Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Summer Epic Bike Adventure - Recommendations?
Quote | Reply
Looking for recommendations for an epic bike adventure for this summer. It looks like am going to have somewhere between 1-3 weeks from around late July through August to do something big and fun pretty much anywhere in continental US. Could be a multiday race, a tour, a do it yourself trip - just as long as it involves riding my bike (a lot). Its not often I have time to do something like this so I'd be greatly interested to hear any suggestions or recommendations from others who have done something like this in the past. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Epic Bike Adventure - Recommendations? [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's always RAGBRAI - looks like they're going ahead with it this year.

Then there's this - it looks like it's defunct, but it was a self-supported "race" anyway (only a small number of people did it each year, and most weren't racing to win per se). I found the old info on Wayback: https://web.archive.org/...teensmazama1000.com/

That would take you through beautiful parts of Oregon, though a big stretch of it was destroyed in last fall's wildfires, sad to say. It would be a good DIY ride if you're okay with camping. I had mapped it out one year and with the distances the way they were, could find motels to stay at along the route, but again with the fires, not sure that's still doable.

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bikepack highway 1 from Mexico to Canada or other way around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road, gravel, or mtb?

Either way, Western Spirit bike guides has some awesome trips. I've done about 10 trips with them and they've never dissapointed.

RAGBRAI has a lottery you have to enter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://sanjuanhuts.com/mtb/mountain-bike-trips

I'm doing one of these this summer. You could do one with your own rides before and after.
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Epic Bike Adventure - Recommendations? [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New England and northern NY are one of the nicest places in the US you can ride in the summer. If the Canadian border re opens my bucket list ride is to follow the St. Lawrence out past Quebec City.
Quote Reply
Re: Summer Epic Bike Adventure - Recommendations? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a particular big route up there that folks ride? Curious because my wife’s family has a camp on the St Lawrence on the US side that I could base out of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you just have the single to few weeks, I would look at Hwy 1 either starting or ending in San Diego, and doing the CA coast(if a week) or continuing through Oregon(two weeks)and or Washington(3 weeks). It is a spectacular ride along the coastline, with a ton of historic and legendary places to stop along the way. Just have to figure out which direction, north to south usually has the better wind..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife’s family has a place on the American side of the St. Lawrence. I’ve ridden the chunks of the Seaway Trail and it’s gorgeous.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Highway 1 on the West Coast is great. Ride from the north, not the south. Take the train back to your start.

Second the recommendation for Western Spirit tours. It is always nice to let somebody else do some of the planning and work.

We've thought about a bike/drive loop trip. Napa, Crater Lake, someplace TBD, Glacier NP, then work back south through Utah to Zion and Moab. Details to be worked out.

We've done some of that loop, but it was MTB with more driving than riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is brand new so I don’t know what end to end would be like, but should be some nice riding!

https://empiretrail.ny.gov/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you going to have a sag wagon or otherwise the ability to ride point to point? Seems like that's mostly what suggestions you are getting. Point to point riding the Natchez Trace sounds pretty cool to me. Otherwise, there are many great base options to ride in summer. VT is a good choice in general, you could do six gaps and/or 200 on 100 (also requires some logistics/sag help).

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anywhere along the St Lawrence seaway is awesome between Watertown and Plattsburgh. There is great riding up there and you can go a little south of the seaway valley and do the edge of the Adirondacks which gets your more elevation, you could circumnavigate Lake Champlain which is also popular. No particular route but its hard to go wrong with probably 90% of the roads up there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't done it on a bike (only driving), but would love to ride the Icefields Highway between Banff and Jasper. Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this route. I think that would be a great time of year to do that ride.

If you need to stay in the US, it depends on what you want. Mountains? Gravel? Coast? I live in flat Florida so always try to get in climbs when I ride so I often head to the North Carolina mountains or occasionally Colorado. Great riding in those places. Where are you thinking of going?
Quote Reply