Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Retrieving a dropped part inside bike frame
Quote | Reply
Title describes issue. Dropped the wedge inside the bike frame and I can't get it out. Can't hear or see it for that matter.(it's a three piece unit to keep seat tight, two pieces that screw together for tightening and the little plastic "V" shaped spacer/ wedge). I think it moved up near the head set based on last sound I heard.

Wondering if anyone has had experience with this? Hopefully I'm not the only one with gorilla fingers.

Should I take to LBS and have them handle? If I, or LBS can't retrieve should I just get a replacement and let other part live inside. If so, could that cause damage? It's carbon frame so I don't want to be too harsh in trying to extract and obviously (since I couldn't competently put my seat back together) I am not much of a bike mechanic.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Retrieving a dropped part inside bike frame [expat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
expat wrote:
Title describes issue. Dropped the wedge inside the bike frame and I can't get it out. Can't hear or see it for that matter.(it's a three piece unit to keep seat tight, two pieces that screw together for tightening and the little plastic "V" shaped spacer/ wedge). I think it moved up near the head set based on last sound I heard.

Wondering if anyone has had experience with this? Hopefully I'm not the only one with gorilla fingers.

Should I take to LBS and have them handle? If I, or LBS can't retrieve should I just get a replacement and let other part live inside. If so, could that cause damage? It's carbon frame so I don't want to be too harsh in trying to extract and obviously (since I couldn't competently put my seat back together) I am not much of a bike mechanic.

Thanks

pull the crankset and/or fork out. The BB shell is sometimes open, the head tube usually is.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have done this several times. Cervelo?

I had success with lots of bouncing and shaking but the worst instance did require a mechanic to basically disassemble the bike. It was at a race site and they were dealing with the same issue for a few athletes so I don't think it's anything a skilled mechanic will be too surprised by.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flip bike upside down. Shake vigorously
Quote Reply