Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon shoes - a more objective comparison
Quote | Reply
Hi ST,

I thought it'd be interesting to try and compare objectively some of the most popular plated shoes out there with different data and metrics (including durometer, bounciness, pronation, footstrike, etc). In short: more data, and less "subjecive feelings" like in most reviews.

The idea here is not to go after the overall best, but try and determine which one may work better for each type of runner, footstrike, and distance. Or at least get a sense of which shoe people may want to give a go.

Hope this can help and I'm more than happy to discuss the results (keeping in mind they have to be taken with a grain of salt given the nature and protocol of the test).

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Carbon shoes - a more objective comparison [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice video and good information overall. This is really difficult because as you stated every runner is different. Your tested pace is also exceptionally fast compared to the total runners who are running in these shoes.

1. You mentioned you run more forefoot with the Adios Pro and Next %. Just a thought, what’s the stack height of the for shoes specifically in the forefoot?
2. I think you are actually correct your run more midfoot in the lower drop shoes. You feet like all feet settle back on the heel after impact. The lower drop will definitely change how your foot does that.
3. I’m sure you know Asics has two shoes coming out. The one you have is for the “Western” Runner who has a slightly longer stride. The one coming out in June is for the super high cadence (Japanese running form) runner. That would be a good thing to dive into test just like you did here. The two shoes against each other.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Carbon shoes - a more objective comparison [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
Nice video and good information overall. This is really difficult because as you stated every runner is different. Your tested pace is also exceptionally fast compared to the total runners who are running in these shoes.

1. You mentioned you run more forefoot with the Adios Pro and Next %. Just a thought, what’s the stack height of the for shoes specifically in the forefoot?
2. I think you are actually correct your run more midfoot in the lower drop shoes. You feet like all feet settle back on the heel after impact. The lower drop will definitely change how your foot does that.
3. I’m sure you know Asics has two shoes coming out. The one you have is for the “Western” Runner who has a slightly longer stride. The one coming out in June is for the super high cadence (Japanese running form) runner. That would be a good thing to dive into test just like you did here. The two shoes against each other.

Thank you!

1. Good question, they're respectively 30.5mm and 32mm in the forefoot.
2. I was a little surprised to be honest but I had a few theories to explain that, yours being one of them. I will retest for this specific metric at other paces to see how speed affects this.
3. Yes, indeed. This is the first episode of a series that I will update at the end of each quarter with the most recent releases. The Edge version of the MetaSpeed will likely be featured in the Q2 video, due early July. Before that, I will maybe do a side by side comparison with the Sky.

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Alexandre,

Interesting video, the only thing that makes me wonder if the comparison is completely ‘fair’ is that not all shoes are ‘used’ as much equally. Your Vaporfly seems to a bit older and more used then the Metaspeed Sky, which is just released. Same for the other models.
I think for a real analyses or comparison all shoes need to be in the same ball park of km’s run in them.

Also interesting is that according to your data the Vaporfly is the shoe that you pronate the most in, but if I understood you correct, you choose it still for the marathon distance because you feel it is the most supportive when your form/footstrike detoriates under fatigue.

But I think we experience the same on the Metaspeed Sky, easy to run higher cadence, they feel fast and are fast. Ran my fastest 3 x 3km blocks 2 days ago. But tried the today at a normal full distance tri run speed of 12 km/ph and just ran so easy 4:40’s per km.
A little less forward roll then the Endorphin Pro’s, but thick cushioned forefoot.

Looking forward to your new episode, keep up the good work!

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon shoes - a more objective comparison [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply and the encouragements, Jeroen. Very true on the wear of shoes, another bias for this test - especially for the durometer/bounciness parts I think.

Indeed the metrics show the highest pronation angle with the VF, which is interesting to have in mind (although pronation is not bad as such). In the next one I will also include pronation velocity, which in turn has a higher correlation with injury risk. And indeed I feel like the VF would still have my preference for a full marathon, mostly because of the heel cushion that is superior to the others. This being said, and in the light of this data (and additional data sets that I have collected) I am trying to run my intervals sets in other shoes than the Vaporfly, or at least rotate a bit more for that too.

Alex

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pronation is not bad at all, the velocity of it may be a greater indicator of it indeed. I didn’t now the runscribe pods displays these metrics and even possible in displaying sacral/hip angles which i find even more interesting at different speeds and on different shoes.
So just ordered the whole set ;-)

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Q2 2021 Carbon Data Time!

Resurrecting this thread as another Quarter ended and it brought a lot of new carbon-plated shoes to the market.

Again I'm trying to do these comparisons keeping in mind that all these shoes are great, but they may have features working better for some specific biomechanics, needs, distances and so on.

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply