Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but it works for them

If you ever watch vids of ultras from Ginger Runner or Billy Yang, for instance, they eat pretty good at those - especially the Big Backyard ones where you have "time" to sit for a bit

Grilled cheese sandwiches
Breakfast burritos
French fries
Mac & cheese

As well as pizza, cheeseburgers & Taco Bell

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More power to them.

To each their own. I don't want to throw up any of that---which is exactly what would happen to me if I ate that in the middle of running for "ever".
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
He trained his gut (I asked my coach about this) and I think he was taking 135g per hour. I have used Skratch Labs and can take 75g per hour (I have tested this) without any practice (on the bike I have not tested it on the run). With a few months of training I don't see how I couldn't take close to that without my stomach blowing up (or the other end blowing up). :P

Well that makes all the difference. I'm pretty sure I could eat 500g/hr tacos and hydrate with milkshakes on a bike ride for any number of hours. But I'd immediately poop my pants trying to run after that.
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I failed to mention that on the run i have used 32gi on the run without issues. I have used thee tabs and clif blocks also work well for me on the run. Unfortunately, HI did not sit well with me.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
I had the privilege to race a sprint duathlon this weekend. Ate oatmeal PB and coffee for breakfast 2.5 hrs later I was racing. On the bike I took my aeria hydtation with enough fluid for a couple sips to keep the mouth wet. I use a home made sugar,glu,fru mix that is 50:50 and sodium citrate. Dillution was 50g in 24oz of water, so not too concentrated.

Not even a mile into Run 2 I was attacked by an excruciating side stitch, that wouldn't go away until I stopped with my hands on my knees and burped it out. This cost we a 2nd place finish to falling to 4th.

After some general googling, I thought maybe the straw system is getting too much air in my stomach. Thinking back to my last Olympic tri in 2019, I had the same cramping. Went out and rode a 115mile z2 yesterday. Last 60/70 miles was gatorade, gels, a flat coke, and half a clif bar. Came home and went out for a 5 mile brick. I could feel the same cramping coming in. The upside to this time was that IM pace is slow enough to push the burps out without needing to stop.

What the hell is wrong with me? Anyone else deal with this? Thinking of taking gas x on the bike.

One aspect that has not been mentioned and I think could be worthwhile thinking about is bike fit and how you get fluid out of your front hydration.

Side stitches can also be caused by your diaphragm being insufficiently supplied by oxygen or by stress that you put on the ligaments holding your inner organs and your diaphragm.

Depending on how your bike fit is, you might be too cramped which causes distress while breathing hard. Also, sucking liquid out of your straw might cause significant additional stress to your respiratory muscles. All this could then cause side stitches and cramping and be totally unrelated to your nutrition.

For me I got significantly less stitches when I ditched my front hydration for a BTA squeeze bottle and adopted a more stretched out position on the bike. Also, respiratory muscle training can help.

Good luck.
Uli
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uw234 wrote:
Side stitches can also be caused by your diaphragm being insufficiently supplied by oxygen or by stress that you put on the ligaments holding your inner organs and your diaphragm.

I have found that switching from breathing on the right footstrike to breathing on the left helps alleviate side stitches, too [for a stich on the right side that is - if you're cramping on the left side, you'd flip that]

Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you share any insight on what respiratory training worked for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
Can you share any insight on what respiratory training worked for you?

me personally I am using the Airofit:

https://ch.airofit.com/

they have pre-designed programs to increase respiratory strength.

A cheaper version would be this:

https://www.powerbreathe.com/

Its basically the same just without the App control. I am a man child and like to play with electronics, therefore I like the Airofit. Not sure if I would buy it again though. In terms of results, I have increased my lung volume by a bit and the app tells me that I have increased my inspiratory strength from well below average to well above average (whatever this average means). So, its nice to see some progress. A lot of people would call it snake oil but since I started using it I "think" I have less stitches....not sure if it correlates or is just placebo.

I have recently seen two studies that seemed to indicate there could also be a performance benefit:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33467421/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC7706668/

but for all studies showing a benefit, it seems there is an equal or greater number of studies that does not show any effect....

Sorry, don't want to derail this thread.
Best,
Uli

Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
More power to them.

To each their own. I don't want to throw up any of that---which is exactly what would happen to me if I ate that in the middle of running for "ever".

I have enough trouble completing a Beer Mile

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced again yesterday. Still cramped but I think I may have learned a few things.
I'm suspecting I have issues with wheat so I haven't eaten any for the whole week (No pretzels! T_T )

Race morning, up at 5AM and ate a homemade baked oat bar at 5:15 ~200 calories, and chewed a gasx. Sipping water on the 2 hour drive, stomach is churning, burping up a storm.
Bathroom stop on the way, and again once arriving to the venue. Time is now 8AM, race starts at 9. Warmed up and standing in line for the swim start. Burping like crazy again. Tried to relax change my thinking "this is just a training swim nbd"

Once I got in the water I felt great. Get out on the bike, and drank thru 20oz of fluid with 25g carbs. Career best bike split for what its worth.

Got out to the run, first mile going great. Starting to feel the stomach turn a bit. around mile 2 I had to stop for a few seconds. Hands on knees pushing that gas out, then again around mile 4. Got thru these much faster than at the duathlon because I know how to clear them quickly now. Then in the final .5 mile I wasn't going to stop so pushed thru a 3rd cramp to finish. I probably lost nearly a min on the run.

----
Post race thoughts:
Still got 2nd overall
Very sore abdominals... I feel some of the cramping is due to weak core muscles. I'm sure quarantine hasn't done my core well and tbh I haven't been working on it. So I will be working on daily core excercies.
I'm also wondering if my GI problems are simply just stress and anxiety induced. I may be swalling air and not aware of it. I had zero issues with the oat bars the day before.
Until I get thru IM Tulsa, I will be switching back to Tailwind just to eliminate any possible issue from my DIY mix.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't know what your general diet is like, but all stomach issues I had when running have disappeared completely since I massively reduced my meat consumption.

I'm not strictly vegetarian/ vegan or any diet, just good whole, natural food and reduced the general meat and fish in my diet and the improvements for stomach and general recovery from training, feeling fresher during the day etc. have been very noticeable.

also didn't do it lionel sanders style either by making the change overnight, with no research. my wife and I looked into how to cook more meat-free recipes that contain all of the nutrients and calories required and gradually reduced the meat element.

will still eat meat on occasion if it's something we particularly want, eating out at a restaurant or something like that, but the days of adding meat to meals for the protein myth are long gone. feel much better for it.

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [FtStri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm completely vegan at home apart from occasional desserts I buy. Just easier that way since my girlfriend is actually vegan

Restaurants though it varies if I see something on the menu I like I'll get it but yeah I eat pretty well at home. Beans everyday rice and potatoes, very little bread if any most weeks. Most of my bread consumption comes from hard pretzels

Also going to give not drinking at all a shot. I have been drinking non-alcoholic beer for the last couple of weeks but there's still wheat and getting in there.

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think the gas-x helped? (I'm planning to experiment with it next weekend)

Re: oat bars, I worked with Core Diet on my race nutrition plan and asked them tons about race morning breakfast. They told me oatmeal has too much fiber and can cause a lot of the symptoms you're reporting. They suggested applesauce or plain bagels with jelly, which are much simpler carbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about the gas x tbh... I feel like no, because I was also getting some discomfort in my lower left abdominal area as well. never had that before. Usually its only right under my right rib. And the fact I took the gasx at 5:15 and by the time im in the car around 6 I was already burping

I was also thinking about switch to something like white bread. Applesauce sounds like good idea too. I always got subway the night before a race I was staying overnight for. super simple carbs in the bread. Don't remember it bothering me.

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think it would have made a difference if you waited to take the gas-x until closer to the end of the bike versus before the workout?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was my understanding that it was needed when you ate vs when you actually had the gas. IDK

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
More power to them.

I have enough trouble completing a Beer Mile

I'm guessing one part of becoming an Ultramarathoner, is learning to eat AND THEN run without heaving

Starting small, maybe, with a quarter of a hoagie, a slice of pizza, or an Egg McMuffin followed by a 5K at far less than road race pace?

I mean, if that's what someone is into - which doesn't seem to be for you, so you're good

https://trailrunnermag.com/...id-station-fare.html

Last edited by: RandMart: Apr 26, 21 12:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:

I was also thinking about switch to something like white bread. Applesauce sounds like good idea too. I always got subway the night before a race I was staying overnight for. super simple carbs in the bread. Don't remember it bothering me.

What else is in your subway sandwich? Any processed meats?

I try to avoid too much meat the day before a race ... will usually have pasta, sauce and veggies. Even bolognaise can sit in my stomach the day after and make me feel a bit ill during a race.

Another idea is ... are you eating/drinking dairy and if so, could you be lactose intolerant?
Last edited by: snail: Apr 26, 21 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: Bloating and cramps on the run [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that shitty chicken patty with green peppers usually. Probably more soy than chicken at this point

IG - @ryanppax
Quote Reply

Prev Next