Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How fast will Choo 70.3 swim be this year?
Quote | Reply
Received an email from race today. Among changes this year, they state the swim will only be downriver this year... no upstream bit.

So... sub 15 min swims?
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will Choo 70.3 swim be this year? [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman is becoming the Revel Racing of triathlon.

Looks like I may finally be sub 26min for a half swim again!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'll be fast, if they have the race . . . they also admitted to not having permits and offered a no-hassle deferral to next year, which I take as an indication they are trying to reduce the field size [to improve their chances of getting the permits]. I didn't have the possibility of this race not happening on my radar, but have become concerned.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like what they did in 2017 when the current was "too strong to swim against" and they did the down river section only. Fastest AG swim was 13:25!

https://www.obstri.com/?race=chattanooga70.3&year=2017&div=ALL-AG

I didn't get the email, but I thought they were changing the course, but keeping it roughly 1.2 miles from the up-river/down-river setup. If that's the case, baseline against Augusta where the bag of Doritos made the swim cutoff.

Edit: looking the ironman website: "Athletes will enter the water in a rolling start and head straight down the river for a 1.4 mile stretch before exiting at the beautiful Ross’s Landing Park." so not at all like 2017.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will Choo 70.3 swim be this year? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as you can swim close to 2500 yards in under 26 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will Choo 70.3 swim be this year? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
It'll be fast, if they have the race . . . they also admitted to not having permits and offered a no-hassle deferral to next year, which I take as an indication they are trying to reduce the field size [to improve their chances of getting the permits]. I didn't have the possibility of this race not happening on my radar, but have become concerned.

Eric, if it helps at all they're basically allowing deferrals to every 70.3 race that is scheduled through July. Not necessarily Chatt 70.3 specific in that regard. Although not having permits a month out is concerning.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto above... My average-ish AG swim was 18 minutes in Chattanooga 2017. My typical wetsuit swim was around 32 minutes back then, IIRC.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will Choo 70.3 swim be this year? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Eric, if it helps at all they're basically allowing deferrals to every 70.3 race that is scheduled through July. Not necessarily Chatt 70.3 specific in that regard. Although not having permits a month out is concerning.

Did not realize that, thanks. Still feels like the event is definitely not a given at this point.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will Choo 70.3 swim be this year? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Where are you seeing that? They never mention deferrals unless the event is cancelled
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will Choo 70.3 swim be this year? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was in an email I received today:

Athlete Options

Despite our belief that we will be racing in May, we would like to outline what your athlete options will be in the case that our race date needs to change, as well as an option you have today should you not want to race in 2021, for any reason.

If the race is rescheduled to a later date in 2021:
• You will automatically be transferred to the new race date in 2021
• Alternatively, you can opt into another 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 race from a selection list provided at the time, subject to event availability*, or defer to the 2022 event

If the race cannot take place in 2021:
• Your registration will be deferred to the 2022 race date
• Alternatively, you can opt into another 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 race from a selection list provided at the time, subject to event availability*

*Note: we are working on the addition of event locations in 2021 so if your event is impacted, further inventory for you to race in 2021 is available

If you don’t feel comfortable racing in 2021…

In addition, if at any time you don’t feel comfortable racing, you can choose to defer your race until the next edition, in 2022. You can do so by completing the details via the link, here. Please note this option is for those who do not wish to race in 2021 under any circumstance as the selection is final. Once you elect to defer to 2022 you will not be eligible for additional options offered should your race be rescheduled at a later time. Please complete the link by 4/23/2021.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering if this is in response to concerns recently raised by many athletes about the lack of transparency. I'm thinking optimistically that they are laying out all the scenarios in response to past criticism about a lack of communication, and not because of a sense that the race may not happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t personally have inside knowledge. But have spoken to a couple people who do. They seem optimistic about this race happening. We’ll see, I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will Choo 70.3 swim be this year? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing this race and I'm that guy who destroys the race.
These will happen: Cancelled, rain or storm coming, not so fast swim, freaking cold water or weather.
Yeah, 42 degree at Waco 70.3, snow in Galveston, storm in Galveston, fog in Austin 70.3, record hot in Augusta 70.3... that would be me.
So I don't have high expectations for Chattanooga 70.3 as usual.
Shit always happens for me.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast will Choo 70.3 swim be this year? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I'm doing this race and I'm that guy who destroys the race.
These will happen: Cancelled, rain or storm coming, not so fast swim, freaking cold water or weather.
Yeah, 42 degree at Waco 70.3, snow in Galveston, storm in Galveston, fog in Austin 70.3, record hot in Augusta 70.3... that would be me.
So I don't have high expectations for Chattanooga 70.3 as usual.
Shit always happens for me.

If it's 42deg and/or snowing then I'm sleeping in and catching an early flight home.

BTW, what is expected water temp? For some reason I had in my head this may even be a wetsuit race, but I don't know where that came from.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I expect it to be wetsuit legal. I just put together a presentation for the executive team and had to pull historical water temps. From 2015 to 2019 the water temp was 71.9, 73.7, 73.4, 74.1 and 72.0. Nothing unusual going on this year so my money is on legal. Its always been close for pros but never an issue for AG. Brian
Quote Reply