Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do these thingies improve shift performance?
Quote | Reply
I need to replace the shifter cables on my 8020 shifters. One of the Shimano sealed cable housing end cap thingies is destroyed. Do I need or want to replace it with the same part? Or can I just use a regular old cable end cap? Does the Shimano thingy actual improve performance? A photo of the Shimano thingy:

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Re: Do these thingies improve shift performance? [Sparks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A regular end cap will be fine, and often times leads to slightly improved shifting. The sealed ones are just designed to help keep dirt/debris out if you are riding in poor conditions so may be preferable, depending on your circumstances . Certainly not required though.
Quote Reply
Re: Do these thingies improve shift performance? [Sparks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a moisture seal. Without it, you get rained on, the water seeps into the cable, settles, rusts, and especially if you don't ride for awhile, the cable can seize. Then you go to shift, and the cable breaks off inside the shifter. It doesn't increase performance, but does prevent decrease in performance, if moisture and grime get in the cable/housing.

In the old days, we just greased the cables to prevent this. Now a days, with coated cables/casing etc...etc... I don't know if they are even needed, but certainly can't hurt, especially in wet muddy conditions. I personally don't screw with them, and don't have any left on my bikes, but I'm still old school, and still grease my cables.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Apr 14, 21 15:18
Quote Reply
Re: Do these thingies improve shift performance? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
A regular end cap will be fine, and often times leads to slightly improved shifting. The sealed ones are just designed to help keep dirt/debris out if you are riding in poor conditions so may be preferable, depending on your circumstances . Certainly not required though.

Thanks! I'm definitely a fair weather rider, so a regular end cap should suit my needs (and will be much easier to source locally).

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply