Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Carrying a flat tire/puncture kit while racing [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Just to add to what others have said, at full Ironman distance I also put a spare C02 and tube in my bike special needs bag, in case I flat during the first half of the bike, can grab the spares to have for the second half.

That's quite a good idea! I haven't read that anywhere previously. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying a flat tire/puncture kit while racing [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do the same thing. In 11 years, I have only even needed to use it once luckily - however that one time, I was 5 miles past bike SN. DOH

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying a flat tire/puncture kit while racing [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke a chain while going up a climb during my last 100 mile training ride for my first Ironman many years ago. I was about 40 miles from my car at the time, but luckily I had a mini chain breaker and a small 5 link section of chain with me in my repair kit so I was able to repair it in about 3 minutes and be on my way. Point being, ride prepared, the weight of a repair kit is insignificant in the grand scheme unless you are doing something like Alpe d'Huez. I know I'm in the minority when it comes to being prepared for a chain break, but that scared me enough that I always keep a repair kit on my bike, and when it comes to Ironman, I paid way too much money to DNF due to a mechanical that I could have fixed in 5 minutes with my kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying a flat tire/puncture kit while racing [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always carry a spare (tube, CO2 pump, tyre levers) if the walk from the furthest point on the bike course to T1/T2 would be more than an hour.

Which is - almost every time.

If I race without, it's not because I'm concerned about weight. It's more about space on the bike. I can stuff the tube and levers under the saddle, but the CO2 pump has to go somewhere - typically in my gel bag, which I would otherwise be using exclusively for nutrition or ditching altogether.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Apr 14, 21 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:
saving the weight and not racing with it?

The weight? Seriously? You're talking about a kit that shouldn't weigh more than 1lb and that's part of a bike and rider combo that weighs 100 - 200lbs (sorry, have no clue how big you are). Dropping 1 lb isn't gonna make any difference aside from maybe a miniscule aero penalty if your kit isn't hidden well.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying a flat tire/puncture kit while racing [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve given a tube, levers and a cartridge to a pro with a flat half way out on a sprint course. They seemed pretty happy to have a way to get back. I figured I’d have to be pretty unlucky to flat too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last weekend, i got a flat. Pulled over on side of highway and realized i forgot my multi tool and couldn’t remove my front wheel to change it

So frustrating to not have tools to change your own tire and have to call for a ride home / sit around and wait. Just a careless mistake

Don’t willingly do it to yourself! It’s not enough weight to matter

Unless I’m doing a 40k TT, I always carry flat kit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Just to add to what others have said, at full Ironman distance I also put a spare C02 and tube in my bike special needs bag, in case I flat during the first half of the bike, can grab the spares to have for the second half.

That's quite a good idea! I haven't read that anywhere previously. Thanks.

Been doing that since 2005 too. Never needed it in a race but always felt better having that there. I had a mate that had 3 punctures in an IM and so could have benefitted. I also carry a rear brake and rear shift cable in a bottle shaped tool carrier that is behind the seat, with the lid taped on with abut 2 foot of insulating tape. Between that, the mutlitool and my knowledge, it's only a catastrophic frame failure that's left as an excuse for not finishing.

My worst ever race was my last half ironman. Had 3 tubes blowout in transition on the morning pre race and then a puncture at the half way point. My stress levels would have been a lot higher if I wasn't an overpacker*

*overpacker - the triathlon equivalent of a 'prepper' who packs entire content of garage and entire sporting wardrobe, coupled with those 2 shelves of sports nutrition from the pantry and the last 12 years worth of race waterbottles into the car for every race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get the occasional puncture and I'd put in a new tube with my CO2 etc. during a race. It never cost me more than 2-3min. But I've been running tubeless now for the last 2 (if you count 2020 as a "season") seasons and I have yet to flat. I did carry a tube with me but honestly my tires are damn near impossible to get on without a bead jack. I'm debating on ditching the tube for races and just taking plugs and CO2 with me.

The one thing though that I'm not super excited about is that tubeless has not allowed me to get much "practice" fixing issues on the road so I really don't know what I'd do during a race. For that reason alone I'm thinking of going back to latex tubes and normal clinchers for a race, then tubeless during my training when it doesn't matter as much and can always dial up the wife if something happens that doesn't allow me to limp back home.

So for those of you with a tubeless setup, what are you doing for a race and have you been able to get much practice with your roadside tire repairs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always carry a flat kit, training and racing. I've never had to use it for myself in a race, but as I'm in the slow end of the race, I have on several occasions used it to assist another competitor.

As to people saying they don't need it for a sprint, I guess those people have never tried walking 5 miles in bike shoes. Or they're willing to wait for the sag wagon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the excellent advice. If I read the replies correctly, there is a unanimus view that it is smart to carry repair kit during middle and long course tris. For short/sprint distance there are some differing views.

Thinking about the reasons offered for carrying a repair kit during a race, I am convinced. For me, the two most compelling reasons are: (1) the weight of the repair kit really isn't that much; and (2) finishing the race, even with an additional X minutes to repair a puncture, is better than a DNF and having to sit around waiting for the sag/sweep (or walk in cycling shoes) back to the start.

Given the above, here is what I carry in my training repair kit; it comes in a 528 grams / 18.6 ounces (couple of pictures below):
  • Custom Bike Xcessories aero storage box (79 grams)
  • Lezyne multi-tool (62 grams)
  • Tube with correct valve length (107 grams)
  • Lezyne CO2 valve (24 grams)
  • CO2 cartridges (2) (123 grams)
  • Patch kit (25g)
  • Tire levers (3) (40 grams)
  • Spare SRAM and CR2032 batteries (32 grams)
  • Small cleaning rag (36 grams)

For racing, I would remove the aero storage box and carry the following under the seat (239 grams / 8.5 ounces):
  • Tube with correct valve length (107 grams)
  • Lenzye CO2 valve (24 grams)
  • CO2 cartridge (1) (62 grams)
  • Tire levers (2) (28 grams)
  • Hex wrench to remove thru bolts (18 grams)

As a few people suggested, I would also put a spare tube and CO2 cartridge in my special needs bag if doing a long distance tri. Also, a couple of people recommended carrying a chain breaker and quick link.....not so sure about this.

Any thoughts on the above??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just came here to add. Put some rubber gloves in your flat kits people. Unless you want to change a rear tire and have lube on your hands to make that perfect pairing with your next gel or clif blok.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying a flat tire/puncture kit while racing [chetatkinsdiet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chetatkinsdiet wrote:
Just came here to add. Put some rubber gloves in your flat kits people. Unless you want to change a rear tire and have lube on your hands to make that perfect pairing with your next gel or clif blok.

Or wax your chain :)
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying a flat tire/puncture kit while racing [chetatkinsdiet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just came here to add. Put some rubber gloves in your flat kits people.
---
Put on gloves to change a tire? Ain't nobody got time for that.gif. There's the grass and I'm pretty sure that's the main reason most cycling shorts are black.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next