Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pacific Crest moving to Long Beach WA
Quote | Reply
I just got an email from Why Racing saying "Pacific Crest Triathlon is going to the Pacific Ocean" - Long Beach WA specifically. Why Racing acquired all the events that used to be run by AA sports which included Pacific Crest. It was held for decades in Sunriver OR. The weekend included a 1/2 ironman and olympic triathlon.

When it says "going to the ocean", does that mean the swim will be an ocean swim? I doubt it, but I'm not familiar with the Long Beach area to know if a lake is available.
Quote Reply
Re: Pacific Crest moving to Long Beach WA [triman140] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you look at Long Beach, WA on a map?
It's on the Pacific just north of the Columbia River mouth.
I'd count on a salty swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Pacific Crest moving to Long Beach WA [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I know that Long Beach is a peninsula surrounded by saltwater ocean and saltwater bay. The reason I am skeptical of an ocean swim is that water is very cold !! I think 50 degrees is normal. Swimming on the ocean side will also mean dealing with surf. I’ll wager not many NW triathletes are experienced open water ocean swimmers. The safety and logistic issues seem formidable - not insurmountable, but considerable. Obviously, the bay mitigates the surf issue which certainly helps. Looking at the map, I did not see any nearby lakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh that's odd. I've been to Long Beach many a time. Its one claim to fame is that it's 25 miles long and driving on the beach is allowed. It's pretty neat to visit but an awkward location for a tri. If anyone is familiar with Cocoa beach in FL that's what it's like just a lot colder. From the ocean inland: wet sand, deep dry sand, bluffs covered in vegetation, condos and hotels, road. It'd be a pretty choppy swim on the best of days. Surf is rare due to shallow shore but it can happen. Loooong shallow to run across to get out of the water and to the beach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty familiar with Long Beach and the surrounding area. It looks like the triathlons will start at Ilwaco High School. There is a lake right behind the school, so that must be where the swimming will take place.

Quote Reply
Re: Pacific Crest moving to Long Beach WA [Ben.SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right. The events aren’t really in Long Beach and aren’t really at the ocean. They are at Ilwaco. Thanks for info!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem! It'd be nice if they'd post something verifying that the swim is in that lake and giving some info on the bike and run courses!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben.SBR wrote:
I'm pretty familiar with Long Beach and the surrounding area. It looks like the triathlons will start at Ilwaco High School. There is a lake right behind the school, so that must be where the swimming will take place.

Thanks. That makes much more sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben.SBR wrote:

I assume you are referring to Black Lake. A few years ago, I did a small local sprint tri there (the Cape D tri). That lake seemed barely big enough for sprint distance. Had to climb up one ladder onto pier to get out. Not sure how that would work for longer/larger event. Also, if they route the bike by Cape Disappointment, there will be a bit of climb on it.
Quote Reply