Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMCDA 2021 course maps posted
Quote | Reply
I did IMCDA in 2005, doing it again this year (hopefully).

New bike course from 2005, but I think this was the course the last time the event took place. Run looks like parts of the old route, but now three loops instead of two.

Has anyone done the bike course in previous years? Some hills, but doesn't look crazy. Comments?

Run course looks rolling, but all pavement? Shade? Anyone done this one?

Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA 2021 course maps posted [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done the full many times, the bike course looks to be the same as the last one(the third version). Hills, definitely but not bad at all. Most of it is an out and back on the highway that they have narrowed for the race.
The run is all pavement, not much shade, with the three loops you don’t have the steep hill before the turnaround anymore.
I still like the version of the course best(as in 2005) with the laps on the greyhound track, but the Post Falls Area has grown too much to allow that anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the full on this course in 2017 and the half in 2017 and 2019. The run and bike courses have been in their current iteration since 2016 (maybe earlier). I’ve also lived here for a little over 5 years fwiw.

Bike Course:
The first ~20 miles (of each loop) is an out-and-back to Higgins Point which was similar to the course you did. A few miles of turns going through downtown and then onto Couer d’Alene Lake Drive which just got fresh pavement <2 years ago. Just really the one short hill (Bennet Bay) which causes people to get out of aero. After this you head south on US-95. Pavement is not quite as smooth as CDA lake drive, bit is in pretty good condition. They shut down half of the highway for the race (so one lane width each way for the race) save for a couple spots where the road is only two lanes instead of four. One section is the bridge which is a no pass section. The other is a the north side of Micah Hill where on the return trip cyclists going down the hill back into town will be on a (wide and swept) shoulder. This is also a no pass zone. As for hills on the US-95 section…Mica Hill is the main one. About a 1.5-2 mile climb with a consistent 6% grade on each side. I would say that a majority of racers get out of aero on this section. When you are south-bound after, going up and down Mica you will then face a long but gentle rolling-ish type climb until the turn around. Overall the return trip (north bound) on 95 is a bit faster than on the way out.

Run Course:
The switch from the two loop to the three loop is since if you have family or friends with you as they can hang out at McEuen Park and potentially see you 6 times on the run while also being close to shops, food, ice cream etc. By having shorter loops, it cuts out the Bennett Bay hill, which was the biggest hill on the run. There is some shade on the run (I could go into detail where if you want), but depending on the time of day expect to be out in a sun for long stretches when you are running along the lake. But the views will be good! It is all pavement, most of which is on a pedestrian/bike trial. Finish is down the main street downtown (Sherman Avenue) like before, but you cut over to Sherman a few blocks later than before to accommodate for more time going around McEuen Park

Happy to answer any questions

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA 2021 course maps posted [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That paints a very good picture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the details!

1)Should we expect around 80F on the run? I know there was over 100F in 2015, but is there a chance to have clouds and less than 70F?
2)Any advice on must-see places nearby after the race? I love nature, so if we're racing in St. George, there's Zion, Bryce, Arches parks afterwards, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA 2021 course maps posted [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel confident in saying that it will be somewhere between 60 and 100 degrees during the run. That said, the last couple years the high in late June has been in in the low to mid-70's.

There are a number of good hiking trails around town....but probably not something that is appetizing for many people following an IM. But I can list some if you'd like as there are a number of different pockets around Spokane and CDA that you can explore.
  • Sandpoint is a 45 minute drive from CDA. It's a nice small town with nice mountain views along the lake and a nice city beach. You can also drive up the mountain to the ski resort (Schweitzer) which has a number of summer activities.
  • Farragut Park is between the two and has some nice spots to explore.
  • My wife and I like kayaking all the lakes around here. Lake CDA has some good spot, but I think Hayden and Pend Oreille are a little prettier and have more calm areas to paddle around (I personally like Ildewilde Bay which is in Farragut State Park)
  • Downtown Spokane has some nice walking trails along the river and some bridges that go over the falls. Just north of there is Riverside State Park which has some nice easier trails to walk. The Bowl and Pitcher area is kind of cool as is Deep Creek Canyon.
  • Further driving away (in different directions) from the area can get you to Palouse Falls State Park, Hells Gate State Park, and Priest Lake which are all popular day trip or weekend destinations for locals.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also raced in 2005, and have lived in Cd'A since 2013 - volunteering at several of the races since then and otherwise becoming acquainted with the various courses offered. I'll be racing again this year - the first time I'll wake up in my own bed before heading out for an IM!

The bike course posted is the same one that has been in effect since (at least 2013 - it's the 3rd version). I think this is the easiest of the courses, BUT, there are a few good hills (Bennett Bay Hill on the first out-and-back section, the Mica Grade just after leaving town on the long/second out-and-back, then another good climb up to the second turn-around). I think it is also the least scenic of all the courses, and by far the worst to ride in training (I do not recommend riding US 95 when it is open to traffic - between the logging/pulp trucks, rumble strips, and debris, it is a mess).

The run is certainly easier - they cut out Bennett Bay Hill and made up for the distance with a 3rd loop (as mentioned, it does divert through the new downtown park now, but otherwise it's essentially the same as 2005). There is a lot of exposure, but it is very scenic along the lake. I found the residential park disorienting when I raced (before I lived here), as there are a bunch of turns and it always seems like you should be 'almost there', but you aren't. But I also didn't have a GPS watch at the time.

As for the temps - I've witnessed races from 50 and windy/rainy to 100+ and full sun. Welcome to Spring in the Inland Northwest! On average though, I would expect cool temps in the morning (40s) rising to the 70s for the bike/run. If you're out after the sun, expect it to cool down significantly.

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the run special needs is at mile 9? or 18 if you take it after the second lap? That's a new one for me. I'm used to seeing it right around halfway +/- maybe 0.75 miles. Also really hoping they get back to aid stations every mile. I did IM Florida in November where they were every 2 miles and that starts to be a bit of a stretch around 14 miles or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist, mckenzie, thanks a lot! Very helpful.
Looking forward to this awesome race in a beautiful location.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA 2021 course maps posted [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the race 5 times total and 4 on this course and grew up in CDA. Very good description above, but I can add a few more details. It can get windy on the way out on 95, especially on the second lap. The way back always seems to be faster. 95 is very exposed, so if its hot (like I suffered though in 2015), this can be tough. Stay hydrated. Also, I see way too many people trying to be heros on the climbs on 95 (especially Mica Hill). Spin to win and use the climbs to stretch your back and watch people kill themselves that you'll pass on the run later. Also, be aware of the false flats on 95 after the first climb. You'll notice them more on the second loop.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA 2021 course maps posted [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The website claims the bike course has about 7000 total feet of climbing. Does that sound right to everyone that's familiar with it?
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA 2021 course maps posted [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having done the 70.3 multiple times (and the old dog track course back in 2006 in the100 degree blast furnace), I can say that according to my powermeter, this course has around 2600 per lap, so 5200 feet give or take. In no way does it have 7,000 feet of climbing. It's on par with Lake Placid, but a bit easier with no hill in the last 10 miles.
Last edited by: hbog12: Apr 15, 21 17:08
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA 2021 course maps posted [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looked at my ride files from previous years

Half IM using Garmin Edge 810 = 55.98 miles, 3221 feet
FULL IM using Garmin Edge 810 = 111.73 miles, 6191 feet
Half IM using Wahoo Bolt = 55.9 miles, 2690 feet

Looking through a number of athletes Strava files the average seems to be in the 2700-3000 feet per lap so a total of 5500-6000 feet of climbing. But other than going up Mica, nome of the climbs are to bad. It’s just some slight elevation that just adds up. As some people have mentioned above, the way back into town from the turnaround is downhill for pretty much everything except going up Mica. So your legs have some chance to recover a little before the run

Here is a link to Sam Appleton’s ride from half in 2019:
https://www.strava.com/.../2499677550/overview

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Apr 15, 21 18:46
Quote Reply