Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon PR and BQ from ST Challenges
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to share my experience/experiment with marathon training and the results. Today I ran a personal best marathon time which also is a BQ time and placed 3rd in AG. Having been a solid MOP runner most my life I thought BQing was just a dream. I’ve run plenty of marathons before today following marathon training plans and never came close to BQing. This year I ran with no plan. I just ran a lot. Close to every day in 2020 as I was chasing the Big Kahuna title. I did run every day and more for the 100/100 challenge. Almost all runs Z1 or Z2. I did bump up the volume mostly by running multiple runs per day ( got scolded for that in 100/100) and never had a run longer than 13. The frequency and volume at easy effort let me BQ today. Pretty darn happy with that result. YMMV
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon PR and BQ from ST Challenges [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No surprise that you BQ'd via bumping up overall mileage by getting there to frequency. This is not rocket science. Everyone fixated on long runs and speedwork when the real thing that gets you to a faster marathon is higher aggregate mileage at the lowest possible average pace over all runs. Question is what's the best way to get to the highest average weekly mileage at the highest aggregate pace across all that volume. The Kenyans in Iten do it through 13x per week runs at 3 min or less per km 'jogging'
Quote Reply