Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Which Cities Have the Best Cycling Culture? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Florida in general im sure is dangerous because of the drivers but in Orlando specifically I dont hear about a lot of accidents. Clermont as a city embraces the cycling culture and most people are very aware of bikers over there. As long as you ride on the popular routes in central Florida you will be fine. The ones that get into trouble are the ones who are riding on major roads expecting it to be like other cities. There's also some decent gravel riding here as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Cities Have the Best Cycling Culture? [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh then you are right in the thick of it! Most challenging road rides in that area will start at the Green Mountain parking lot, area is very hilly and fun. There's also a paved trail you can access in downtown winter garden that goes in both a flat route direction and another that will take you to the same hilly area.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Cities Have the Best Cycling Culture? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
(Eye roll)

Expecting someone from Ottawa to understand culture is a lost cause. Call me when your city doesn't go to bed at 7:45 pm.

The OP is asking about bike culture.. 'good amount of people riding bikes for pleasure, commuting, and just around the city on paths/trails. Also places where people know about their bikes, own bikes, and have a lifestyle where bikes are a part of it'

Based on that, Ottawa is arguably the top Canadian city. Now if you want to discuss other forms of culture then yeah...knock yourself out. (Its almost 7:45 and i gotta get ready for bed)
Last edited by: shady: Apr 16, 21 12:51
Quote Reply
Re: Which Cities Have the Best Cycling Culture? [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to party my ass off in Byward market 20 years ago.
Canada Day was OFF THE CHARTS.
Has the city gone soft?

I have a few friends that moved to Ottawa in recent years and love the endurance sports scene.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Cities Have the Best Cycling Culture? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Has the city gone soft?

I have a few friends that moved to Ottawa in recent years and love the endurance sports scene.

lol.. Nice!! I tipped a few down in the Market around that time too ! Ah the good old days..
Great city for all-season endurance sport . I live right there on the Ottawa River just west of the Market and can be over in Quebec and the Gatineau Park for riding, running and skiing in under 10 minutes!! Unless you are talking North Vancouver I can’t think of any Canadian comparables... although i haven’t riden in Quebec City . That looks like a good spot for riding and nordic skiing
Quote Reply
Re: Which Cities Have the Best Cycling Culture? [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feighathlon wrote:
Fruita, Colorado pretty much tops the list in regards to cycling culture and everything you’ve described. I’ve lived or been to most of the other places mentioned and they don’t really compare. A lot of the town is built around cycling tourism and it being a big part of every day life. The town logo is a capital F inside a bike chainring. They put out Christmas wreathes that look like chainrings in addition to bike related art being everywhere around town. If you don’t have and at least occasionally ride a bike there, then you’re in the minority.

A lot of cycling related companies have been starting to make neighboring Grand Junction their headquarters, and I bought a house here last year too. This area is generally more known for mountain biking, but the road riding is better than anywhere else I’ve been as well. The one thing that it doesn’t really have is a ton of competitive racing. Most people are more laid back with their views on riding, though there are some heavy hitters around. Including the CMU college team who are National Champs in just about every discipline.

This sounds a lot like Northwest Arkansas, which I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Has the city gone soft?

lol.. Nice!! I tipped a few down in the Market around that time too ! Ah the good old days..
Great city for all-season endurance sport . I live right there on the Ottawa River just west of the Market and can be over in Quebec and the Gatineau Park for riding, running and skiing in under 10 minutes!! Unless you are talking North Vancouver I can’t think of any Canadian comparables... although i haven’t riden in Quebec City . That looks like a good spot for riding and nordic skiing

Yeah, I only lived in Ottawa for a year. It's probably the only place I'd move if I was to go East.

If I could earn a living and afford to live there... Vernon makes my list as a great place to live.
Killer cycling routes up and down the valley, both road and gravel.
Open water swimming in Kalamalka.
Trail running that is off the charts.
Amazing weather. Winter gets a bit dreary but a 25min drive gets you Nordic skiing up at Sovereign Lakes or downhill at Silverstar.
By this thread it's NOT a "bike culture" town.... mostly retired asshole boomers from Alberta who still drive gigantic trucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Cities Have the Best Cycling Culture? [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was one of those crazies who rode all year long in Chicago when I lived there. The city has a ton of other problems, but the cycling culture is pretty great.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Cities Have the Best Cycling Culture? [ericdelgRLS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericdelgRLS wrote:
Oh then you are right in the thick of it! Most challenging road rides in that area will start at the Green Mountain parking lot, area is very hilly and fun. There's also a paved trail you can access in downtown winter garden that goes in both a flat route direction and another that will take you to the same hilly area.

Thanks so much! I'm leaving in the morning for the drive down. I'll look for the Green Mountain lot. Maybe I can find some to ride with. Do you of any rides or groups from the bike shop in Clermont?

Thanks!

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
M----n wrote:
(Eye roll)

Expecting someone from Ottawa to understand culture is a lost cause. Call me when your city doesn't go to bed at 7:45 pm.

The OP is asking about bike culture.. 'good amount of people riding bikes for pleasure, commuting, and just around the city on paths/trails. Also places where people know about their bikes, own bikes, and have a lifestyle where bikes are a part of it'

Based on that, Ottawa is arguably the top Canadian city. Now if you want to discuss other forms of culture then yeah...knock yourself out. (Its almost 7:45 and i gotta get ready for bed)
Yeah. I don't go out much at night, but had great times visiting Ottawa for the Keskinada/Gatineau Loppet. I assume in the summer that's a great place for riding.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Which Cities Have the Best Cycling Culture? [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm not sure about group rides in Clermont since I usually do solo or with some of my buddies but i'm sure you can find some Clermont based groups on facebook. I would meet up and show you around but I have Haines City 70.3 tomorrow haha. Most groups either start at Killarney Station or Waterfront Park.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Cities Have the Best Cycling Culture? [cold turtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cold turtle wrote:
Feighathlon wrote:
Fruita, Colorado pretty much tops the list in regards to cycling culture and everything you’ve described. I’ve lived or been to most of the other places mentioned and they don’t really compare. A lot of the town is built around cycling tourism and it being a big part of every day life. The town logo is a capital F inside a bike chainring. They put out Christmas wreathes that look like chainrings in addition to bike related art being everywhere around town. If you don’t have and at least occasionally ride a bike there, then you’re in the minority.

A lot of cycling related companies have been starting to make neighboring Grand Junction their headquarters, and I bought a house here last year too. This area is generally more known for mountain biking, but the road riding is better than anywhere else I’ve been as well. The one thing that it doesn’t really have is a ton of competitive racing. Most people are more laid back with their views on riding, though there are some heavy hitters around. Including the CMU college team who are National Champs in just about every discipline.

This sounds a lot like Northwest Arkansas, which I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet.

Have you spent much time in NW AR? My wife and I are looking to move somewhere this fall to buy a house even if the plan is to only stay there for 5 or so years. I'm an avid mountain biker and love living in SLC for the bike culture, but enough is enough with Utah.

Any idea what it's like living up there? I'm just looking for a place I can leave my house for an enjoyable road ride and has some great trails within at least a 20 or so minute drive.

We both work remote and make a good living, so jobs aren't an issue. Don't need a ton of amazing restaurants, just a few and a good brewery or two and coffee shop.
Last edited by: Ham Sandwich: May 10, 21 16:30
Quote Reply

Prev Next