Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Form Goggles - Anyone raced in them? [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My two cents - I got the goggles as I thought they would be useful to pace me in racing. I think they are useless for that purpose, but discovered they are extremely helpful for other ends. In open water, getting an average pace over the entire swim is useless in my view, as noted by others the pace starts too slow (usually it gives me readings of over 3min/100 for the first few minutes), and even if it takes 5 minutes for the pace to settle, those are typically the first 5 minutes when some people tend to go out too fast. HR is not accurate either as it comes from the wrist rather than the chest strap as the strap does not communicate data to the watch while you are swimming. Given that the FORM goggles restrict your vision somewhat (and I have to wear the watch on the wrong side as I am a right-side breather), I won't use them in races.

As for the pool, they are extremely useful as you get real time feedback on pace and stroke rate, among other things. So in my case I was able to discover that if I lift my stroke rate from 60 to 70, my pace becomes considerably faster. I know that in theory you can do that with a tempo trainer, but this is a lot more immediate. Likewise, you can easily implement interval sets (say 10x100m leaving on 1'45) without going crazy trying to remember where the pace clock was when you started the last interval (somehow after the first 5-6 intervals I always forget! and likewise I forget whether this is the 7th or 8th interval lol). they are also helpful if you train in open water as you can finally implement sets like 3min hard 1min easy x 4 without having to stop and look at your wrist to check how much time has gone by. This sounds stupidly simple, but is priceless.

in theory if you use the goggles only mode in OW you can get stroke rate and total time (why stroke rate is not available in GPS mode is beyond me), but again you can also wear a tempo trainer in a race (completely legal) to tell you for example to keep a 70 stroke rate, and enjoy the better field of vision of normal goggles. So bottom line I think they are useless for racing, very useful for everything else. Too bad I upgraded my Garmin as I wanted to use the goggles for racing, and I certainly wasted some money (you do get spotify on the 745 though! ha)
Quote Reply
Re: Form Goggles - Anyone raced in them? [Olu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Olu wrote:
zedzded wrote:
I've never heard anecdotally anyone saying their watches are accurate with OWS pace.

Most of my swim open water swim paces are accurate. I've gone through wearing two watches with one and the wrist and the other on the wrist, under the cap, or on a swim buoy. In comparison they've never been more than 1 at most 2 seconds per 100yds difference.

And you don't work for Garmin?
Quote Reply
Re: Form Goggles - Anyone raced in them? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Olu wrote:
zedzded wrote:
I've never heard anecdotally anyone saying their watches are accurate with OWS pace.

Most of my swim open water swim paces are accurate. I've gone through wearing two watches with one and the wrist and the other on the wrist, under the cap, or on a swim buoy. In comparison they've never been more than 1 at most 2 seconds per 100yds difference.

Uh, no, I'm a physician.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olu wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Olu wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Uh, no, I'm a physician.

You're not sponsored by Garmin?
Quote Reply
Re: Form Goggles - Anyone raced in them? [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ItaloBritt wrote:
My two cents - I got the goggles as I thought they would be useful to pace me in racing. I think they are useless for that purpose, but discovered they are extremely helpful for other ends. In open water, getting an average pace over the entire swim is useless in my view, as noted by others the pace starts too slow (usually it gives me readings of over 3min/100 for the first few minutes), and even if it takes 5 minutes for the pace to settle, those are typically the first 5 minutes when some people tend to go out too fast. HR is not accurate either as it comes from the wrist rather than the chest strap as the strap does not communicate data to the watch while you are swimming. Given that the FORM goggles restrict your vision somewhat (and I have to wear the watch on the wrong side as I am a right-side breather), I won't use them in races.

As for the pool, they are extremely useful as you get real time feedback on pace and stroke rate, among other things. So in my case I was able to discover that if I lift my stroke rate from 60 to 70, my pace becomes considerably faster. I know that in theory you can do that with a tempo trainer, but this is a lot more immediate. Likewise, you can easily implement interval sets (say 10x100m leaving on 1'45) without going crazy trying to remember where the pace clock was when you started the last interval (somehow after the first 5-6 intervals I always forget! and likewise I forget whether this is the 7th or 8th interval lol). they are also helpful if you train in open water as you can finally implement sets like 3min hard 1min easy x 4 without having to stop and look at your wrist to check how much time has gone by. This sounds stupidly simple, but is priceless.

in theory if you use the goggles only mode in OW you can get stroke rate and total time (why stroke rate is not available in GPS mode is beyond me), but again you can also wear a tempo trainer in a race (completely legal) to tell you for example to keep a 70 stroke rate, and enjoy the better field of vision of normal goggles. So bottom line I think they are useless for racing, very useful for everything else. Too bad I upgraded my Garmin as I wanted to use the goggles for racing, and I certainly wasted some money (you do get spotify on the 745 though! ha)

Like anything, if you practice with it you learn what to expect. Each person should make their own judgement, but I found them VERY useful during the half ironman and would find it even more helpful during an Ironman swim. I used the goggles for all my open water swims, so I got very comfortable with the time it takes for the watch to calculate your average pace. 5 minutes is a pretty small percentage of time in a long distance swim and I find it hard to believe that someone could blow their 4-12 hour race in the 1st 5 minutes.
I never suffered from limited field of vision as I never found different goggles to help me site better in open water. Maybe it's because I swam in college, but I feel comfortable swimming with any type of goggles.

I will agree that the goggles are best with pool swimming. I won't swim without them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Olu wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Olu wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Uh, no, I'm a physician.

Uh, no. Why do you keep mentioning Garmin? We're talking about FORM goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olu wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Olu wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Olu wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Uh, no, I'm a physician.

Uh, no. Why do you keep mentioning Garmin? We're talking about FORM goggles.

Don't they need a GPS watch in order to provide the relevant data? What watch have you got?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Don't they need a GPS watch in order to provide the relevant data? What watch have you got?

I use a Garmin Fenix 6 Pro, so what's your point, other than being obnoxious?

In fact I use the Fenix 6 Pro, an Edge 1000, and Garmin Varia radar and display.
I like most of my Garmin products, but have hated some as well. The most recent being the Edge 1030 plus that I returned after 1 day of use.

So yes I, like many other triathletes use, Garmin products (I'm not sponsored or employed by Garmin)
I also used Strava's Flyby activity to check other triathlete swims and to link to their activities in STRAVA (I'm not sponsored or employed by Strava)
I also use FORM goggles and absolutely love them (I'm not sponsored or employed by FORM)
I ride a Quintanaroo PRSix (I'm not sponsored or employed by Quintanaroo)
I wear a Zone 3 wet suit...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olu wrote:
zedzded wrote:

I use a Garmin Fenix 6 Pro, so what's your point, other than being obnoxious?

In fact I use the Fenix 6 Pro, an Edge 1000, and Garmin Varia radar and display.
I like most of my Garmin products, but have hated some as well. The most recent being the Edge 1030 plus that I returned after 1 day of use.

So yes I, like many other triathletes use, Garmin products (I'm not sponsored or employed by Garmin)
I also used Strava's Flyby activity to check other triathlete swims and to link to their activities in STRAVA (I'm not sponsored or employed by Strava)
I also use FORM goggles and absolutely love them (I'm not sponsored or employed by FORM)
I ride a Quintanaroo PRSix (I'm not sponsored or employed by Quintanaroo)
I wear a Zone 3 wet suit...

Sorry, I was being a bit obnoxious! All good :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next