Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Aidendoestri
Last edited by: Aidendoestri: Apr 6, 21 15:03
Re: Swim technique help (video) [Aidendoestri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you also post any comparable video of you from above water, from the pool deck?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Swim technique help (video) [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is ok, but you really need to have some video where the camera person follows you for most (some?) of a pool length, and gets video from above / from the side.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aidendoestri wrote:
Hi people, I’ve finally got back into the pool after being stuck in lockdown for months. I took a couple of short videos today to see where I can improve my stroke. I’ve not had an analysis since November 2019 so I am long overdue an analysis of my technique and I feel like this is what I need to take my swimming to the next level.

before lockdown I was averaging 1:20/1:25 for Olympic interval effort swim, Cruising at 1:30/1:35 and Max sprinting at >1:10

Is that mins/100m or 100yards and is it in a 50m pool or 25m pool or 25 yard pool?
And were those times done wearing a wetsuit? There's a huge difference between wetsuit in a 25y pool and bathers in a 50m pool. As much as 12 - 15s.
Last edited by: zedzded: Apr 6, 21 19:18
Quote Reply
Re: Swim technique help (video) [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You probably need to do some videos without a wetsuit on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take off the wetsuit you are in a heated pool? I think your elbows need to be a little higher during the catch. You are gliding too much. Did you change your stroke because you are being filmed? It doesn’t look natural
Quote Reply
Re: Swim technique help (video) [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Abergili wrote:
Take off the wetsuit you are in a heated pool? I think your elbows need to be a little higher during the catch. You are gliding too much. Did you change your stroke because you are being filmed? It doesn’t look natural

Yup that's why I was saying ditch the wetsuit. Try and glide like that in bathers you'll sink!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim technique help (video) [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And it might be an idea to film when either swimming slow or the last 50m of a 400m TT i.e when you are tired and your stroke is at it's worst, rather than swimming fresh and fast. A lot of flaws can be hidden when you swim fast e.g body position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SWIMFAST

Rory, the owner, is excellent. And absurdly cheap for the boutique level service offered. Worth at least an email. I have no affiliation. He's just got his business model dialed and is a great coach. I'm just not sure how he makes money.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There will be better swimmers and coaches than me along to comment (severalalready have).

But - for 1 item - you mentioned something not right with your left arm not feeling as good as you right. Your left arm definitely pulls downwards at the early part of the stroke and you can see your left arm reaching downwards more in the water than your right by the time it's half way through the stroke.
I'd suspect it could be 'reaction' to what's going on with breathing maybe to the right (?? Not certain as the video don't get enough of that from above the water that my aging eyes can make out).
I say this as I sort of recognise it from my swimming a few years ago where I was doing that a bit on one side to compensate for breathing where I wasn't rotating properly to hreathe but was inatwad lifting my head on one side - but fine on the other side).

Check when swimming- when breathing, are you getting just 1 eye out of the water but the other one still beneath the surface? (You should !).
If you're levering your head out more, it could be your arm is pulling down to do it. Then your kick and hips themselves compensate too.

As the other folks suggest, take the wetsuit off as it can mask many problems (I know mine does !! especially with not much lwarm water swimming opportunities the past 13 months to go non wetsuit here due to covid)
Quote Reply