stem. I've tried a Torhans Aero 30 but it was tilted upwards due to the angle of the extensions. I'm also considering a speedfil system, if I can squeeze it in, since it'd be difficult to fit the Bolt AND a normal bottle/cage

Any other suggestions? Thanks everyone

Dominic Pollizzi

Last edited by: zestypollizzi: Apr 14, 21 22:27
Quote Reply
Re: 'oh shoot looks like I'm actually racing this year' - Front Hydration ideas for narrow pad setup? [zestypollizzi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea if what you are proposing would work, but an alternative idea is to put a regular bottle under the aero bars.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: 'oh shoot looks like I'm actually racing this year' - Front Hydration ideas for narrow pad setup? [zestypollizzi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the aeria hydration unit looks as though it will mount to your set up (i have a similar narrow set up on my rig). However the issue I ran into was refilling the bottle... i have trouble fitting any standard bottle top between the bars and down enough to get the spout into the refill cap...

my only solution was to widen the extension bars and narrow the arm cups with custom spacers.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an x- lab hydroblade, that wedges between my aero bars almost perfectly. I originally used the mount it came with, but the velcro straps sucked and slipped and finally broke, and I gave up on it. When I decided to move my bars as close together as I could get them, I found that the hydroblade wedged nicely in between them, and even snapped in place, almost like it was designed to do that. I’ve been running it like that ever since.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took a Torhans AeroZ and put a Garmin 1/4 turn on the bottom. You could move the Garmin mount back and do the same where the bottle locks onto the mount.
Quote Reply
Re: 'oh shoot looks like I'm actually racing this year' - Front Hydration ideas for narrow pad setup? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
No idea if what you are proposing would work, but an alternative idea is to put a regular bottle under the aero bars.

I was thinking of that as a last resort. I have not found any actual aero testing data but it seems that putting the bottle under the extensions would be much more of an aero penalty since the arms are not shielding the bottle

Dominic Pollizzi

Quote Reply
Re: 'oh shoot looks like I'm actually racing this year' - Front Hydration ideas for narrow pad setup? [Hiphophopper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it but yeah, that price stings a bit. Wonder what it would take to come up with some kind of riser on my own

Dominic Pollizzi

Last edited by: zestypollizzi: Apr 15, 21 10:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One option is a stem-based cage behind your elbows:

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tunnel tested the bottle under the aerobars on Aura in 2010. There was no penalty for doing so at zero yaw

If you want to make your bike faster, that's where the HSF Aeria comes in.

You can see on the bottom one I cut away some of the top cover to fit between narrower brackets

Which seems to allow enough room to get close enough to the stem to use the faceplate.

In your case it wouldn't matter if you cut off the part that goes over the stem entirely as you wouldn't be using that magnet. You would attach the satellite magnet to your extensions.
So overall it looks fairly promising that you could make it work, but in the process you would hack up the bottle so much that it would be worthless to anyone else and unable to be returned.
Any modification is at your own risk and not recommended by Profile Design.
Quote Reply
Re: 'oh shoot looks like I'm actually racing this year' - Front Hydration ideas for narrow pad setup? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks for the insight! This was exactly what I was looking to find out. I ordered the Aeria bottle and accompanying faceplate last night. I don't mind making the modifications if there's a solid chance I can make it work

Also nice to see that the regular bottle under the bars wouldn't be much of an aero penalty as a last resort option

Dominic Pollizzi

Quote Reply