Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mechanical ??? for trashed DI2 drivetrain...
Quote | Reply
So thanks to my age and COVID I spent the last year on Zwift. Time flies and I honestly paid no attention to the bike on the trainer. I began hearing this clunking and slipping in the big chain ring which didn’t go away with oiling the chain. Also noted silvery powder on the crankset. Checked stats and I’ve pedaled around 5000 trainer miles, so I thought new chain for sure. Turns out, though, the teeth on the big ring are ground down and the clunking/slipping was the chain skimming over the teeth. So, new big chain ring for sure, small one not needed as I never really used it. I think I’m stuck with getting a dura ace chain ring for the crankset but wondering if I can use a cheaper chain and cog set as the bike will mainly be used on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical ??? for trashed DI2 drivetrain... [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roubaixman wrote:
So thanks to my age and COVID I spent the last year on Zwift. Time flies and I honestly paid no attention to the bike on the trainer. I began hearing this clunking and slipping in the big chain ring which didn’t go away with oiling the chain. Also noted silvery powder on the crankset. Checked stats and I’ve pedaled around 5000 trainer miles, so I thought new chain for sure. Turns out, though, the teeth on the big ring are ground down and the clunking/slipping was the chain skimming over the teeth. So, new big chain ring for sure, small one not needed as I never really used it. I think I’m stuck with getting a dura ace chain ring for the crankset but wondering if I can use a cheaper chain and cog set as the bike will mainly be used on the trainer.

Pretty sure you can use any shimano chain ring that has the same bolt pattern (ultegra, 105 etc).

Or if you want to stay with the higher quality DA chainring, you could get one, and then also buy a really cheap tiagra crankset for like $60 to install on your bike for trainer season, throw the DA back on for outdoor season.
For the rear cassette, literally any 11 speed cassette from any company should work as they are generally spaced the same (Campy, Shimano, SRAM, etc). But I do find shimano runs the smoothest. I'd just get a 105 11 speed cassette for the trainer. Same with chain, just get whatever 11 speed chain you want. I've had great luck with $25 KMC chains and they come with a quick link.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Apr 7, 21 11:08
Quote Reply
Re: Mechanical ??? for trashed DI2 drivetrain... [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roubaixman wrote:
Thanks,

Oh, sorry, one other thing - your trainer obviously has a shimano splined freehub on it (assuming your current cassette is shimano). So don't buy a campy cassette, lol. But Shimano or Sram 11 speed cassettes should all fit fine. :)
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Apr 7, 21 11:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps obvious but worth stating make sure you check the headset, stem, front brakes and BB for sweat and wear/tear. Prob worth checking seat tube as well...

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcannuck's response has some good info, but the comment that any chainring of the same bolt pattern 'will likely work' is not correct.

What crank, not just DA, but series (e.g. 7900, 9000, 9100) do you have. While the bolt pattern of 9000 and 9100 might be similar, shimano added some 'curves' to the interface between the crank and chainrings that makes them incompatible. Check out this blog post. About half way down, there's a picture of a 9000 chainring incompatibility with a 9100 crank.

I agree with the suggestion that a great approach is to buy some cheap drivetrain parts that you install when your bike is on the trainer. A new DA chainring costs more than a tiagra crank, chain, and cassette (...well, you may need 105 chain and cassette for 11s compatibility).
Quote Reply