Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

supersix pf30
Quote | Reply
An hour of reading conflicting posts, I'm hoping to get a definite yes or no here. I have a 2014/15 cannondale supersix evo (SRAM). BB30 printed on the frame but definitely pf30 setup.

Only one side needs replacing. There looks to be small cups the bearings go into, with no inner sleeve - at least doesn't look like it. When I look through, I can see around 2 or so mm of the bearing edge and wondering if these can be knocked out (using the correct tool), or will the cup have to come out also? And if so, would the cup need replacing or can I simply put the new 6806RS bearing inside the old cup and press back into the frame (i have the tool for this).

I'm just super concerned the cups are fixed and could damage my frame trying to remove them

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: supersix pf30 [chatlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pressfit is pressfit.
Quote Reply
Re: supersix pf30 [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well yes and no. Some are press fit directly into frames, others (like mine) are pushed into small cups that press into the frame. I need to confirm if these bearings can be pushed out without needing to also remove the cups and Im not even sure the cups are removable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chatlow wrote:
well yes and no. Some are press fit directly into frames, others (like mine) are pushed into small cups that press into the frame. I need to confirm if these bearings can be pushed out without needing to also remove the cups and Im not even sure the cups are removable

BB30 presses bearings directly into the frame.

Pressfit 30 presses bearings with cups into the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: supersix pf30 [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, that's exactly what i just posted. I've created this thread to try and confirm if the cups that Cannondale have used can be removed (i've heard some are fixed) and if they can be, do they have to be or can they stay in place when you replace the bearings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chatlow wrote:
yes, that's exactly what i just posted. I've created this thread to try and confirm if the cups that Cannondale have used can be removed (i've heard some are fixed) and if they can be, do they have to be or can they stay in place when you replace the bearings

Where did you hear that some of the bearing cups are fixed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been my experience with Cannondale PF30 and PF30a to replace the cups with the bearings. Yes, you may be able to get the bearings back into the cups straight but you also run the risk of damaging the cups when removing them.

My mountain bike is a PF30 with a BB30 crank. When I replaced the bearings, they were pressed in quite firmly in an aluminum cup, probably with some sort of adhesive. The PF30a I've worked on with a Slice had plastic cups that appeared to be deformed when taking them out. The 2013 BB30 Canondale Slice was straight up BB30 bearing pressed into the BB30 shell in the frame.

It appears that your 2014/15 cannondale supersix evo is a straight up PF30 capable of using a BB30 crank, which probably means it's a 68mm shell and removable cups. You will need a PF30 Bottom bracket. A call to Cannondale Experts can confirm this.
Last edited by: jaretj: Apr 13, 21 10:02
Quote Reply
Re: supersix pf30 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like its tricky to just replace one side. Will order a new PF30 then
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One side can be replaced 50% easier than two sides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Supersix owner here. Just email support@hambini.com. Might be worth a watch of his supersix video. Flapwheel grinder may be needed. Unless you like routinely replacing one side of your BB because it wears out faster than the other.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: supersix pf30 [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah geez found his vid

Seems in that frame, its 1 big bracket that stays in place and you press the bearings into it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's what he makes. But there are plenty of others on the market that fit. Mines a 2019 and the frame says BB30 on the down tube in big prominent letters. And yet... it's actually "PF30a"

Email hambini. Customer service is on point. No need to buy from him. I'd bet he'd tell you what yours is off the top of his head. If you do buy from him, his shipping time is surprisingly good for the USA. Pricey though.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: supersix pf30 [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate it dude, thanks for the info
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden Cannondales since CAAD days before carbon was a thing. If your after a good PF30 I have been using Wheels threaded bottom brackets for many years now. I find them great quality and with them screwing together eliminates any annoying creaks that you can get over time.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/pf30.html
Quote Reply
Re: supersix pf30 [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ta. So Hambini didn't disappoint - also confirmed pf30 (not a) and that you could likely punch out just the bearing (leaving the cup in place and more importantly in tact) so long as you're patient and have good aim as it's just the edge. Otherwise, I'm going to try this BB30 removal tool and hopefully remove the cup and try to push new 6806 bearing in afterwards. Failing that, new PF30

https://www.ebay.co.uk/...16ffe776a8%7Ciid%3A1
Last edited by: chatlow: Apr 14, 21 12:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take whatever Hambini says with a grain of salt
Last edited by: jaretj: Apr 16, 21 5:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I follow the SystemSix thread on FaceBook and just about everyone recommends the BBinfinite or Wheels Mfg thread together BBS. I have one in a BB386 frame and they are so much better than the stupid plastic cups.
Quote Reply
Re: supersix pf30 [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I follow the SystemSix thread on FaceBook and just about everyone recommends the BBinfinite or Wheels Mfg thread together BBS. I have one in a BB386 frame and they are so much better than the stupid plastic cups.

Isn’t bbinfinate the patent that Hambini ripped of? Would he not be allowed to sell in the US? I think he gets away with it in the UK because they didn’t file patent there.

As you say wheels manf or BB Infinite are solid US companies which provide the same solution.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: supersix pf30 [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I had to replace the pf30 entirely. With the supersix evo setup I was told it's very very tricky to just remove the bearing, and might affect the cup, so just replaced the lot

I've now got an FSA pf30. Question: the SRAM fp30 setup had bearing 'covers' that click into the cup, then an outer plastic cover, then a spacer on DS and adjustable pre-load spacer on NDS with my SRAM force crankset.

FSA only comes with 1 very thin cover (that doesn't click in, then 2 outer covers which are a bit thinner and a wavy washer - which I'm reading probably won't be used as I've got the adjustable pre-load on NDS. Can I / should I use the SRAM bearing covers instead and will it make a difference?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for anyone that's in a similar boat and reads this. I went with the new bits FSA supplied. Didn't use the SRAM bearing seals - just the outer caps. Also didn't use the wave washer or v thin supplied as it appears to be bb30a or with cranks that don't use a preload tensioner, which my force 22 do. SRAM docs online confirm. Seems solid enough and spinning freely :-)
Quote Reply