Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone got faster swim time despite COVID closure?
Quote | Reply
In December 2019, my 1500 pool time was 28'54", which was more than 2 minutes drop from over 31 minutes in October. I attributed it to technique improvement from coaching, consistent interval training in the pool, and also the temperature drop as well.

Pool closed since February 2020 until mid-May, then mid-July to mid-September, then December to March again.

I timed again on 1st April. 26'49", i.e. another 2 minutes drop from pre-COVID despite pool temperature went up to 27°C already.

I can't explain how I dropped 2 minutes over the COVID year not being able to do interval training most of the year. Does anyone here else got similar improvement?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got faster swim time despite COVID closure? [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I am swimming faster than I ever have now. No special explanation... I took a couple months off at the beginning of pandemic and then resumed with a slightly shorter workout than before (to fit within reservation window). It probably helps that my starting point was (is) mediocrity, but it has probably just been good discipline of hitting every workout and realizing general progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got faster swim time despite COVID closure? [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a lot of stretch cord work when pools were closed.
When I got back to swimming I was slower by about 5 seconds per 100y, but came back in about 2 weeks.
Now I'm actually a few seconds faster per 100y than before covid.

I think the stretch cords work may actually be beneficial even when the pool is open since it is very focused on specific muscle group. But maybe its something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While the pools were closed, I spent what was my swim time, in the gym lifting weights. Once I got back in the water, and got reacclimatized after a few weeks, not only was I faster, but holding a faster speed longer, became easier. I used to struggle to get to 20K a week in the pool, and now I'm hitting over 30K a week easily, at a faster average pace than before. Needless to say, the weightlifting has become a permanent part of my routine now.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply