Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stinky pain cave and HVAC planning
Quote | Reply
Any advice in regards to HVAC planning for a new house with a pain cave? My current workout space is in the garage and not connected to the houses HVAC. It stinks/has stale air and I don't want to stink up the new house by circulating that air throughout the house. Is this an issue or have others found the typical HVAC filters well enough?
Quote Reply
Re: Stinky pain cave and HVAC planning [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a zoned system between my basement and main floor. No issues with stinky air going upstairs. Basement can smell when I am working out, but it quickly dissipates after the workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a non-issue. I use an extra bedroom as my pain cave and the temperature and smell normalizes within 10 mins after any session.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Apr 4, 21 21:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a Mitsubishi split AC

We use them for our IT rooms and the temp in those rooms gets down to the low 60's

Do one for your bedroom also and sleep in super comfort.
Quote Reply
Re: Stinky pain cave and HVAC planning [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
This is a non-issue. I use an extra bedroom as my pain cave and the temperature and smell normalizes within 10 mins after any session.
You sure you're not getting olfactory fatigue?

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Stinky pain cave and HVAC planning [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trust me my wife's nose is the official measuring stick. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say calculate at least 12 air exchanges per hour and give a 20 or 30 percent buffer for vent pipe lengths or restricted air flow. but you for sure need a exhaust fan. for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wjoiner wrote:
Any advice in regards to HVAC planning for a new house with a pain cave? My current workout space is in the garage and not connected to the houses HVAC. It stinks/has stale air and I don't want to stink up the new house by circulating that air throughout the house. Is this an issue or have others found the typical HVAC filters well enough?

If you're seriously concerned with odor, and I mean like absolutely can't have it, then in the room where the pain cave is put a split AC unit like someone said, Mitsubishi or whatever, not ducted just a unit in the room with a condenser outside, AND put a small exhaust fan that exhausts outside. Something like you'd have in a bathroom, maybe 100 to 200 CFM max. Put it on a switch so on the extra stinky days you have it on for a while after but can turn it off once the room is de-stunk You'll theoretically pull some air from the adjacent space (assuming a hallway or whatever the door to the pain cave opens up to) so there's no way the odor leaves that room while the fan is on. You're wasting some energy probably and depending on how your whole house is set up maybe pulling more of a negative than you want, but if you're just talking a small toilet exhaust fan over an entire house you're most likely ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wjoiner wrote:

Just a suggestion but you can always get a HVAC 3m Filtrete carbon filter to help with odors. They offer better filters, but the best one with their odor reduction is probably the following.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply