Prev Next
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoff14 wrote:
patf wrote:
spudone wrote:
patf wrote:
shoff14 wrote:
Does anyone have the vehicle camera from the start of lights on to when the rookie cop got out of his vehicle? Curious of the timeline.

I'm curious why they said it was Felony stop at about 1 min in.

This.

By why did he say that. Is there something we don't know yet? I would think if it was a felony stop police might come in with guns drawn.

There is another video that has the start of the rookie cop getting out of his car, he hardly hits the ground and is calling it a felony stop and draws his gun. I haven't seen anything that indicates that. If the guy drove for 10 minutes, then hey have your guns drawn. If the guy drove a minute at a reasonable speed, didn't pass any other well let gas stations as this one, well come on now rookie, you really screwed this up from the get go. Then Barney Fife comes roaring in with "lightning".

Correct. That kid (fresh out of academy?) is literary shaking, dear in the headlights look and behavior.
I would fear for my life too.
There are many of these Jünglings on the force that have no business policing.
Witness it around here too. They maybe smart and well adjusted, but may not be cut out for high stress, high emotional situations, even with all the best training.

And then senior shows up and without debrief shows the kid how it’s done.
Training and character testing on the job with citizens being the test subjects.

Goes ok most of the time, but now and then they make potentially grave and deadly mistakes (taser vs gun).
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 13, 21 10:38
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Odd that you want to reply to me (a clearly "wrong" poster on the interwebs), but you still don't want to hear what actual urban cops say about what goes on behind the scenes in their jobs ... like who gets promoted and who doesn't. But, no worries, not everyone can handle it. Because, I hear you, most everyone says "they're out" when shit gets real.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
shoff14 wrote:
patf wrote:
spudone wrote:
patf wrote:
shoff14 wrote:
Does anyone have the vehicle camera from the start of lights on to when the rookie cop got out of his vehicle? Curious of the timeline.

This.

By why did he say that. Is there something we don't know yet? I would think if it was a felony stop police might come in with guns drawn.

There is another video that has the start of the rookie cop getting out of his car, he hardly hits the ground and is calling it a felony stop and draws his gun. I haven't seen anything that indicates that. If the guy drove for 10 minutes, then hey have your guns drawn. If the guy drove a minute at a reasonable speed, didn't pass any other well let gas stations as this one, well come on now rookie, you really screwed this up from the get go. Then Barney Fife comes roaring in with "lightning".

Correct. That kid (fresh out of academy?) is literary shaking, dear in the headlights look and behavior.
Witness it around here too. They maybe smart and well adjusted, but may not be cut out for high stress, high emotional situations, even with all the best training.

Training and character testing on the job with citizens being the test subjects.

Goes ok most of the time, but now and then they make potentially grave and deadly mistakes (taser vs gun).

It seems hard to believe that the guy not immediately pulling over and driving to a well lit gas station would engender that sort of fear. I would think things of that sort would be somewhat routine.
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
windschatten wrote:
shoff14 wrote:
patf wrote:
spudone wrote:
patf wrote:
shoff14 wrote:

This.

It seems hard to believe that the guy not immediately pulling over and driving to a well lit gas station would engender that sort of fear. I would think things of that sort would be somewhat routine.

Oh, it certainly wasn’t fear alone (if, he wouldn’t have pulled him over).
But sure many other emotions caused by a high stress situation.

Not sure how it works, but from video it sure looked like his ‘supervisor/trainer‘, was keeping an eye on him (driving up in the unmarked BMW and being quickly on the scene....) .

Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 13, 21 11:17
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
Your point is that blacks can be justifiably terrified when the statistics seem to reveal enough bias. Can cops do the same?

Yes, they are allowed to be terrified when they see a black guy. But they aren't allowed to scream at him with a gun pointed at his face for a routine traffic stop.

Keep in mind, you're comparing a scared black man holding his hands out of a window and not reaching in side of his car for fear of getting shot, to two allegedly trained police officers pulling guns on him, screaming at him, threatening him, and macing him because they were scared of a black man in a military uniform with his hands stuck out of a window.

No. I didn't compare anything. I just put out a statistic.

And I wouldn't use that statistic to defend these cops. I think the cops were terrible, and suggested they should be disciplined or fired in an earlier post. I would use that statistic to argue that as I judge the cops (and I'm not a cop) so will I be judging the any other citizen (regardless of color).

Slowman writes that he's white so he can't say too much about what a black man might best do with respect to the police. He wishes to express that this is a data driven opinion because of his statistic about blacks being killed by cops. I'm just pointing out that it's not a data driven opinion anymore than someone telling you that you can't judge cops reactions to black people because of a statistic about cops killed by blacks. I think that's all baloney, and thought it would be obvious when people saw it applied to the police just as much as it applied to black americans.

In the end I'll keep from hypocrisy by moving away from identity politics for everyone, not by trying to get the cops included too.
Last edited by: SH: Apr 15, 21 15:34
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
IDK about jackass cops in VA

Nor I, but thought to dive in a bit given that policing in VA, and police reform nationally, is becoming more topical here in our LR.

First, having read this thread top to bottom I saw little input on context and detail. A wapo story provides

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...b14aeb9e4_story.html

Residents, of which there are 2,700 in the city of Windsor, called for a town meeting to discuss this jackass embarrassment . Dozens (or a dozen) were riled up enough to attend. The city police force (there are 7 of them) were not represented but the elected county sheriff did sit in. Media was well represented. The local (if Va Beach can be considered local) BLM rep attended (one in four residents are Black). Interviews of residents runs the gamut from shame, with comments on racism here as being mostly under the surface but now surfacing, to the view that the city police are preoccupied with enforcing the speed limit on through passers with speed trap zones on the 2 town intersecting state highways which are otherwise patrolled by county sheriffs (they number 42 patrol officers for a county of 27,000, less the populations of the independently policed towns of Windsor and Smithfield (yes, home of the Smithfield Hams) and the Va State Police. The county is rich in 1600's english settlement history.

The city of Windsor sits in the rural south of the county Isle of Wight which is mostly rural and a bedroom community for the Hampton Roads military complex and shipyards.

The rookie hometown grown cop fresh out of the army was not fired, the veteran jackass was. Basically there is little crime to speak of in this sleepy hollow. In the month of Dec 2020 the police force of Windsor made one felony arrest, 10 misdemeanor arrests and 177 traffic stops. In the year 2020 they collected $120,000 in fines, which is one sixth of the town's budget. The police force payroll is over half of the city budget.

The city has promised to improve it's police force but complained that they are limited in the quality of their recruit pool as they are in competition (offering less salary) with Norfolk city, Smithfield city, Franklin city, Hampton Roads city, Suffolk city, the local county Sheriff's force and the VA State police. So yeah, it is akin to Mayberry and the Barney Fife recruit.

My take on Police reform here? Quietly fold the city cops up into the county sheriff's team and set up speed cameras to replace the manned cruisers on the side of the road. Yes,an actual police defund effort. That young rookie probably will find a job beyond his old hometown as a building guard (I hear the U.S. Capitol Police are hiring) and that old jackass veteran would have been given a desk and phone assignment.
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A town in Virginia has agreed to independent reviews of misconduct allegations against its police force to settle a lawsuit filed after a Black and Latino Army lieutenant was pepper sprayed during a traffic stop.

The town of Windsor also agreed to more officer training as part of a settlement agreement signed Thursday. In exchange, the state Attorney General’s Office will drop its argument that Windsor police broke a new law by depriving Caron Nazario of his rights.

Windsor agreed to keep working toward accreditation by the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission. Police also will hold officer training exercises twice a year and submit to the Isle of Wight Commonwealth’s Attorney reviewing any allegations of excessive force or misconduct against its officers.

The Attorney General’s Office said its investigation found that while about 22% of Windsor’s population is Black, they accounted for about 42% of the department’s traffic stops between July 1, 2020, and Sept. 30, 2021. The department also searched more vehicles driven by Black motorists than by white drivers.

Nazario sued the two officers involved in his encounter for $1 million in damages. But in January, a jury in Richmond mostly sided with the officers and awarded the soldier a total of $3,685.

https://apnews.com/...3fe63dd665ccb1736cd4

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply

Prev Next