Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Fit Progression
Quote | Reply
I am linking some videos below of the progression of my fit adjustments. I welcome any constructive criticisms regarding potential improvements. Comments that I should lose weight or buy a different bike will be understood, but not necessarily acted on.

Here was the starting point. The frame size is Small, which was the size recommended by the fit guide, but the cockpit felt cramped.

I switched to a longer stem. I felt I could hold a lower position, so I turned the stem for a negative angle. I received comments that I should switch to shorter cranks in order to open my hip angle.

Changing the crank length required changing the bottom bracket and the chain rings. The original cranks were 170 mm. The new ones are 155 mm. Reducing the crank length 15 mm led to raising the seat 15 mm. I inserted shims to angle the aerobars upward to stop the sensation that I was at risk of sliding off the front of the bike. I also inserted some spacers below the aerobars to reduce the amount I had to bend my neck to see forward. There didn't seem to be any reason to raise the base bars, so I left the stem with a negative angle.

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Progression [Fredo_Adagio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like your saddle is a bit high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You point your toes a good amount near the bottom of the pedal stroke. That's not the end of the world. Some really good cyclists do that. But the middle of the bell curve would be to have a flatter foot position at that point.

But your saddle position is already looking borderline high looking at your minimal knee flexion while at the bottom of the stroke. So that might be related, e.g. you're having to "reach" with your toes to get to the bottom of the stroke.

I know it's an ST meme, but your saddle might be a little too high.

Edit: Dang, Jim beat me to it!
Last edited by: trail: Apr 3, 21 18:13
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Progression [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
It looks like your saddle is a bit high.

bout an inch or so i'd say
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Progression [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the comments. I hadn't considered how far my foot was angled downward at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

I went back to the old rule of thumb that the heal of the shoe should just reach the pedal at the bottom of the pedal stroke. This led me to move the seat down 2 cm. I also moved the aerobars down 1.5 cm. While trying that position on the trainer, I pondered raising the saddle back up slightly, perhaps 0.5 cm, but I can see in the video that my foot is still angled downward at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And you still need more reach to the armpads, about 25-30 mm or so.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Last edited by: TRIPRO: Apr 5, 21 1:55
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Progression [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, more reach needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Progression [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet if you put ur elbows actually onto the pads and then have ur hands cover the shifters it would get the reach you need
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you always pedal that slowly? Show us at race cadence/power.

Along with doing the above re gripping the bars at the ends (drape your hands over the shifters) and moving elbows forward, I (as a non-expert) would consider lifting the bars a bit so you can relax your shoulders into the fit more.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Progression [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks for all the comments.

I moved the elbow pads forward 3 cm and made corresponding changes to my hand position. I have been accustomed to gripping the aerobars just behind the shifters. I have now moved my hands 3 cm forward so that my fingers are over the shifters.

Regarding elbow position relative to the elbow pads, I find it more comfortable to have my elbows just behind the pads.

I have been watching bike fit videos. Fraser Cartmell has his elbows immediately behind the pads and his fingers over the ends of the aerobars.

Paula Findlay just released a wind tunnel video. She also has her fingers over the ends of the aerobars. For the early wind tunnel tests, her elbows are just behind the pads, but she seems to have her elbows over the pads in the final scenes.

One thing that influenced me in both videos is the discussion of relaxing the shoulders. In Fraser's bike fit, this is accomplished in part by setting the elbow pads wide. This is something I have adopted on my own bike. My hands are close together, but I have the elbow pads mounted at their widest setting. Of course, narrower is probably better for aerodynamics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks so much better. Regarding the place of the elbows on the pad it is a matter of personal preference. If you like the tip of your elbow slitghly behind, no problem, if you can set your pad 10 mm forward you will have that position of the elbow.
If you pull your elbow back, the fit will slightly change. I would advise to not have the hands really over the shifters but the have the thumb on the edge of the shifter.

Relaxing the shoulders is getting used to this position and it is possible with narrower pads then the widest setting. It doesn't have to do a lot with flexibility but it is more getting used to it and spend enough time in this position. I'm pretty inflexible in my shoulder area and changed to pro-like width of the armpads 2 years ago.
That costed me some discomfort/tension for the firts 4 rides, after that it felt okay and now it is a comfortable as the wider position was.

But your fit now looks much better!

Best,

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"elbow pads 3cm forward" is the start of a good position.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply