Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scicon Aerocomfort Road vs. Tri (for Road Bike)
Quote | Reply
I have a road bike, but have access to the tri version of the scicon aerocomfort. I think the version i'm looking at might be version 2.0. not sure that matters for my question, but putting it out there

How does a road bike fit in the TRI version of the scicon aerocomfort? Good? Or, too big?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon Aerocomfort Road vs. Tri (for Road Bike) [sprimack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the tri one and never put a road bike in it but all it will be is a bit longer on the front. It should not matter though it is just extra fabric. It put the shiv disc into mine and fold down the handlebars so i also have extra fabric there as the bag is wider but no issues there. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the tri 2.0, the road bike fits in it fine, flown with it a bunch. No issues at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sprimack wrote:
I have a road bike, but have access to the tri version of the scicon aerocomfort. I think the version i'm looking at might be version 2.0. not sure that matters for my question, but putting it out there

How does a road bike fit in the TRI version of the scicon aerocomfort? Good? Or, too big? Thanks

this is a soft case yes?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have used the tri version for road bike with no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon Aerocomfort Road vs. Tri (for Road Bike) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
sprimack wrote:

How does a road bike fit in the TRI version of the scicon aerocomfort? Good? Or, too big? Thanks

this is a soft case yes?

Softcase, with internal frame to hold the bike at the dropouts, sold as the easiest bag to ship a bike in (just take off the wheel, no other disassembly required)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes. why do you ask? Is that not allowed anymore by the airlines?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sprimack wrote:
yes. why do you ask? Is that not allowed anymore by the airlines?

it is allowed. but you lose certain rights, in case the bike is damaged. here are the rules published by american airlines:
  • Bicycle is in a hard-sided case, bicycle bag or box built for bicycle transport
  • Handlebars are fixed sideways
  • Pedals are removed; or pedals and handlebars are wrapped in plastic foam or a similar material
  • Please note that if your bicycle is not in a hard-sided case, it will be treated as a fragile item.
under the "liability" clause, the rules say:

We will only be liable for any damage to sports equipment if:
  • They are in hard-sided case
  • The outside of the case is visibly damaged
Items not properly packed in a hard-sided case will be treated as fragile items.

so i wonder these days when so many good hard shell cases are available, at reasonable prices, whether there's still any reason to buy a soft shell case.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Apr 8, 21 7:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question, but the AA rule states: "We will only be liable for any damage to sports equipment if: The outside of the case is visibly damaged."

How often is the outside of a hard case damaged? I'd hazard to guess not that many times. What does handling something as a "fragile" item mean?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sprimack wrote:
Good question, but the AA rule states: "We will only be liable for any damage to sports equipment if: The outside of the case is visibly damaged."

How often is the outside of a hard case damaged? I'd hazard to guess not that many times. What does handling something as a "fragile" item mean?

i don't know. i only know what i wrote, and that if you use a soft shell case you're giving the airline a get out of jail free card. therefore, if a hard shell case is no more costly than a soft shell case, why onboard that kind of liability on yourself if you don't need to? if you do everything you're asked to do, and your bike is damaged, you at least have a fighting chance.

and btw, i snap pics of my bike when i pack it, as it sits in the case, before i close up the case. whenever i ship a bike, whether by parcel delivery or in a bike case, whether by airline or by fedex or UPS, i snap pics on my iphone before i close up the case or box. i can easily delete the pics later, if all arrives okay and in good shape.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you might be right about the solid vs. soft case dilemma. Case closed as they say.

It took some googling, but here it is
"What we don't cover
We don't cover loss or damage to:* * * * *Fragile Items" (See https://www.aa.com/...ions-of-carriage.jsp).

In addition, "Items not properly packed in a hard-sided case will be treated as fragile items."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sprimack wrote:
I think you might be right about the solid vs. soft case dilemma. Case closed as they say.

It took some googling, but here it is
"What we don't cover
We don't cover loss or damage to:* * * * *Fragile Items" (See https://www.aa.com/...ions-of-carriage.jsp).

In addition, "Items not properly packed in a hard-sided case will be treated as fragile items."

note what i wrote above, that i snap pics of my bike as it goes into the case, and i snap pics as i open the case. if the bike is damaged, i want to make sure it got packed the way i packed it, that is, if TSA packed it in some other way, i want to note that.

over the past year we upgraded our attention to the topic of travel. we have a curated thread that we pay attention to, just on the topic of travel. we publish guidance on how to deal with the TSA and the FAA. we occasionally do product reviews of cases. so, take into account the resources here. we're happy to help.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply